Sign in to follow this  
Hobbes

"Cheap" 7044

Last Saturday I went to a local toy store to check if they had also restocked their LEGO. They had.

While I was standing there, drooling, I found a 7044 which I've wanted for some time. And after quite some time of hesitating and pondering I decided to just buy it. It was priced at EUR 20.49 which isn't cheap but to me it was worth the feeling of buying LEGO in real life :)

At the register I paid with my debit card. Side note: They had a system there where the cash register isn't hooked up to the debit card system. They scan the box, give you a receipt from the cash register and then "manually" type in the price into a smaller second register which is hooked up to the debit card system. You then get a second receipt which shows the amount your debit card will be charged.

When I went out the store I saw that the cash receipt said EUR 20.49, but the debit card receipt said EUR 2.49 - the cashier must have mistyped the price! Since they cannot charge more than "registered" with the debit card system I paid only EUR 2.49 for a brand new 7044 :oD

That's what I call a sale ;)

I've always liked it but somehow been reluctant to buy it. Now I like it even more ;)

It was fun to build, too. Lots of interesting parts. For this set I wouldn't have mind the correct price, either, but I just couldn't say "no" to a "discount offer" like this ;)

Hobbes! That's fantastic! Do you know if that was the fault of the cashier or the technology? If it was the technology you better jump in there and get a few more sets before they fix it!

It was the cashier's fault (she mistyped the amount). If it was the technology the store would be empty, trust me ;)

I remember back in the old days before everywhere scanned items, I took a cheaper price tag off something and put it on another thing. Then took it to the checkout and they only charged me the price on tag. And thus my piratical behaviour began...

LOL

Terrific! I used to do that, too, just not with LEGO which was too expensive for me one way or the other...

But now in the 21st century with the wonderful advancements in retail technology just about everything is barcoded and scanned. So no more manipulating the system!

Yeah, some stores use stickers. I must try that sometime - switch Fireball Catapult's sticker with Vladek's Dark Fortress... :^D

Sign in to follow this