hollisbrick

Bionicle flogging a dead horse

Is bionicle flogging a dead horse?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should bionicle go?

• Yes, leave the poor dead horse alone and stop beating it
    • No (various reasons for this)
    • It's alright...some of the new ones are pretty good i guess (mayby)

I am propared for the abuse!!!!!! I am really sick of bionicle, it's been here for about 8 years now!!!!! How many different mask molds can they make??? Seriously!!!!! Every year its the same crap in grey! They got to beat the baddies, the mask is the source of power blah blah etc etc! I even made a poll!!!! so vote! *puts body armour on*

Edited by hollisbrick

Kids have got to keep buying it. Even if they've run out of ideas, it's still one of their best selling ranges, so they need to keep producing. And new sets just keeps them on the hook :wink:

Well, I voted for "No"... but I don't think it's a great theme! I voted for it as it is successful and helps Lego produce more lines that I like better. As long as people are buying it Lego should (and will) sell it.

Personally I haven't liked the sets much since the first Toas. I did like the Pirakas though and I even bought one. (Thok)

I had to also vote 'no', not to support Bionicle, but the company. They make big money, they stay in business, we keep getting the lines I do like.

You could also ask:

Should Duplo go? I mean I liked it when I was 4 but now it just seems babyish

Should Star Wars go? Its been running for a decade! Lego, stop beating that poor horse!

Should the 2 x 4 brick go? I have enough of them and if I don't care for or need something, who cares if it makes money for Lego.

Needless to say I voted no. I'm been critical of the designs of late but...money for lego -> Lego stays in business -> Good for people who like Lego.

Once it stops making money it will go the way of Exo-Force or Pirates or any of a number of themes that some liked, some didn't that ran their course.

-Tohst

Mmmmmm....I would say that its alright, but I've grown away from it; sure, they've flogged that horse for a long time, but...there are some good parts for Mocing.

Meh, I never really liked Bionicle at all really, so I don't care.

I voted "It's alright".

I don't really like the theme and its parts, but I have to admit that I admire the designers who proved their creative powers for over 8 years.

i dont want bionicle to end i want newnicle to end fortunately there rebooting next year so hopefully it will be back to basics

:oh3: how could 50 percent say "kill it"? i still love bionicle! its not as good as 2004, but those were kick butt! if bionicle started in 06 with piraka, every one would love them because there wasnt anythinng better.

long live bionicle!

jifel

I voted "It's alright".

I don't really like the theme and its parts, but I have to admit that I admire the designers who proved their creative powers for over 8 years.

Lol, we're opposites. I voted they should die... because even though I LIKE some of their parts, to me, the designers appear to have very little talent... and it is steadily decreasing. :tongue:

Yes, of course it should stay around as long as it's making money. Dammit. >__<

But the second they go into the red, I'd like to see them replaced in place of something superior with an entirely new creative team at the helm. (Some japanese guys or well established mocers in there couldn't hurt...)

i dont want bionicle to end i want newnicle to end fortunately there rebooting next year so hopefully it will be back to basics

I wish, they'll still all have the exact same Inika build, the masks will still be sub-par compared to '01, and you know that no matter how good the spring line-up is, they'll ruin it come summer. Case study - this year.

Well, I voted for third option. I mean, I only fell into Bionice with the Inika line up and only for the Titan-Warrior sets because of the much more intricate build they've got (I still find Maxilos to be a fantastic piece of work). But I haven't got a clue as to what the story is supposed to be about nor do I care. I only enjoy the interesting models for how they're built.

And this year is much the same, really : I kinda like Icarax and Takutanva (I think that's his name) but that's pretty much it...

Well, I voted for third option. I mean, I only fell into Bionice with the Inika line up and only for the Titan-Warrior sets because of the much more intricate build they've got (I still find Maxilos to be a fantastic piece of work). But I haven't got a clue as to what the story is supposed to be about nor do I care. I only enjoy the interesting models for how they're built.

And this year is much the same, really : I kinda like Icarax and Takutanva (I think that's his name) but that's pretty much it...

takanuva it is or takua if you still call him that but you dont cause you werent in bionicle in 2001-2003

Lol, we're opposites. I voted they should die... because even though I LIKE some of their parts, to me, the designers appear to have very little talent... and it is steadily decreasing.

:tongue: with "creative powers" i meant the fact that they could keep it alive and interesting for these years. If you compare bionicle to throwbots or roboriders...

OFF-TOPIC: did somebody realize that "every" theme with a long shelf life (especially racers, bionicle) had two "unsuccessful" predecessors?

