Sign in to follow this  
Brickadier General

Review: 7885 Batman - Robin's Scuba Jet: Attack of the Penguin

Hi all, so I was at "The Wal-Mart" yesterday and had the munchies and was looking for something to eat. Somewhere along the line, I stopped caring about food and decided to browse the toy department to see what they had Lego-wise. Usually, they have jack squat, but on this particular day they had a lot of new sets. I impulsively picked this set up, along with Harley Quinn's Hammer Truck and the new little campsite from the Indy 4 line. I must say, when I first saw images of this set I wasn't exactly thrilled or anything. I mean, I didn't really see anything particularly special about it, but after purchasing it, I must admit that I would consider it a must buy for any Lego fan. But enough babbling about myself. Onward with the review (my first of an official set)!

review_a.jpg

In this picture, you can see everything you get with the set. I thought the box-art was pretty nice looking. The manual, on the other hand, took somewhat of a beating within the box, a common problem with most more recent sets. I do have to say that I wish they would at least make some effort in fixing this. They could just make a little thin cardboard "folder" to minimize bending and tears.

review_b.jpg

For Batman minifig collector's, the highlight of this set are the Robin and Penguin figs. Previously, you could only get them in the pricey Bat-Cave set, but this set provides a much cheaper alternative. One thing you will notice, however, is that Robin's hairpiece is a new mold, as it is actually a black version of Mutt's hair (from the Indy 4 line). Personally, I think it actually looks better than the hairpiece used on the older version of Robin.

review_c.jpg

As the Batcave had before it, this set comes with some bricks to make two cute (but deadly) penguins. They help add more charm to an already charming set.

review_d.jpg

When you're finished building, you'll end up with a nice little assortment of extra parts; 1 black "cheese slope," 3 1x1 tile (black, yellow and white), a revolver, a technic pin, and a 1x1 red round plate.

review_e.jpg

Here's Robin's Scuba Jet. It's nice and sleek looking. Notable parts of interest would probably be the green turbine engines. My only complaint on this one would have to be the use of decals on the 2x2 round yellow tiles. For that type of a part, printing seems as though it would have been the best way to go.

review_g.jpg

Now for, in my opinion, the best part of the set...the Penguin's sub. This set has more decals than Robin's Scuba Jet, but they seem more necessary in this case. I actually wanted to put the decal's on the sub, as I think the it looks great with them. Obviously, it looks like a penguin, but wow, does it ever do it with style! It has a lot of interactive features, the first of which I will mention, being the periscope which raises up and down. And for the collectors of parts in new colors, it has a few parts in medium orange?, such as 2x2 tile.

review_h.jpg

Here's a shot of the bottom of the sub.

review_i.jpg

Another nifty little feature is how you can lift the top off and fit the penguin inside. And there is enough room inside, so that you can firmly place top on again, and without interference to the movement of the periscope.

review_j.jpg

Another little feature is the rear spring-loaded missile. You just tilt the small lever toward the front of the sub, and it fires.

review_k.jpg

And the last small feature are the flick-missiles on each side.

Overall, this is a great set with a lot to offer for a decent price. A lot of fans might view the only drawback to it as being the use of decals, but if you plan on keeping the kit together they make it look really fantastic. Buy it if you can.

Matt

Edited by imperialshadows

Great review!

Though you really seem to like this set, and it probably is a great one, I'm not a fan of the penguin sub, or at least I'm not from what I see. :sad:

Thanks a lot! ) I've already ordered it but now I'll be waiting for it even more! ) Thanks! ) :thumbup:

Hi all, so I was at "The Wal-Mart" yesterday and had the munchies and was looking for something to eat. Somewhere along the line, I stopped caring about food and decided to browse the toy department to see what they had Lego-wise.

Thank you very much for that neat review, Brickadier General .... I´m glad that you changed your mind, a review of a burger wouldn´t

be half that interesting for sure. :tongue::thumbup:

It´s just a mediocre set to me, but of course it´s always cool to get important MFs in less pricy sets. I like the Penguin´s sub from the

Batcave more, just because they did a fine job on resembling a penguin without using a sticker.... Robins craft looks fairly nice, but the

most useful parts of the whole set, for me personally, would be those indeed very neat green engines. :classic:

Great review!

Though you really seem to like this set, and it probably is a great one, I'm not a fan of the penguin sub, or at least I'm not from what I see. :sad:

It's not for everybody. Personally, I just bought the set for the figures, and I was originally just going to sort the parts and put them away in storage

Thank you very much for that neat review, Brickadier General .... I´m glad that you changed your mind, a review of a burger wouldn´t

be half that interesting for sure. :tongue::thumbup:

It´s just a mediocre set to me, but of course it´s always cool to get important MFs in less pricy sets. I like the Penguin´s sub from the

Batcave more, just because they did a fine job on resembling a penguin without using a sticker.... Robins craft looks fairly nice, but the

most useful parts of the whole set, for me personally, would be those indeed very neat green engines. :classic:

Yes, it probably would have been nicer if they would have at least done a brick built beak for the front of the sub. Unfortunately, I never got my hands on the Batcave set, so I never was able to build the original sub.

Yay, another Technic shooter!! Whew, I need a spare one in case the 14,348 other ones that I have all happen to break. Seriously, do Lego set designers get some sort of bonus for incorporating catapults, Technic shooters, and / or flick-fire missiles???

Anyway, thanks for the review. Looks like a cute set.

Thanks for the review!

I love this set, i didn't think it was much at first either, but i really love it. Another cheaper Robin and Penguin is great, and those nifty mini penguins are awesome. The spare pieces are even nice! :oh:

I love Robin's little scuba jet, those green engines are very nice and I love it compactness. Penguin's sub is even better, at first I was annoyed at getting two subs but now I realise it means I can have a fleet of them :devil:

I'll be sure to mod over those cannons though, but the details are very slick. Thanks again.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Thanks for the great review, Brickadier General! :sweet:

The sub looks very nice, and I like the idea of a raising periscope (did the Batcave sub have that feature?) and the details on the sub look very nice. The inclusion of The Penguin, Robin and two of those great brick-built penguins really confirms that I'll be getting this, considering that I didn't purchase the Batcave.

However, I am rather dissapointed that this set is so similar to the vehicles of Penguin and Robinin repectively in the Batcave set. I feel that it only really caters to those who havn't bought the set, and I would've much appreciated different vehicles.

Overall, a very nice set, perhaps the best of the 2008 wave, despite it's lack of originality. Thank you very much for the review BG :classic:

I was never considering getting this set as I don't really like Batman, but if I found this set and had some money with me, I would buy it! Ii would use it for Indiana JOnes or something, and the revolevers and :wub: Top hats!

The only problem I see with the box-art is that the penguin is drowning! :grin:

Looks like a cool set, but the hairpiece for Robin is vary disapointing, I would be so glad is they used the regular hair you see all the time. I hope lego will not make a habit of using that hairpiece on other figures.

The only problem I see with the box-art is that the penguin is drowning! :grin:

Is not! :angry:

He just received underwater breathing super-powers and.... and.... Oh, well! ) :hmpf_bad::tongue:

Speaking seriously, great review, BTW! ) Thanks! ) :thumbup:

One question: the teeth are printed on the sticker, aren't they? ) And are not on the box? ) :classic:

Good day, gentlemen! ) :sweet: