Sign in to follow this  
simonwillems

Eight-wide Intercity train

indexed.gif

Hello fellow Eurobrickers!

I present to you the first eight-wide train I ever tried, somewhat based on the 7740 Intercity Train from 1980. I always liked this model but never got a chance to buy one at reasonable price.

The setup is the same as the 7740 (one locomotive, one passenger carriage and one diner carriage), it has the same length as the 7740 but that is where the similarities end.

The locomotive is powered by a 9 volt trainmotor and has 4 electric lights built in, two in front and two in the back. Cables for that run underneath the floor of the engine.

Building a train in eight-wide has unlimited possibilities when it comes to the interior, the locomotive has a big walk-through engine compartment with doors, the passenger carriage has lots of seats, fold-out tables and a toilet, the diner has a small bar, some tables and a sleeping compartment with two fold-out beds, a closet and a sink separated from the rest of the train by a small door.

p2180130.jpg_thumb.jpg p2180147.jpg_thumb.jpg p2180143.jpg_thumb.jpg p2180136.jpg_thumb.jpg p2180154.jpg_thumb.jpg

These pictures all are clickable

The entire Brickshelf Gallery

Only thing is that the motor has to withstand quite a lot when pulling this heavy train through the curves, but when it's in motion nothing can stop it... :'-)

All in all I am quite happy with the result, I had to enlarge my tunnel entrance, but the train is now capable to run across my entire layout.

Comments are very welcome!

:-)

Edited by Hinckley

I love it! The loc reminds me of the loc of the Benelux train of the NS;

1988_0234%20tn.jpg

An elegant and charming engine with, well, an engine indeed, very fine, a plain smart

passenger carriage with a beautiful interior and lovely details like these foldable tables

and the neat toilet. *y*

I

The outside of the train looks quite ordinary, but your effort is quickly revealed when you have a look at the interior where you have put in a lot of nice stuff. *y* I also find it an ingenious idea to place the cables under the floor of the locomotive! I have never thought about buidling an 8-wide train but getting more space inside is definitely a strong argument for it.

Very nice train!

What I like most is the small toilet, the kitchen and the restroom with the bunk beds. *wub* Very well done!

Like legotrainfan I have never thought of building trains that way, but this IS a reason to build trains 8-stud-wide.

I would have chosen another colour but blue, though.

8 ON!