Sign in to follow this  
Big T

Which would you buy - The Caribbean Clipper or Red Beard Runner?

Choose laddies  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these ships would you BUY?

• Caribbean Clipper
    • Red Beard Runner

I can't comment on the CC, but I did pick up the re-release of the Redbeard Runner in 2002. It was a good ship, but the color scheme was a bit of a mess, with a blue cabin, red hull (of course), white trim in some places, and gold elsewhere. But the size and number of cannons was excellent, and compensated for the above flaws. Bottom line: if you want realism and bluecoats, pick the CC. If you want size and larger-than-life adventure, pick the Redbeard Runner*

*or better yet, the Black Seas Barracuda! *wub*

if you need to strictly compare RBR with CC, then... RBR is better for play value. it is a bigger ship with more features than the CC. as for a nice display model, i think CC has better color coordination. from afar, RBR looks like a mish-mash of colors. also, nothing beats men in uniforms. :-P

I agree with you totally. I also think that a regular uniformed army would beat pirates any day.

I agree with you totally. I also think that a regular uniformed army would beat pirates any day.

pirate captain:

ARRR, attack!!!

*paf* *paf*

soldier officer:

Men, prepare to fire.

*pirates storm at the soldiers with cutlasses*

soldier officer:

Volley!

*paf*

*all Pirates dead*

ok, back to the topic. I'd chose the carribean clipper, although the ship needs another mast.

TT

I would definatley go with the Caribbean Clipper though maybe it might pay to see if you can get some more square sails off of e-bay or print some off of the EB sails library as the mizzen (second) mast seems a bit pointless.

Regards, Captain Zuloo

the Caribbean Clipper!

I have it actually. I love it, the colour scheme is great, blue and white...

as for the other - yes, it is bigger, but I find the sails a bit ugly. Don't like their design.

I would go with the Caribbean Clipper however that may be biased due to my liking if the “good guys.” Also, ever since I was in 3rd or 4th grade I saw a CC in the grade school library on display as a part of a project and ever since I wanted it.

Looking at it from an unbiased view you need to look at the pros and cons of each.

CC Pros

Wonderful color coordination

Realistic cannon setup

Highly collectible

Soldiers

Brown hull

Better sails

CC Cons

Why is the mast support coming down into the center of the ship?

Only one center section

No captain’s cabin

Needs two more cannons to make complete

No rear sail

The driver has no easy access to the rest of the crew

Rare

RBR Pros

Awesome skull design on the back

Captains cabin

More people

2nd hull section makes it more MOCer friendly

More common

RBR Cons

If rebuilding to make better, many of the rainbow colors likely wouldn’t suit most people.

Cannons on sliders are you serious? And, no space for people near the rear one.

Captain’s cabin filled with junk to make it collapsible

There is a treasure chest mounted in the floor behind the driver making rear defense difficult

Red hull

The sails have holes and are too high

The mast supports are too short in the front and too tall in the rear

The driver has no easy access to the rest of the crew

Either one is a good base to make a magnificent MOC and may be worth buying.

I have both and only buy when the price is right and other collectors seem to not be watching the auctions. Last week I bought a Skull’s Eye schooner for $108.50 however it was missing $42.50 worth of sails that I immediately bought on Bricklink. That still is a very good price for this ship. My suggestion is to wait and especially look for the BSB as it was re-released and seems like it goes for less than it should. I bought one of mine complete for $102, which I believe is right around the original price.

Let us know when you purchase a ship, and be patient when looking.

Duke

Edited by dukeschunke

Also, ever since I was in 3rd or 4th grade I saw a CC in the grade school library on display as a part of a project and ever since I wanted it.

That was Kevin (a.k.a. Bunny) in my class. X-D

He had a lot of sweet lego sets back in the day. *y*

My bro gave a lot of good pointers!

I'd take those into consideration.

P

If I'd have to choose between these two, Red Beard Runner it would be.

I don't dig the good guys ships, and as RBR is longer ship it has more modification value than Clipper I think

I m really hesitating.. but I'll vote for the RBR, because I prefer pirates ^^

I choose the Carribean Clipper too, since it is one of the older ships and those look the best. IMHO TLC has made a "contra-advance" if it comes down to looks and quality of it's ships from the Pirate line.

from BSB to SES to RBR

from CC to IF (they are both quite good) to the spanish flagship (can't recal the name)

I got the Caribbean Clipper and is way much better than the other ship :pir-classic: