Klaus-Dieter

Star Wars license discussion

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Last Sunday I visited an old friend. His uncle works as an Lego set designer mainly for Star Wars sets. I had the great chance to get a short interview. I can of course not publish his name because otherwise he’ll surely get a lot of trouble. Since we spoke German I’ll try to translate the interview in (more or less good) English.

Since I didn’t want to start firstly and directly with the question which is the most important for all of us SW fans I began with:

Do you think that the popularity of Lego Star Wars products has changed at AFOLs and JFOLs all over the world?

Since I’m only a set designer and not working in the product management or bookkeeping I don’t know exact numbers. But the popularity of Lego Star Wars sets surely didn’t diminish in the last years – in contrast we await a big interest for our products with releasing the new Clone Wars sets in this year’s summer.

So it seems as if the Lego Star Wars products are sold very well. How does TLG see the future for Lego Star Wars products? I heard that the contract with Lucas about SW licensed products is brought to an end to in 2011.

First of all I must say that we – the Lego Star Wars set designers as well as all Lego Star Wars fans as well as TLG generally – had a brilliant and very exciting time with lots of amazing sets. But it’s right. The contract with Lucas will end in 2011. And I must disappoint you because the contract will surely not be elongated. With Indiana Jones TLG decided to wind a new theme which should attract the “old” Lego Star Wars fans. It will – in contrast to Star Wars – continue longer than only until 2011; depending on how well it’ll sell.

I’m very disappointed about that fact. I naturally hoped that TLG will elongate the contract with Lucas.

No, regrettably not. There is no chance – in principle I’m not allowed to tell you that because it’s absolute secret – but it is TLG’s irrepealable decision to end Star Wars in 2011 because there’ll be a new licensed theme which will be released from 2012 on.

What will this theme be?

I’m not allowed to tell you – but if you don’t tell somebody else I can make an exception. The new licensed theme will be Pippi Longstocking, a children’s book character. We already now are working on the first set prototypes – but more I can really not tell you.

And what about the last three years? Will there be some very exceptional sets?

Yes, there’ll be some. Like you perhaps may know there will be a set which should be chosen by Lego forums all over the world – most likely after present results is a Tantive 4, a big Endor set or a Jedi Temple.

2009 and 2010 there will be many sets based on the new Clone Wars series, perhaps some sets based a computer game called Force Unleashed and of course many sets from the Original Trilogy.

2011 will end with a huge range of different classic sets from all episodes – episode 1-3, Clone Wars, Force Unleashed, episode 4-6 and the so called Expanded Universe. And there’ll be three big Exclusives. I would be stoned if anyone of TLG would know that I tell you that: One set will be an UCS Anakin Skywalker statue which will show him in the Clone Wars style with all his wounds and his broken hand. The second one will be an UCS set like the Millenium Falcon of last year – it will supposably be the same price like it – and it’ll be an Imperial Shuttle with the minifigs of Qui-Gon Jinn, Kit Fisto, Vader’s apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi and a Shadow Trooper. The third set will be a “normal” minifig scaled exclusive set: The Temple of Yavin with a B-Wing Fighter, Padmé Amidala, General Ackbar, Jabba the Hutt, two Shadow Troopers, two Rebel Troopers and the little Anakin Skywalker.

OK, then thank you very much for the interview.

You’re welcome!

After that there was not following something of importance.

I can’t tell you how disappointed I was and yet now are! :'-(

Ending Star Wars – a so great licensed theme with lots of brilliant sets and possibilities – and beginning to release Pippi Langstocking sets, a theme based on a children’s book character?! What’s that?!?!?!?!?! >:-) >:-)

And ending this amazing theme with these three bad exclusive sets, that’s really *n* !

What are your feelings about it? Do you agree with me or do you like to see TLG ending the brilliant SW theme?!

And so April Fool's Day begins... ;-)

That pretty much sums up what I think... X-D

Either this is a joke or the guy you interviewed was feeding you nonsense. 8-|

I can't believe it's ending with no trash compactor set. At least I'll have new Pippi Longstocking sets to comfort me. Whatever that is...

Thanks for sharing this very true, not April-Fool's joke news with us.

:-|

Oh darn.

I was so looking forward to Pippi Longstocking Lego. :-P

~Peace

Wow... Pippi LEGO. I never dared to dream. :'-)

literature-lindgren-de2001-Pippi-medium.jpg

Funky Hair On! *y*

Well these sets sound interesting..but pippilongstockings????? like wt* was TLG thinking? :-/ anyway on the brighter side at least there will be a new interesting hair peice...

Yavin Temple with a B-Wing made me shiver... :-D

Yavin Temple with a B-Wing made me shiver... :-D

yes and why would the yavin temple come with jabba the hut???

me thinks april fools on!

