Sign in to follow this  
LuxorV

Cabriolet

indexed.gif V-LV-12F

Hi all, I must introduce this MOC by explaining a few things. When the Speed Racer license was first announced, I thought it was a new lame attempt, like the Avatar before it, to translate a not-so-well-known (as long as I know it is not known in Italy, except for the movie) American toon in bricks. I was sure I wouldn't have ever bought one of those sets. Then, last week, I saw the instructions .pdf were available on TLC Customer Service for download. Just out of curiosity, I downloaded the 8158 and 8159 booklets, and... WOW, they are fantastic :wub: ! I mean, one may not know anithing about the show, but he can always love a great set, with almost perfect design :oh3: .

So, after changing my mind about this theme (I think I'll get 8159 asap [i just :wub: the Racer-X's suit and car]), I started building a MOC that was somewhat based on that design.

As you can (finally :tongue: ) see, I had to limit my car to a width of 6-studs, due to proportions and pieces availability issues.

cabriolet_6x_002.jpg

Gallery (when public).

Being the builder, I probably am not the one who should say this, but I :wub: what I came up with. So, if anybody else likes it, and wants to build it, here is the LDD file with this project (I hope it will be left online on BS). The digital version is a bit different in the rear (and color), because of different pieces availability in the LDD, but it's still a good line, and can be adjusted to this pics with little effort :wink: .

Feel free to comment.

LuxorV

Hey LuxorV, this 6-studs car is a beauty! :blush: I love it very much, in particular it is white, hehe!

Just a suggestion, why don't you add doors for both side? I think it will be much better to add onto it's effect. White car door :tongue:

Edited by WhiteFang

Hey LuxorV, this 6-studs car is a beauty! :blush: I love it very much, in particular it is white, hehe!

Just a suggestion, why don't you add doors for both side? I think it will be much better to add onto it's effect. White car door :tongue:

That'd be a good idea. Unfortunately, they wouldn't fit due to the position of the steering wheel and front pad :look: .

LuxorV

That'd be a good idea. Unfortunately, they wouldn't fit due to the position of the steering wheel and front pad :look: .

Hehe, yes i noticed that your front pad is slightly tilt and the steering wheel is near to the side which make it lack of space on the side. I think you will have a hard time to cover the extra stud popping out of the car door. Normally, we use the front pad to cover it. :wink: I can understand your constrain, nevertheless, i still love it! :classic:

A sweet and beautiful convertible, pretty detailed and with a smart angled windscreen, very cool! :classic:

Being the builder, I probably am not the one who should say this, but I :wub: what I came up with.

What?? You self-servicer!! :angry:

Just kidding mate. :tongue:

Wonderful car you made, perfect proportions.

I particulary like the tilted wind screen, very clever. Would love to see this size car in LEGO sets!

The only thing that looks a bit strange to me is how long the car is behind the seats. Looks just a tad too long.

Nevertheless, a great creation!

Thanks all for your comments :blush:

A sweet and beautiful convertible, pretty detailed and with a smart angled windscreen, very cool! :classic:

Yes, the vertical position looked a bit too... blockey, to me :sceptic: .

What?? You self-servicer!! :angry:

Just kidding mate. :tongue:

Wonderful car you made, perfect proportions.

I particulary like the tilted wind screen, very clever. Would love to see this size car in LEGO sets!

The only thing that looks a bit strange to me is how long the car is behind the seats. Looks just a tad too long.

Nevertheless, a great creation!

I'd love to see them in LEGo sets, too. Indeed, I was a bit surprised when I saw that Speed Racer cars were 8-wild. But I belive it's due to the complexity of the original design: they needed more width to add details.

The rear looks indeed a bit too long, but it is just as long as the front (their bases are like 2 symmetrical blocks mounted on the middle section); only it doesn't have the windscreen to cover 2 studs and make it look shorter :wink: .

LuxorV