Hinckley

Waterslide decal paper resource

I use a color laser printer and I am having trouble locating a reliable decal paper supplier and therefore having trouble with the consistency of my customs.

Where do you find your paper and what kind do you use?

I am afraid I am using a low quality paper because when I print on clear and put it on any torso besides white or yellow, the colors are too transparent to show up. So I try to use white, but I'm using a laser printer and white laser decal paper doesn't seem to be easy to locate. What have you guys found works best?

I get my waterslide decal paper from Micromark. They have both clear and white decal paper for inkjet and laser printers. :)

Thank you sir! :-) I placed an order and I'll report back on how it goes...

No problem. It's always good to see another person get into customizing. :)

Follow-up questions based on our other thread:

When should I use transparent paper and when should I use white paper? Should a transparent decal show up on a darker torso? Will there always be a little transparency in solid colors even on a white or yellow torso using clear decals?

For example, what did you use here?:

2189257785_ef3cc21d51.jpg

EDIT: Now that I've applied the white decals and the clear coat, how can I remove them to salvage the torso for the improved design? :-$

Now that I've applied the white decals and the clear coat, how can I remove them to salvage the torso for the improved design?

Once you apply waterslide decals, you can't salvage them. You are gonna have to print more off and apply those. :| Sorry.

When should I use transparent paper and when should I use white paper? Should a transparent decal show up on a darker torso? Will there always be a little transparency in solid colors even on a white or yellow torso using clear decals?

Transparent paper is the kind you want to use the most, as it looks more professional. I only use white decal paper when I'm trying to get light colors like white, yellow, tan, etc. on a dark colored torso because they don't show up when using transparent decal paper.

For example, what did you use here?:

On that minifig, I used transparent decal paper because the only color I printed off was black..which shows up on everything besides black. If you have a dark colored torso like dark grey, and the only colors on your design are all dark..then it is better to use transparent paper.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much. :D

Once you apply waterslide decals, you can't salvage them. You are gonna have to print more off and apply those. :| Sorry.

I think he meant the torso 8-| . Or could I be mistaken?

I think you're right. I think I read to fast... :-$ I'll answer the other version..

To salvage a torso, some decals come off by using brasso like you do to remove the print from the original design.

*wub* Thanks for your insight and yes, I did mean the torso. ;-)

Good to know all of this. I had been wondering if I had crappy paper and what other customizers do. I realize, for example, that even tan doesn't show up well on anything but white. So, I'm trying not to use too much tan on yellow torsos. Do you have the same issue? I imagine most colors have to be altered a bit from the LEGO color palette since they will be a little transparent, am I right? In your experience, what colors show up the best on transparent decal paper?

If I can't, for example, put white or yellow on a green torso, then that will affect the way I choose my designs...

I know that's a lot of questions and I appreciate the time you've been taking to answer my other questions. :-$

Do you have the same issue? I imagine most colors have to be altered a bit from the LEGO color palette since they will be a little transparent, am I right? In your experience, what colors show up the best on transparent decal paper?

I can pretty much put tan on anything besides black, dark grey, dark red, and purple. Well the colors are almost always different because computer colors take in the rgb values differently. Plus, each printer prints differently. Some thicker, some thinner layers of ink.

Black shows up on transparent decal paper the best, for sure. All dark colors show up the best, some light colors are good too. If only I had an ALPS printer..

If I can't, for example, put white or yellow on a green torso, then that will affect the way I choose my designs...

Well, putting white on green is almost impossible with transparent decal paper...so that's a given. You either need to use white decal paper to get white on a torso, or if you have a special printer like Kaminoan which prints the color white. Which most printers don't print white.

I know that's a lot of questions and I appreciate the time you've been taking to answer my other questions.

No problemo.

Since I use a laser printer I use CMYK. To print white, I set it to 0001 or 1111 which is extremely light gray. if you are using RGB you can set the hexcode at "fefefe" and that should print "white" for you. If that doesn't work use "fafafa". I've never seen it happen, but some printers might translate the fefefe as ffffff.

Here's a chart for the hexcodes:

ffffff: R 255 G 255 B 255 (white will print clear)

fefefe: R 254 G 254 B 254

fafafa: R 250 G 250 B 250

I'll have to experiment with that on this new design I'm working on. Thanks!

No problem! It's the least I can do after all of the advice you've given me. X-D

I've just found a store in Holland: www.modelbrouwers.nl.

Just placed an order, let you know how it went ;-)

The store is great, sorry for the late answer.

I don't trust many websites (and neither do my parents) , so I don't want to order from them. Do sheets of normal blank decal paper from the craft store work? I remember printing stickers from them, and they worked.

I had my first test last week.

I'm a fan of that white decal paper, I tryed torso decals with that transparent paper, but i can't recomment this.

I will post the shop I bought my equipment for Germany soon.

At this time I only tested torsos and shields. In both times it is better you slice the decals smaller as your torso or Shield is. It is important that your edges are fixed, if not, you can lose your decal later.

Next time I will try the first head decals, I will also write my experience here.

Edit:

Here is the German Shop: Modellbaukönig

The Water slide papers are from "HOLI"

And I use Microscale "Liquid Decal Film" to finishing my printed decals (with inkjet Printer).

Edited by Hersbrucker

Is there a photo or video tutorial on how to use water slide decals on LEGO minifigures? This would be great!

Auntie Edith just went further through the tutorial index and found the great tutorial made by Hinckley. :wall:

Edited by PsyKater

Need some help and advise.

I have brought the clear water slide decal and use a laser printer for printing, but when i transfer the decal onto a dark color torso, the printed graphics color on the decal look kind of translucent and the color does not stand out.. Is it suppose to be like tat or i miss out any setting?

So in order to acheive a solid color look, i have to print on white decal?

Please kindly advise.. Stuck in the process... :(

*snip*

In my experience if you want to print a light colour onto a dark torso always use white decal paper

with any sort of paints or art Always print dark colours onto light colours, It is much harder to match white to white than black to black on decals.

The general rule is to not try to print a light colour on a darker background.

Hope this is informative.

~Liam

Edited by Legopast