*wacko* I is very confused - is it a joke? Please tell me its a joke...

It's a joke! Oh, wait, it's april fools day so what I just said is a joke... Meaning it's true :-D

ha! you had me until i saw the pippy longstockings part. it might be more realistic if you made some preliminary "sets" ;-)

jifel

Edited by jifel

The whole "Pippi Longstockings" nonsense is something of a giveaway. Trust me, this is going to be a long day for anybody who takes things too seriously.

WHAT??? Why lego would end the star wars license to replace it by a stupid little book character???

Many people love star wars! I'm not sure they will like the Pippi thing too. Star wars is the most popular lego theme ever! I would see the face of lego directors when they will see that their new "license" will be shit! *n*

About the sets :

More sets from the clone wars line! It will be great! I hope see more pics soon!

But...why will they release an IMPERIAL SHUTTLE with minifigs of QUI GON, VADER'S APPRENTICE and a SHADOW TROOPER when they are from different times??? :-|

Same thing for the yavin temple ==> it will be a great set! But they will include a padme and jabba minifig both?? :-D

Thanks a lot for this interview Klaus!

Thok i think that you need to go sit in the corner of the class.... Oh and whilst their feel free to where the cone shaped hat...

You know it has a lovely D on it.....

Noooooooo >:-(! The end of SW, that sucks!

But to get Pippi Longstocking, or Pippi Långstrump which it is in Swedish, is great. At last a swedish action series is made into bricks *y*!

And the possibilitys are endless for sets and minifigs!

Here´s a couple of examples:

Villa Villerkulla

Here we have 9 year old Pippi with her house (Villa Villerkulla) that she took over after her father, the Pirat king Efraim Långstrump, was washed overboard in a storm.

Also included are her monkey Mr Nilsson and her horse The Little Man, and Pippi´s sack of goldcoins.

250px-Villa_villekulla.jpg

600+ pieces and 1 minifig, horse & monkey

Tommy and Annika

Pippi´s neighbours Tommy and Annika minifigs with different tosos and legs.

384031139_47f73b88c7.jpg

30 pieces and 2 minifigs.

The Police officers

Here we get the two policeofficers Kling and Klang with police equipment.

They also have a small policehouse with typewriter and a cell.

178-btg00010017.jpg

120 pieces and 2 minifigs.

Mrs Prysselius

Mrs Prysselius also known as Prusseluskan, is a self made guardien of moral.

Comes with lots of books on how to behave and a stick to point at different bad things.

prussiluskan-2.jpg

27 pieces and a minfig.

Pippi workout gym

Pippi is the strongest person in the world. Here we get her as a minfig with different gym articles.

And as a bonus are also Kling and Klang included for her famous "two cop lift"!

lyfter.gif

60 pieces and 3 minifigs.

That´s only a few examples on great set and PB´s that TLC could produce instead of that lame SW stuff >:-)!

Pippi On X-D

copmike

pippi.jpg

Here´s a couple of examples:

Villa Villerkulla

Here we have 9 year old Pippi with her house (Villa Villerkulla) that she took over after her father, the Pirat king Efraim Långstrump, was washed overboard in a storm.

Also included are her monkey Mr Nilsson and her horse The Little Man, and Pippi´s sack of goldcoins.

250px-Villa_villekulla.jpg

600+ pieces and 1 minifig, horse & monkey

That is so cool!

Now we know what the next CC-style building will be, after Cafe Corner, Marketstreet and Green Grocer we get the house of Pippi.

I am sure it will feature all the great things from the movies: kitchen, big hallway with stairs and big garden.

This is sooo much better than another re-release of the same Star Wars set!

*sweet*

Hahaha - um, no. I've fallen for enough of these to know when they're fake. Nice try, though :-P

WHAT??? Why lego would end the star wars license to replace it by a stupid little book character???

Many people love star wars! I'm not sure they will like the Pippi thing too. Star wars is the most popular lego theme ever! I would see the face of lego directors when they will see that their new "license" will be shit! *n*

About the sets :

More sets from the clone wars line! It will be great! I hope see more pics soon!

But...why will they release an IMPERIAL SHUTTLE with minifigs of QUI GON, VADER'S APPRENTICE and a SHADOW TROOPER when they are from different times??? :-|

Same thing for the yavin temple ==> it will be a great set! But they will include a padme and jabba minifig both?? :-D

Thanks a lot for this interview Klaus!

Are you serious?

I think you may need to read the rest of the topic. X-D

yes and why would the yavin temple come with jabba the hut???
Thats exactly what I thought, though it still didn't stop me falling for it! Pippi Longstockings indeed! :-D !

If joke=> Teehee

If not=> You still went and posted what this guy said? Edit: To elaborate further, what this guy said not to be said. He said: "but if you don’t tell somebody else I can make an exception" .