5150 Lego

Review- 7738 Coast Guard Helicopter

I won't get this set, but, the winch is a fantastic innovation. Looks like Bricklink will be trading a few of these! Also the raft is a pretty cool model just by itself.

I'm rather fond of helicopters and have built many different types. This doesn't really remind me of any particular model, other than perhaps an EH. 101 Merlin and even that resemblance is very superficial. Just for the record: this is a Sikorsky Sea King and this is a Sikorsky MH-53 (a derivation of the CH-53). The only resemblance I see with the former is the colour scheme and with the latter the fact that it's got a fat rear-end, sponsons and six blades.

Cheers,

Ralph

Those helocopter mocs are fantasic!I was attually thinking of modding the copter to resemble one of those copters you posted. Your mocs are a true work of art!

I noticed that you said the torsos are the same as the last line; the last line had orange torsos, this one has yellow torsos.

-Chuck

Yes, i'm aware that the colors are different. I meationed that i prefered the yellow with blue arms,and that the badge has more detail as well.

Nice review, I love it ;)

The photos are beautiful and big for more details ! :)

in my opinion this is one of the best helicopters TLC has come out with to date.

I completly agree! :sweet: It looks great! Sadly enough it will probably take a while until I can find it in my local little toy-store up here in Sweden...

I am experimenting a bit with militarizing LEGO and this set could fit pretty well in my project.

I know it is quite late but anyway I felt like sharing you. Today my wife bought it for our son after dentist though I always planned not to buy "the one piece" helicopter. The one piece tail is not so bad at all. It can accommodate a lot of stuff in it if you use your helicopter for something else than saving mechanics. For example if you use it for transporting troops and equipment - like the real world model CH53 is doing.

I know it is quite late but anyway I felt like sharing you. Today my wife bought it for our son after dentist though I always planned not to buy "the one piece" helicopter. The one piece tail is not so bad at all. It can accommodate a lot of stuff in it if you use your helicopter for something else than saving mechanics. For example if you use it for transporting troops and equipment - like the real world model CH53 is doing.

Cool! Glad you were able to find that there are more uses to the airplane tails than it looks. I moddified mine to allow the stretcher to slide into the back tail section when not in use. This then frees up the cargo compartment for divers. I also modified my cargo plane to do the same thing with a pallet of cargo. Now it can transport 2 pallets instead of just one.

I'm sure glad you dug this review up, it's one of my favourite lego helicopters. It's a much more realistic size compared to most lego helis which really makes all the difference in my opinion. One minor geeky detail that I love is that the set number is 7738. Rotate it 180 degrees and BELL, one of the world's leading helicopter manufacturers! :laugh: The only problem is that Bell has never made a helicopter anything like 7738, it much more resembles a Sikorsky or even a Russian Mil helicopter

Laurie

I've just finished building it and all i can say is that this is a fantastic set!

The life raft is just phenomenal! :thumbup: It is very realistic and believe me, the real thing is 10 scales greater than it seems in the pictures!

Only one tiny flaw that i 've found is that the whole rotor structure does not "sit" too well on the main body, having the tendency of being a little unstable sometimes. That is of course a minor detail and takes away no points regarding the general impression. The Power Function works great as you said and it is indeed the best helicopter TLC has given us.

One more thing 5150 Lego. Is the parts list at the end of the insructions correct? Because it says that 2 pieces of the blue cheese slope 50746.gif are included and eventually there were 10 in it, all being used during the building process. (not counting the extra parts of course).

Anyway, i highly recommend this set to any City fan!

We just finished building this set and its a good one. I think besides the simple fact that the wench does not lift much, its flawless.

The only set we are missing from the Coast Guard is the "Tower w/ Ship". We have the rest including the Platform. I guess we are missing the promo Motorcycle or what ever that set was, but thats about it. All the big ones we do have. I have not pulled the trigger and got the Tower yet, just waiting for price to drop a bit. Having the platform and paying way to much for it before it released in the USA, I am shying away from the Tower for now.

Nice review and as many have stated, its a great set!

Jeff