Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

The New Pirate Forum Skin - Have your say

I have to say, I'd rather see Verdana than Times New Roman, no matter what the size. I like rounded fonts as opposed to the serifs, just my personal opinion.

Bingo! It isn't the size, it's the way you use it font itself.

Times New Roman is always blotchy looking compared to a smoothly rounded Verdana or even Microsoft Sans Serif.

Sorry for double post but i just found that the moving text option runs in front of the drop down menu... when you go over a link from the moving text it will remove you from the drop down menu, no big problem, but if your a perfectionist now you know...

Thanks for altering me to that.

It's easily fixed but I'm not going to make any further changes to the skin for a couple of days to enable me to get other things done. But it will be fixed!

I don't like giving criticism to your work Phessy, simply because if you didn't do it, I don't see who else would so I'm appreciative that you do what you so all this even exists. I think I share Imperial Scouts opinion that below the surface of the water is a little bit bland and I do kinda miss seeing the different scenes of the various fractions on the heading bar. I don't like giving any criticism though unless I can offer a solution and right now I can't. I don't know if it would at all be possible to have some sort of flash function maybe which shows different figs or scenes or something somewhere on the screen and that just runs without refreshing the page.

Basically those are my first impressions but I'm just happy to see we have a forum that is actively maintained. *sweet*

I think the new pirate kin is good, although Mcafee blocks some buttons and banners which messes up the whole layout occasionally, but that can be fixed.

I have to say, I'd rather see Verdana than Times New Roman, no matter what the size. I like rounded fonts as opposed to the serifs, just my personal opinion.

Bingo! It isn't the size, it's the way you use it font itself.Times New Roman is always blotchy looking compared to a smoothly rounded Verdana or even Microsoft Sans Serif.

Times New Roman was used a stylistic choice because Serif Fonts were more frequently used in the past. But if it really interferes with the legibility of the text I'll change it to Veranda.

I think the new pirate kin is good, although Mcafee blocks some buttons and banners which messes up the whole layout occasionally, but that can be fixed.

I don't use McAfee but I assume it has an option that allows you to exclude certain websites. All can I suggest is find this option and put www.eurobricks.com on the exclusions list. Either that or disable McAfee when you're about to make a post.

Times New Roman was used a stylistic choice because Serif Fonts were more frequently used in the past. But if it really interferes with the legibility of the text I'll change it to Veranda.

I don't use McAfee but I assume it has an option that allows you to exclude certain websites. All can I suggest is find this option and put www.eurobricks.com on the exclusions list. Either that or disable McAfee when you're about to make a post.

Yes, that is wise, I shall do that.

Is it just me or does the FORUM button on the main page still not work? Every time I click the button I get an error that says the site has moved.

Is it just me or does the FORUM button on the main page still not work? Every time I click the button I get an error that says the site has moved.

Yes, when the server switched over, all the links on Classic-Pirates died. Phes fixed most of them, but I think that the Forum one was missed... 8-|

it looks great!

colors are quite soft, not torturing my eyes *sweet*

i guess you guys know that the "search topic" tag still needs to be done?

Phes, do you want to host the images on the EB server? I can also update that background pic to include the same blue you've switched the background too. That way you can still get the same ocean effect without Captain Green Hair crying and wetting his pants about it. :-P

I'm very impressed by the work you did on the pirate skin.

For me it looks perfect now. Really it looks AMAZING!!!

Phes, do you want to host the images on the EB server?

They already are! Right Mr. Phes?

Wow awesome job on this Phes. I think it looks great. Love the main banner/header

Yes, when the server switched over, all the links on Classic-Pirates died. Phes fixed most of them, but I think that the Forum one was missed... 8-|

Good spot! *y* I forgot all about that. Fortunately I recreated a sub-domain redirection for the forum so that will save me updating EVERY page on Classic-Pirates.com...

it looks great! colors are quite soft, not torturing my eyes *sweet*

I'm very impressed by the work you did on the pirate skin.

For me it looks perfect now. Really it looks AMAZING!!!

Bwah, bwah, that new blue is so pretty *drools*
Wow awesome job on this Phes. I think it looks great. Love the main banner/header

Glad you lads like the new skin.

i guess you guys know that the "search topic" tag still needs to be done?

Errr... No...?

Phes, do you want to host the images on the EB server?
They already are! Right Mr. Phes?

Yes. They were uploaded straight to Eurobricks.com and no other server has been used to store them.

I can also update that background pic to include the same blue you've switched the background too. That way you can still get the same ocean effect without Captain Green Hair crying and wetting his pants about it. :-P

That's already been done except for some reason the CSS isn't positioning it properly. I'm gonna fix that as soon as I figure out how.

"Search" is working fine for me...

hmm i may know what he means when i first joined i thought it was just my computer, not able to do a search since i was new or something what i failed to do was read this...

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please go back and increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords.

Useful Links

Forgotten Password Recovery

Register a new account

Our help documentation

Contact the forums administrator

I had typed in LDD, hence it was shorter than 4 characters...

snefroe, being a space mod i doubt it being as simple as this but "search" and 'search topic' seem to be working for me

Great job, Mister Phes! The under current and depth perception work great!

I have nothing else to say, unless I come upon a glitch :-) .

By all means, report glitches you come across as computers like to find clever ways of not working properly.

I've gone to great lengths to reduce that area of blue between the banner and start of the actual forum. I've added a texture to the water and some fish - maybe the fish are overkill... We'll see how they go for a day or so.

I like the fish there, they're a nice detail. I was going to even mention that adding some could be nice.

The number of fish, however, could be a bit less, unless it is a repeated background of sorts.

I didn't think it was possible to make the skin look better, but you did it somehow!

The background modifications look awesome.

I did get a small problem on a resolution of (width) 1200 pixels with the scrolling text.

scrolling-text.jpg

I'll need to have a think how to intelligently handle that News Ticker.

Maybe I could put it up in the banner where the menu is and then move the menu to where the News Ticker begins to scroll.

Hmmmm....

Well, there is some space between the tags "Reminder on how to behave in here" and "gallery," maybe that'll be a good place to put it?