Sign in to follow this  
Shadows

Star Wars Imperial Officer Decal Variations

Could someone please make a head and a torso decal for a Thrawn MF,please? *sweet*

Yes and no. I don't know how to do heads yet, but I can do basic torsos, so I had a go at it.

Actually, I decided that a generic Imperial Officer torso would come in handy, so I made one based on the official minifig. During the process, I noticed that Tarkin has a better belt and wears his rank pips in a different location, with two code cylinders, where the normal officer has one, so I gave them all the better belt and made a blank torso and pips/cylinders that can be added on to make custom configurations.

For a guide to the common ranks insignia configurations used in the empire, consult this wookiepedia page. Expect a headache though, as the costumers made no effort at all to follow any form of logic or common sense, so a lot of it has had to be retrofitted to make it work. Still, there are some basic standards from captains through Grand Moffs, and that page will help you if you want to make someone specific.

What does all of this have to do with Thrawn? Not so much. Being the student of art that he was, he kept a very simple uniform design with fewer lines, no cylinders and a different belt. Still, it was an easy change to make.

End result? A pile of torsos that could make anyone from a lowly pilot all the way to Tarkin and Thrawn.

600dpi as always, colours drawn in such a way that you can simply select and fill to replace any of them with something else. Need a purple officer? You can do it easily (and I'd expect to see a pic of that :-D)

imp_12bar_nocyl_thrawn.png

Thrawn

imp_12bar_2cyl_tarkin.pngimp_12bar_2cyl_white.png

Tarkin, dark grey and white

imp_6bar_1cyl_dkgrey.pngimp_6bar_1cyl_black.pngimp_6bar_1cyl_white.png

Standard officer, dark grey, black, white

imp_nobar_1cyl_white.pngimp_nobar_2cyl_white.png

imp_addons_white.png

One and two cylinder variations without rank. Use the addons to choose rank, or modify the Thrawn torso to include a cylinder.

Enjoy, and please feel free to comment!

Thanks Mr. Shadows! *sweet*

Those torso are a great way to expand my growing empire. *y*

I guess I´ll have to search the allmigthy internet for a Thrawn head decal.

Thanks Mr. Shadows! *sweet*

Those torso are a great way to expand my growing empire. *y*

I guess I´ll have to search the allmigthy internet for a Thrawn head decal.

Glad to help! Matter of fact, I went ahead and tried doing a face, but I'm not claiming it's great.

head_thrawn.png

I looked up a few pics to work from and there isn't much to his face, it's basically just a little scowling, with no eyebrows and red eyes with a very hard to see pupil that is either shiny or darker red. This was the best I could manage. The cheek lines are optional, but it looks far too plain without them.

The blue seems to vary from the shade I used to much darker. That seemed like the best one to show detail and still fit the requirement without looking as fake as I think regular blue would.

Getting hands in that shade might be difficult, unless one of the jellybean knights had them, I can't remember. Otherwise, a lot of pics show him in black gloves, which is easier.

Some pics show him with yellow epaulettes, which seems odd to me, but would add some extra detail to the look and still be authentic (at least for some sources).

So, bottom line: Either normal male or flat top hair (I saw pics where that would work), printed face, white torso with printed decal and black hands, white legs, yellow epaulettes.

A Captain Pellaeon to go along with him should be much easier since he was a more traditional Imperial officer. The Noghri would be very difficult. That crazy dark jedi clone he worked with would be pretty easy though.

I think I'd like to see all of those as a set. Maybe I'll do them. ;-)

Wow, thanks, these are great!

Any chance of a female version? :-D

You know, that's a great idea! Sometimes I forget that there were a limited number of female Imperial officers, since it wasn't traditional.

When I have time, you can expect at least a set of generic female ones, and perhaps a custom Ysanne Isard (oooh, red uniform variation). It's hard to see from the available source material, but she seems to wear 6 red over 6 blue, much like the official Tarkin torso, though I've seen some instances where his was 6 blue over 6 red (the costuming department was sloppy in the movies and people sometimes ended up with upside down insignia, so it's hard to guess which is right).

isard_ysanne.jpg

This is actually such a good idea, I've moved it to another thread, specifically targeted at female Imperials including Juno Eclipse. *sweet*

Very nice, as always, imperialshadows *y* .

I *wub* those badges and ...you finally did the head!

Great job!

LuxorV

On 23/3/2008 at 7:18 AM, Shadows said:

Yes and no. I don't know how to do heads yet, but I can do basic torsos, so I had a go at it.

Actually, I decided that a generic Imperial Officer torso would come in handy, so I made one based on the official minifig. During the process, I noticed that Tarkin has a better belt and wears his rank pips in a different location, with two code cylinders, where the normal officer has one, so I gave them all the better belt and made a blank torso and pips/cylinders that can be added on to make custom configurations.

For a guide to the common ranks insignia configurations used in the empire, consult this wookiepedia page. Expect a headache though, as the costumers made no effort at all to follow any form of logic or common sense, so a lot of it has had to be retrofitted to make it work. Still, there are some basic standards from captains through Grand Moffs, and that page will help you if you want to make someone specific.

What does all of this have to do with Thrawn? Not so much. Being the student of art that he was, he kept a very simple uniform design with fewer lines, no cylinders and a different belt. Still, it was an easy change to make.

End result? A pile of torsos that could make anyone from a lowly pilot all the way to Tarkin and Thrawn.

600dpi as always, colours drawn in such a way that you can simply select and fill to replace any of them with something else. Need a purple officer? You can do it easily (and I'd expect to see a pic of that :-D)

Thrawn

Tarkin, dark grey and white

Standard officer, dark grey, black, white

One and two cylinder variations without rank. Use the addons to choose rank, or modify the Thrawn torso to include a cylinder.

Enjoy, and please feel free to comment!

This might seem like an odd question to ask and/or be asked, but do you mind if I submit other torso designs loosely based off of these, for the sake of Minifigure army, navy diversity, lad? I just thought that these could also use coats from Rogue One, and if you permit me to submit certain torso designs, I shall not forget to credit you for basis and artistic inspiration. Not to worry...

Edited by LuxorV
Please do not quote images from the same page. Thank you.