Sign in to follow this  
Ralph_S

1/22 scale cars

indexed.gif V-LV-38A to V-LV-38C

Believe it or not, I've been a Eurobricks member for three years, but was mostly a lurker until recently. I was drawn out by the hot rod competition. I am mainly an aircraft builder, but I also dabble with building cars. You may have seen some of them on flickr or brickshelf (or even MOCpages).

Here's three of my most recent builds.

My Shelby Cobra:

2356890523_4cc9aef8ab_m.jpg

A 1946 Mercury Sportsman Woody:

2337369662_23b6f6699c_m.jpg

and (a piece of sheer American evil on wheels) a Ford F150 SVT Lightning pickup truck.

2395687305_a9471cd611_m.jpg

I've also entered a hot rod in the build competition.

You can find all of these and more in my Flickr wheels set .

Tell me what you think.

Cheers,

Ralph

edit: stupidly the title of the thread suggests my cars are 1/20. That would be the scale of LEGOland cars. Mine are actually slightly smaller: 1/22.

Edited by Phred

The first two are really eye-cathers. Well, the last is American :-D

hmm, Mercury, is that British ? :-$

I could see a real nice hobby, building cars in this scale. Need lots of wheels and head-lights though.

If you got more, please show *wub*

Front

Edited by Front

What beautiful cars!

I am a great fan of your work, all these cars are so well thought-through, with opening doors, hoods and trunks. Fantastic. *wub*

The cars I make are the Legoland scaled ones, so 1/20, and I have been looking at your brickshelf folder for some inspiration very often. Is there any particular reason that made you decide to build the cars in a 1/22 scale instead of 1/20?

I often find it very hard to capture enough detail in the 1/20 scale, so it must be tough designing it in the scale you use.

Are the pieces you use for your windscreens Lego ones? I can't figure that out.

*y*

Really nice! I love the simplicity of them, but you still got lots of detail in.

I'd also love to see more, if you have any.

--Faramir

indexed.gif V-LP-6F, V-LV-38D to V-LV-38F

Ralph's cars are great, I am always very anxious of seeing his new works since I am sharing the same interest. I also build similar type of cars in scale 1:22-24, usually little bit smaller than Ralph's cars. I wanted to ask how you calculate the scale and are the cars in same scale together? I personally don't follow any scale, I have basic platform and guidelines in which I build almost every car. Although it might come from the fact that I build almost only american cars from 60-70s.

Here is some pictures of my models:

2388363960_a3b86f1123_m.jpg

Dodge Monaco 1977 Police car

2388356088_857e089dd1_m.jpg

Twin turbo V8 engine of 1973 AMC Hornet

2387520259_f6e61cd8ba_m.jpg

Oldsmobile "Hairy Hurst" 1966 Show car

2388248014_a6b63b278d_m.jpg

Flame painted 1967 Chevrolet Camaro

More pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/legomuscle

Great cars Ralph! The details you packed into your models are awesome! I can't wait to see more from you. Any chance we can see a Dusenburg '20 Grand' from you in the future? *wub*

On another note did you said somethin' about makin' airplanes? :-$ Can't wait to see them either.

The first two are really eye-cathers. Well, the last is American :-D

hmm, Mercury, is that British ? :-$

I could see a real nice hobby, building cars in this scale. Need lots of wheels and head-lights though.

If you got more, please show *wub*

Front

Think (or Google) before you speak (or in this case type).

Meaning every car he posted, Shelby, Mercury, Ford, are are American. ;-)

America once made great cars |-/ , and they still (sometimes) :-| do, they're just a rarer species now. X-D

Examples of modern day American car masterpieces- 2008 Dodge Challenger, Saleen S7, 2009 Chevy Comaro, Mustang, and a few more that I can't remember at the moment.

If you don't know what they are Google um', I'm too lazy to post links right now. :-P

Hope that helps, Tarfful

Edited by Tarfful

indexed.gif V-LV-39A to V-LV-39D

Thanks for the welcome.

Simon, I know your brickshelf folder. Great stuff, especially your Thunderbird. I have also known Johannes for quite a while because of our shared interest.

I have many more cars, busses, fire engines and trucks (about 50 in total). Most can be found in my brickshelf folder (the link is in my signature). I actually have a subfolder there that has a pictures of almost all of the models that I currently have in it:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=306651

It has two pages, BTW and includes my aircraft and helicopters. Those are probably better-known than my cars (some have been in brickjournal and on the Brothers brick for instance), but since the hot rod contest brought me here, I decided not to post any pictures of the aircraft or helicopters here yet. I'll probably post some of those separately some other time.

My cars are not all American, although the majority is. The Cobra is actually a combination of an English car (the AC Ace) with an American engine.

A few examples of my other non-American cars, from my Flickr wheels set:

VW Beetles (German)

2254401423_ae9c81e750_m.jpg

Mazda RX-8 (Japanese)

2244172917_c65002f792_m.jpg

Lamborghini Gallardo (Italian)

2336522837_3e8d60e334_m.jpg

I currently don't have any concrete plans for any new cars or trucks except for a new fire engine. A Dusenburg might be interesting.

The scale came about years ago. I wanted a scale that allowed me to build both regular cars and trucks with the wheels that I had available at the time. You can see what I use for my cars and I use model team wheels for trucks. Obviously it's impossible to be exact when it comes to the scale and I'm not even going to try building a car that's eigth and a half studs wide on a 1/22 scale, for instance. If I try to build one of those, my model will be either eight or nine studs wide. Generally all of this works out to my trucks being 14 studs wide, pickup trucks 11 studs, regular cars 10 and small cars (such as the Beetle) 9 studs wide. I usually use the wheelbase and the overall length of the real car to work out the other dimensions in bricks. For many American cars, such as the ones Johannes builds, 10 studs wide equates to a scale of roughly 1/24, because the real cars tend to be rather wide.

I have to tell you, they really do look a lot simpler than they are. I do tend to go for perhaps somewhat old-fashioned studs up building most of the time, mainly for structural reasons. What makes them complicated are the working features. If you browse through my flickr set you'll see that almost all of them have doors, engine and luggage compartments that open and they all have fairly detailed interiors. The same applies to Johannes' cars. They typically have very detailed engines and drive trains -more detailed than mine.

The windows are non-lego. It's something I started doing for my aircraft out of necessity and then carried over to my cars.

Cheers,

Ralph

Edited by Phred

Great cars Ralph! The details you packed into your models are awesome! I can't wait to see more from you. Any chance we can see a Dusenburg '20 Grand' from you in the future? *wub*

On another note did you said somethin' about makin' airplanes? :-$ Can't wait to see them either.

Think (or Google) before you speak (or in this case type).

Meaning every car he posted, Shelby, Mercury, Ford, are are American. ;-)

America once made great cars |-/ , and they still (sometimes) :-| do, they're just a rarer species now. X-D

Examples of modern day American car masterpieces- 2008 Dodge Challenger, Saleen S7, 2009 Chevy Comaro, Mustang, and a few more that I can't remember at the moment.

If you don't know what they are Google um', I'm too lazy to post links right now. :-P

Hope that helps, Tarfful

Yes thank you.

But to be honest, calling the cars you mention masterpieces, is really a strange statement. Some of these cars have so low assemble and driving qualities, compared to modern European or Japanese cars. American cars has been and still is so ROFL. Some like their appearence and the feel of american cars though.

Front

Very nice! *wub* For their size it is remarkable clear as to what they are. The Cobra in particular is a hard shape to do but you've done a great job. Your bugs are cool too! Thanks for posting. *sweet*

The windows are non-lego. It's something I started doing for my aircraft out of necessity and then carried over to my cars.

Yes, and oddly it doesn't bother me. I personally wouldn't do it, but I understand why you make your own.

edit: stupidly the title of the thread suggests my cars are 1/20. That would be the scale of LEGOland cars. Mine are actually slightly smaller: 1/22.

Fixed.

Here is some pictures of my models:

You probably should have posted these in a new topic as many will probably miss them. (It also can be seen as a bit rude...)