KDog

Lego: Space - The Comic

Thanks, Batbrick. I figured today's comic might surprise folks a bit.

New comic:

DACTA (Part 1)

http://www.drunkduck.com/Lego_Space/?p=385851

This goes waaaaaaaaaaaay back to the mysterious third comic strip in this series. See, I told you I didn't forget about it.

DACTA (typically seen in lowercase) is Lego's (sometimes marginally) educational line of toys that I think is only available through schools. There is a very rare Lego Space DACTA set, which features an awesome-looking base, a set of vehicles in different scales (some fit minifigs, some are too small), and a bunch of mismatch-colored Futuron astronauts, half of which seem to be dressed up for Christmas festivities. While I'm not lucky or rich enough to own the bizarre DACTA Futuron set, I was able to recreate two of the astronauts for use in this comic.

Nice, is there a continuety in them?

I try to have some continuity, lol.

Another great episode, it is interesting to see how it all links up. As for the DACTA news team, I must say I never thought of them as newsreaders!

Another great episode, it is interesting to see how it all links up. As for the DACTA news team, I must say I never thought of them as newsreaders!

It's more of an extension of DACTA being an educational line. And me needing a news broadcast in the story. And an excuse to use the DACTA Futuron guys I put together. :)

Edited by KDog

Brilliant stuff KDog, I love the DACTA news reporters, that made me crack up! :-D

I love how this is going, you keep the continuity fantastically, and I love all the different space lines you use.

Keep up the terrific work there, I really look forward to the next one, and love to read them over!

Batbrick Away! >:-)

Thanks for the glowing review, Batbrick! I truly appreciate those of you who leave comments here. I was starting to wonder if you're the only people reading the comic, but I checked the pageviews for the comic and saw it gets between about 200-300 a day, sometimes more. So, I know that there must be a lot of readers, they're just doing so quietly. :) When you consider my last comic got about 10 views a day, and I had to fight hard even for those, I'm jazzed about having more people read my work. Of course, it being something everyone knows like Lego probably helps!

The current storyline about the newscast will last a couple weeks, because I want it to establish the continuity and connection between the characters and plots. What's a challenge is to keep up the humor and not left it fall by the wayside for serious plot.

The current storyline about the newscast will last a couple weeks, because I want it to establish the continuity and connection between the characters and plots. What's a challenge is to keep up the humor and not left it fall by the wayside for serious plot.

Yes, that would be the hard part wouldn't it? You certainly are doing a great job so far though, moving along the story and providing the humour, and I've learnt a lot about space I didn't know about before. Is there any themes of space (excluding DACTA) that you don't have any sets of?

Anyway, I eagerly look forward to the next one!

Batbrick Away! >:-)

I'm following each and every one. :-) Just been too busy to post recently. I like the appearance of the funky Dacta guys too. :-D

Thanks again, CP. Glad you're keeping up. :)

I hope I'm not leading you astray at all, Batbrick. Lego, I'm sure purposely, left things mostly open to interpretation. I use my view of the story behind the Lego Space factions in the comic, as well as ideas I've read elsewhere.

I'll admit that I have an obscene Lego collection, which is abut 95% Space and takes up a whole plastic cabinet. I have at least one set from every Space theme. I have the most sets from Classic (although only a couple from the first 4 or 5 years of it), UFO and Insectoids. My collection is sparse when it comes to M:Tron, Ice Planet, RoboForce, Spyrius, Mission to Mars and Unitron. I have a decent representation of sets from the other subthemes. If you wanna see a complete list of my excess, I have my collection cataloged on Brickset, which you can view here:

http://brickset.com/lists/collection.aspx?User=KDog

I hope I'm not leading you astray at all, Batbrick. Lego, I'm sure purposely, left things mostly open to interpretation. I use my view of the story behind the Lego Space factions in the comic, as well as ideas I've read elsewhere.

Oh no, not at all, I meant by the little commentaries you leave at the bottom of each strip which often gives little bits of information. I quite enjoy that, as I know not much of most space, despite a return of the classics being what I would really want from TLC, the only space themes I managed to get sets from was the original Space police, UFO, and Insectoids, the latter being my favourite.

On the contrary, what I love a lot about this comic (and makes it stand up to repaet viewings), is your funny, yet appropriate interpretations of each. Who else but UFO as a (supposed) badguy? DACTA, the educational line as geeky new reporters, how appropriate! M:Tron obsessed naturaly with magnets, stuff like that is clever and certanily makes me laugh.

Batbrick Away! :-D

Edited by Batbrick

Whew, three comics in three days! It'll probably be a few days until the next comic is up. Gotta work, sleep and eat sometime. ;-)

If you're a UFO buff (and I mean the phenomenon, not the Lego theme), this too might all seem familiar... Look up Kenneth Arnold.

And yay for cheesy Photoshop effects!

http://drunkduck.com/Lego_Space/index.php?p=386262

Y'know, sometimes I wonder if any actual people from The Lego Group are reading the comic, and what they think, and (hopefully) if they enjoy it (and don't wanna send the sharks after me). I've seen at least one of the Ambassadors says that TLG does read these sites. That's why I added the disclaimer saying this is all in good fun.

Edited by KDog

KDog, good job! Been following your comic, i like the way u do your pictures! *sweet* Will be looking forward to your updates!

KDog, good job! Been following your comic, i like the way u do your pictures! *sweet* Will be looking forward to your updates!

Cool, thanks Whitefang! New readers are good. :)

How did I miss the last two episodes!?

Anyway, yet again I found them very entertaining, the photography is great, the plot is thought out and rather clever as far as comics go, and even their are still some mysteries! Oh and nice photoshopping too.

Edited by Lord Of Pies

I'm a follower of your comic, my favorite strip being the M:Tron Bar Brawl mania, they're such jerks, those M:trons! *laugh*

I must admit I have been following these, and I love them! Keep up the great work, I love to see new episodes! *y*

~Peace