Dr. Brick

Suspension bridge

Looks nice and modular!!

Depends on your funds as to whether it can be made in reality or not - from the drawings it looks more than feasibile to construct it for real

How many upright and road sections would you be thinking of making?

Wow, thats big. Nice job. It can definaltly be made in reality, but what a price!

Assuming a stong enough cable, I think so. What would you use? The basic parts look very stong and well designed. *wub* It's a shame it woud cost something astronomical to make... :'-( (Any idea of how much at this stage?)

Looking good! *y*

I would perhaps ditch the tiles used in the middle section for the trains, because trains do afterall use the rails rather than the stuff surrounding it to support itself. That's how it's done in reality, and it would look more realistic. Plus you'll save bucketloads of money by not "asphalting" the rails.

A question though - you are using the same building techniques used in the tower crane to build the supports, right? I'm thinking of the technic beams going vertically through the middle, used for strengthening, it looks like you are, but it's hard to tell.

Looking good! *y*

I would perhaps ditch the tiles used in the middle section for the trains, because trains do afterall use the rails rather than the stuff surrounding it to support itself. That's how it's done in reality, and it would look more realistic. Plus you'll save bucketloads of money by not "asphalting" the rails.

A question though - you are using the same building techniques used in the tower crane to build the supports, right? I'm thinking of the technic beams going vertically through the middle, used for strengthening, it looks like you are, but it's hard to tell.

Thanks everybody! Yes indeed, it is the technique as in the tower crane. Most solid LEGO structure I ever made so I thought it would do the right job.

I don't really know how long I would want it. As somebody who loves to design bridges my ultimate goal is building the longest LEGO bridge ever. (I don't know if there is a record length allready) >:-)

But I think the length will depend on, as Sinner said, the cables. I think it would have to be steel.

But of course the price will be the biggest obstacle. Making it with a LEGO club is in fact a very good idea AzMean. I shall think about that. ;-)

Dr. Brick

Yes, there is a world record - 37m!! http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/lego.html

It looks great, my only concern would be the brick built pillars. I'm not sure at that scale if Lego tolerances are close enough (think CC walls not lining up etc). Plus the downward force will be huuuuuuge!

My model of the Forth Bridge (6.1m long) is almost completely Technic built as there is more 'wiggle' room to line everything up.

Yes, there is a world record - 37m!! http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/lego.html

It looks great, my only concern would be the brick built pillars. I'm not sure at that scale if Lego tolerances are close enough (think CC walls not lining up etc). Plus the downward force will be huuuuuuge!

My model of the Forth Bridge (6.1m long) is almost completely Technic built as there is more 'wiggle' room to line everything up.

OK: my mission: build a LEGO bridge, 50 m long! >:-)

Forth road bridge or rail bridge? Are there pic's? I love the forth bridges! :-)

The pillars aren't completely brick built, the two outer ones have got a technic center bar, as in the tower crane. This is a very affective technique.

Dr. Brick

OK: my mission: build a LEGO bridge, 50 m long! >:-)

Forth road bridge or rail bridge? Are there pic's? I love the forth bridges! :-)

The pillars aren't completely brick built, the two outer ones have got a technic center bar, as in the tower crane. This is a very affective technique.

Dr. Brick

Its the Forth rail bridge. Some pics here - http://www.elsmore.net/warren/blog.nsf/Albums/WELE-6SAH3X - but I'm waiting for a show in a few weeks time to take some really good pics of it (it doesn't fit int he house ;-) )

Wow, that is sooooooooo good.

The forth rail bridge is really cool and you did a brilliant job to build it. :'-)

Dr. Brick

Though it would probably double the cost of your bridge, have you thought of making it a double decker one? I feel the design you've so far used would be perfect when you adjust it a bit here and there to accomodate a second deck. *sweet*

Sorry for late answer, but I'm on holiday. ;-)

You know, another deck is not bad idea. But I would have to rearrange alot of my design and as you say, it would probaly double the costs.

Dr. Brick