Some japanese guys or well established mocers in there couldn't hurt...

THAT would be definitely good for bionicle. :thumbup:

(not for me because I'm not really into japanese anime / mangas / culture)

Maybe this would be some kind of solace for all this exo-force fans... or a revival...? exo-force in bionicle?

Okay that's enough. As long as I have no idea... :grin:

Hah! I clicked on this post title expecting a MOC.... :tongue:

That aside, I voted 'no' for the reasons that have been stated half a dozen times already! I'm not being forced to buy Bionicle, so as long as Lego can make money with it and use some of that to make things I do want, then fine by me! And every once in a while, a really interesting part shows up that really can be used outside of Bionicle to good effect! :classic:

Hah! I clicked on this post title expecting a MOC.... :tongue:

Maybe I could try that...

As great as it was the first three years, I had to vote to kill it. Back then, it was all a mystery-- we didn't know what to expect. Who would be new? What challenges would they face? Now, the story line is almost dictated be release dates. We know that there will be six guys in the beginning of the year, waiting around for Lego to give them something to fight, which will not happen until summer. We know that there will be three titans. We know that they will no longer use their minds and elements, but guns, armor, and lines that sound like were stolen off fortune cookies. I say they should have killed it after 2005, or at least have kept up with making surprises for us.

<Faramir-<

This forum is infected by children who think that the new bionicles are crap, that the only true great are the earliest sets. I believe 99 % of all these statements are due to the fact that it looks cool to diss something, claiming official sets sucks, thereby implying that they themselves are great moc'ers.

I see each day nearly every set produced since the start of the theme, and the newer sets are designwise superior to the elder ones. To be honest I'm really tired of listening to kids judging new Bionicle sets they have only seen in illegally leaked pictures in clearly bad picture quality, saying what looks great and what does not. And then 90 % go out and buy the sets when they appear, claming that yes the sets are crap, but that they will use the pieces for mocs.

I have very rarely seen any Bionicle moc worth having on a shelve. They are usually completely overdone.

rant over

Front

Edited by Front

I had to vote to Kill it, it is an unique series but as many people have said before the story line is predictable and uninspired. Unfortently though if the line is selling well and keeps TLG in the black then they need to keep it. I would like to see something that incorporates the mind storms with the Bionicle maybe programmable robots? Or even power function on a castle line? i don't know.

I voted NO

And replace it with what? Some other theme that fans will love and gobble up for about 3 years until they decide it's stale and "not as good as it was in the beginning" and turn to hating it and picking apart every little detail of new products and new entries into the story?

Man I hate fandoms :hmpf_bad:

As long as sales are good and the target audience (little kids who aren't allowed to use the internet) is interested, bring it on! deino2.gif

No! Live, live, live!

1. As lots of others have stated, LEGO should not discontinue BIONICLE for the most important reason of all--it's making money. More money=more castle, more city, more Star Wars, etc. When BIONICLE stops making money, then you can all consider it, but for now it is a ridiculous idea to cancel a completely money-making theme, whether you hate it or not.

2. As of now, BIONICLE still has fresh ideas and designs every year, even if not ALL the sets are fresh and new. This year, for example, we have new styles of build for the three winter Makuta and the three summer Makuta. The Toa have designs similar to the past two years, but they are not all the sets. Look at the Titans and vehicles and you will see new designs and innovations in terms of BIONICLE building. As long as there are continuous innovations things don't get boring. And remember that most of us here are not who BIONICLE is catering to, so the fact that some of us may not like ALL the sets is not necessarily a terrible thing. And don't say that the rest of the consumer-base is tasteless!

3. Here is a question for those who criticize what they claim is a repetitive story; where do you base this criticism? From comics, from pics in LEGO magazines, from secondhand storytelling by a younger BIONICLE fan? Or do you judge it from the books, in which the bulk of the story is told? As far as I can tell, each year has been different in numerous ways. They are not searching for an ultimate mask every year nor have they ever been. Plus, as for the argument that there are always six Toa, etc., that is the moneymaking process. Toa is a valued brand name and one that is recognized by millions of children--to abandon "Toa" as the heroes is headed down the road to destruction, UNLESS you start a new story with the new style of hero. This is possibly what they're doing in 2009.

Front:

This forum is infected by children who think that the new bionicles are crap, that the only true great are the earliest sets. I believe 99 % of all these statements are due to the fact that it looks cool to diss something, claiming official sets sucks, thereby implying that they themselves are great moc'ers.

I see each day nearly every set produced since the start of the theme, and the newer sets are designwise superior to the elder ones. To be honest I'm really tired of listening to kids judging new Bionicle sets they have only seen in illegally leaked pictures in clearly bad picture quality, saying what looks great and what does not. And then 90 % go out and buy the sets when they appear, claming that yes the sets are crap, but that they will use the pieces for mocs.

I have very rarely seen any Bionicle moc worth having on a shelve. They are usually completely overdone.

You seem to misunderstand this forum, Front. As far a I know, this forum is typically older than the main fanbase, which is why their tastes differ so much from the mainstream. I am also older, but I lucked out in that I am a fan of both styles, the one BIONICLE had and the one it has now. I don't think they bash sets because they think it's "cool" they bash the sets they don't like because they don't like them. Criticism isn't always bad--people here and on BZP were criticizing clone sets for a long time, and eventually LEGO listened once sales dropped. The descriptions you are giving sound more like BZPower after toyfair, though the more-experienced members there usually stick to their opinions. And remember that a set design doesn't affect the quality of the pieces included in it. Jinzo here, if I remember correctly, purchases sets for the MOC parts because he likes those parts, which is just as much of a reason to buy the set as the design itself. Unfortunately, the fix is that LEGO won't get that he doesn't like the sets, because to them a sale is a sale. :tongue:

I'd have to agree, though, that for the most part the constructions of great MOCers, while amazing, would be too expensive for me.

So, I don't want BIONICLE to end as I am still a fan of it and I believe it's headed in the right direction with a mix of technicism and articulation for the Titans, vehicles, and canister sets. Plus, seeing as BIONICLE is heading a new, fresh direction in 2009, I find it hard to believe they will become repetitive anytime in the near future. It seems to be heading uphill, and we all know you don't beat down a horse when it's getting up, right?

VK

Sorry, Holisbrick, but your argument for getting rid of bionicle doesn't work. I'm not being mean, I'm serious - you're criticizing a line for continuing to

use concepts that DO work - like masks and toa. There's nothing wrong with continuing to make either. I think this isn't as much about you asking us whether we think bionicle should go on or not - this is just a topic for you to express hatred toward a theme you've hated from the start - before it was ever repetitive.

I could be wrong though. But seriously, this kind of argument could be used to say that almost any continuing theme should die. Look at this quote for example:

Should Duplo go? I mean I liked it when I was 4 but now it just seems babyish

Should Star Wars go? Its been running for a decade! Lego, stop beating that poor horse!

Should the 2 x 4 brick go? I have enough of them and if I don't care for or need something, who cares if it makes money for Lego.

The list could go on and on. Technic: "They keep making vehicles over and over again. They're beating a dead horse!" City: "They keep making firestations and police stations over and over again! They're beating a dead horse!"

Now, this doesn't mean that it's imaginitive that TLC keeps making firestations and technic vehicles over and over again - Many of us are tired of it. In the same way, Bionicle designs have somewhat gotten repetitive as well, which does not please me. But in almost all lego lines, there are good things too. In city, we get firestations yes, but also postal and cargo vehicles, airplanes, trains, and now even seaports and gas stations, among other things. In the same way, bionicle has postitives even this year: some awesome pieces, non-clone canister sets, and more technic builtvehicle sets that we've ever had before. It's not all bad. :classic:

But the most important thing is that bionicle sell kits. Why should TLC stop a line that sells just to please you and everybody else that thinks it's dumb? Not a good buisness strategy, is it? :sadnew:

Edited by Grevious

Sorry, Holisbrick, but your argument for getting rid of bionicle doesn't work. I'm not being mean, I'm serious - you're criticizing a line for continuing to

use concepts that DO work - like masks and toa. There's nothing wrong with continuing to make either. I think this isn't as much about you asking us whether we think bionicle should go on or not - this is just a topic for you to express hatred toward a theme you've hated from the start - before it was ever repetitive.

Actually I used to be ubsessed :blush: until they keeped on making more and more and more then i got over it.. :hmpf:

I actually didn't atart hatng them until 7 months ago when i came out of a mini dark age and I saw that they were still around..

But the most important thing is that bionicle sell kits. Why should TLC stop a line that sells just to please you and everybody else that thinks it's dumb? Not a good buisness strategy, is it? :sadnew:

Because the world revolvles around me :tongue:

Anyway I now see what your saying..I guess if it is helping continue lego it self i guess it isn't that bad...

EDIT: Still don't like the theme though just don't hate it...as much :wink:

Edited by hollisbrick