Sign in to follow this  
Shadows

Historic Computer Series: Macintosh Classic

As requested here:

Well, time to request something in the realm of possibility.

...snip...

A Mac classic

... use what bricks you think would work best, thanks.

I had some question as to the exact colour of a Mac, as it's been a long time since I've seen one in person, but my best estimation says that LEGO tan is as close as it gets. The main colour is easily adjusted with a simple flood fill, but the inside tube frame area wouldn't be quite so easy, if you were to try adjusting it somehow.

The end result is for printing on a 2x2 tile, much like the monitor tiles LEGO produces. That seemed to best represent the proportional size in relation to a 1x4 tile keyboard. I would attach the tile to a 1x2 hinge brick, placed on top of a 2x2 brick, with a 1x2 behind it. A 2x2 plain tile on top could finish out the look. I'm sure there are a few ways it could be assembled. I'd love to see your end result.

Ok, for some reason I assumed it was monochrome like the early Apples I played around with as a little kid. I realise now it wasn't, but they still look good to me.

Click the thumbnails for the full size decals. These are meant to be printed to a size of 1.551cm x 1.551cm (which is roughly 835dpi at this resolution).

mac_classic_lit.png_thumb.jpg mac_classic_unlit.png_thumb.jpg

Lit and Unlit

Let me know what you think. :classic:

:laugh: They gave me a laugh. Nice job Shadows!

These decals look very realistic and would be great for a MAC fan. Thanks also for the step by step instructions for assembly, I understand all the steps except the last one, where is the 2x2 tile supposed to go? Does it stick out the back? :sceptic:

Anyway, very nice and detailed decals. You are getting to be an artist with these! (definitely behond me at least :grin: ).

These decals look very realistic and would be great for a MAC fan.

I assume that's why maiq requested it. :wink:

Thanks also for the step by step instructions for assembly, I understand all the steps except the last one, where is the 2x2 tile supposed to go? Does it stick out the back? :sceptic:

Wasn't my favourite method of building it anyway. How about this?

mac_plans.png

Yes, the printed tile would spin on the pin, but once in place, it isn't like you'd be moving it around all the time.

The only part I debated was the bottom brick. Two plates would make it shorter, I just don't know which height is correct.

I love the color of these old computer.

Well done, I would like to see how you do an iMac

Nice decal! Though current Macs are white, seems like the new technology color. (White Wii, Xbox 360, and so on.)

Excellent decal, I love it! :classic:

"The only part I debated was the bottom brick. Two plates would make it shorter, I just don't know which height is correct."

I think the design looks good. While two plates would probably make the height more accurate, it would also leave the "crease" betweet the bricks. Then again, that may be hidden by the tile anyways. All a matter of preference, and what bricks you have available I'm sure.

Now you just need to do a keyboard decal in tan and you'll be set! (Could probably just use a tan 1 x 1 round for use as a mouse.)

~Amanda

Danke Schon!

Also, i made some customized versions:

impshadows.png

1: Booting up

2: In use

3: SAD MAC! (Insert long drawn-out :vader: -style "Nooooo!")

Also, i guess that another decal i requested (the Apple LISA/Mac XL) could probably use that technique on a slightly larger scale (2x4 instead of 2x2)

Edited by maiq the liar

1: Booting up

Oooh, please, could you post the full size of this one! I miss my Mac Classic. :cry_happy:

A very good work, back to the future on! :thumbup:

Danke Schon!

Also, i made some customized versions:

Are there full-sized versions?

Also, i guess that another decal i requested (the Apple LISA/Mac XL) could probably use that technique on a slightly larger scale (2x4 instead of 2x2)

I'm not a fan of STAMPs (STickers Across Mutiple Parts), so I was going to try it as a 2x2 next to a 2x2, keeping the width right for the keyboard. Problem is, the monitor is really too wide and the drives too narrow. I guess I'll resort to a 2x4 decal, but just hate that it goes across 2 tiles.

Whatever the case, I'm working on it now, so keep an eye out for a new thread eventually. It looks good, I just need a better logo and drive markings shot to finish up.

It might be fun to make a decal for one of the more famous games back then, something like Crystal Quest, Lemmings or Maelstrom. :grin:

I have an old Mac from that period that I still keep in service. It has tons of cool games on it. Some work in emulators on modern systems, but not all.

Ahh, I remember my Mac Classic. I always played GliderPro on it :cry_happy:. Good times, good times. Thanks for bringing back memories. I remember my mom, my dad and I hogged each other to play games(they played columns, and they were damn competitive! :tongue: ) Thanks, and a great decal.

Old-school Macintosh ON!

(yay first time! :tongue: )

EDIT:CP5670, I don't think those games are on the Mac Classic. We're talking about the black and white display here (I think, I was only five or so), but I do remember playing Crystal Quest on a newer Mac we had.

Edited by Squeaker

You're probably right. The one I have is based on the Mac II line which had color.

I mostly grew up with that first wave of color games (Crystal Quest was the first game of any kind that I played; I still have that level 81 high score I got many years ago :sweet: ), but I remember playing a lot of B&W stuff as well.

Do you mind if i use the building technique on a informant's boxcar LDD Design i'm working on?

Sure, it isn't anything complicated, but it was the best I could come up with here. Glad to help. :classic: