Sign in to follow this  
Siegfried

Cutlass to foreshadow a return of the Pirate Theme?

Vote now!  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this is a sign that Pirates are returning?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dunno

Well there are the Skeleton Pirates in the Castle Line, and in the Lego Magazine, a dwarve calls the trolls of the warship pirates, and they talk like Pirates in it.

And Aswell in the IJ line, in the temple set there is a Spanish Morion Helmet on one of the Skeletons: http://brickset.com/detail.aspx?Set=7627-1

But I'm not sure, I hope so is all I'll say.

I would suggest that perhaps TLC is releasing ships in the Castle line (and the Vikings perhaps) to compensate for a lack of Pirates. They're just not giving the entire theme enough weight as there isn't a large younger audience for Pirates. Therefore, releasing ships is a way of compensating Phes the AFOL community.

Just a suggestion :pir-wink:

I'd like to see a bley cutlass, not because I like bley, but because it could give some variety and would allow for more accurate fan-designed sets. I was under the impression that Skeleton Attack Ship contained a bley cutlass, although I may be mistaked :pir-look:

I think that cannons, bicorns or tricorns would be a near-guarantee of a Pirate return, especially as Pirates is just beating Romans in the Embassy poll :thumbup:

And answering Sinner's question, yes, a cutlass is generally a cutlass, unless it has a cheesy <insert that tiresome argument> catapult attached :pir-grin:

Congratulate me!

I managed to accidentally merge this thread with another thread, so I've separated it again, but as a consequence the poll has been lost.

Could someone remind me what the poll options were and roughly how many votes they had?

Congratulate me!

I managed to accidentally merge this thread with another thread, so I've separated it again, but as a consequence the poll has been lost.

Could someone remind me what the poll options were and roughly how many votes they had?

It's OK. The options were Yes, No, Dunno and the vote was roughly 40:50:10 but I have a good enough answer already. All I have to do now is wait and hope. A castle themed ship with a real bow would be good enough for me... :pir-cry_happy:

Are those (40:50:10) ratios or number of votes?

Ratios, but I was wrong. As it happens I opened that page an hour before on another computer so I have the real numbers;

Yes [ 9 ] [34.62%]

No [ 10 ] [38.46%]

Dunno [ 7 ] [26.92%]

Total Votes: 26

I've updated the poll to those figures plus whatever new votes have been submitted since it was re-created.

So now we should be back on track after my horrendous blunder!

I think this poll is worthy for our next Frontpage/Newsletter Poll.

I still don't know about the cutlass in Indy meaning anything, but here's one for you ...

I was at the Downtown Disney PaB tonight and there was a bin that included cutlasses (I swear, they look old grey), reddish brown flintlocks and red rag hats (and axes, crossbows, and black aviator helmets).

There weren't many of the pirate parts, but I picked them all out.

Where did they come from?

I still don't know about the cutlass in Indy meaning anything, but here's one for you ...

I was at the Downtown Disney PaB tonight and there was a bin that included cutlasses (I swear, they look old grey), reddish brown flintlocks and red rag hats (and axes, crossbows, and black aviator helmets).

Black aviator helmets???

Anyway, out of that list, what strikes my most is the flintlock pistol. Can you share pictures, please?

(Insert X-Files theme here)

The truth is out there!

Black aviator helmets???

Anyway, out of that list, what strikes my most is the flintlock pistol. Can you share pictures, please?

I could, but I didn't. It just ended up looking like piles of parts. I'll summarize though, in shocking detail!

The common stuff:

Assorted tiles (dark red 1x6, dark red 1x4, dark red 2x2, red 2x2, yellow 2x2, dark blue 1x6, dark blue 2x2, green 1x4)

2x2 dishes, black, bley and white

2x3 dark red bricks, 2x2 dark red plates, 2x3 dark red plates with hole

binoculars (old style), black

2x2 dark red corner slopes, 3x3 red corner slopes, 1x4x2 white arches,

Window panes: white

Shutters: green

crossbows: grey and brown

headlight bricks: red and yellow

4+ figures: 1 of each of 5 types, just so I can have them in case I need a joke pic (they had 2 full slots for them)

Black aviator helmets (I think I bought 40 for some unknown reason), blue, red, dark tan race helmets.

The unusual:

By flintlocks, I meant the rifles and I only ended up with 3.

Pirate rag wraps: 14 red.

Cutlasses: 13, and they really are old grey

Battleaxes: 3 old grey

Ninja swords: 2 black

pistols (not pirate): 4 old dark grey

Brooms: 2 old brown

Scimitars: 2 yellow

robot arms: blue and bley, like 5, total

ron weasely hair, 2 brown

standard male hair, orange

cap: 3 dark blue

those ugly angled swords: 1 red and 2 yellow

The bits and pieces intrigued me the most, since they were just odd and in really limited numbers, and in some old colours. It's as if they just dug into a bin somewhere and threw them all together. If I'd had time and the patience, I probably could have dug out more of the unusual stuff, but that store was insane and it was getting late. I wish I could have picked up a couple more cups of average type stuff.

The 'make a minifig' was a joke. Basketball legs, misprinted heads, crappy torsos and most of it was on the floor.

Gleek, the monkey in Speed Racer, is as much a character as some of the others, so he had to be in there.

Gleek was Jan and Jace's space monkey buddy from Space Ghost.

The monkey from Speed Racer was Chim-chim.

Back on topic - its an interesting idea and I certainly wouldn't be upset if they brought back a Pirate or two...

Please, I know we're a bit desperate about Lego Pirate's return but I think that just one cutlass don't represent a real hope... :pir-hmpf_bad:

Anyway I must admit that it'll be SO GREAT if you were right... :pir-cry_happy:

WE WANT PIRATES BACK, PLEASE!!! :jollyroger:

Gleek was Jan and Jace's space monkey buddy from Space Ghost.

The monkey from Speed Racer was Chim-chim.

Really? Heh. I've said it in like 5 threads and no one else caught it. :pir-blush:

I wonder how many more it would have taken...

Thanks for saving me from myself! :pir-wink:

Now that I look at Alex's reviews, I'm going to say YES. I see three pirate things, though I'm probably missing some. The cutlass, the crocodile, and oars. :pir-wub: If that's not a sign... :pir-sceptic:

mando_helmet_viking_2.png

Now that I look at Alex's reviews, I'm going to say YES. I see three pirate things, though I'm probably missing some. The cutlass, the crocodile, and oars. :pir-wub: If that's not a sign... :pir-sceptic:

don't forget the conquistator helmet in the big set :pir-wink:

:pir-hmpf_bad::pir-sceptic: I seriously do not think the Lego group would re-release the 'pirate theme'. for quite some time yet. The 1990's sets were amazing and in my opinion the best Lego sets ever created! If a new Pirate theme came out today it wouldn't be as impressive.

Yay! A convert! :pir-tongue:

(For that payment I promised you I'll need your PayPal account name. :pir-wink: )

I've got a great idea Sinner - how about you get the LEGO Group to become your coverts? I think that would work in your favour for a positive outcome to the question this thread poses :pir-grin:

I've got a great idea Sinner - how about you get the LEGO Group to become your coverts? I think that would work in your favour for a positive outcome to the question this thread poses :pir-grin:

Who said I haven't already? :pir-wink:

Is the cutlass a sign of the return of Pirates? Maybe not. But I do believe that the Pirates theme will return soon! That is more due to the reapearance of the sharks, though. Also, just look at this forum: Pirates is one of TLC's most popular themes ever! So, it is way over due that they pick it up again!

Anyway, my vote is yes, as I think that it is one of many small signs.

Probably... not. Not that I wouldn't love it to be. These hints are really LEGO moving on from the past theme. But yeah, what an amazing theme it was I missed!

I vote yes, and now have a NEW reason! There is a LEGO PIRATE in the Lego Club Magazine, here is a picture:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/axle417/...zin/pirates.bmp

Other characters from left to right:Russian Soldier, Aqua raider, russian, Irirna Spalko, possible future pirate (?), Russian guard and Vladeks Shadow Knight! Close Up on the Pirate, maybe they will make new beard molds for them?:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/axle417/...in/piratein.bmp

Also in the Cool Creations page is a nice Pirate ship, very nice sails and rigging, this was made by a 4 and 7 year old!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/axle417/...agazin/ship.bmp