Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Outback Airstrip 6444 Picture Review

I've been wanting to share a picture review of the Outback Airstrip (6444) for some time now, and finally decided to snap some shots. First, let me say that this little set is one of my all-time favorites becuase it can be used to sumplement a number of different themes. 1) the set makes a great little adventure airstrip for Adventurers and more recent, the Indiana Jones theme (see also German Headquarters and Port Adventure). I've also used the set as an addition to my Wild West town. The tan baseplate and windmill works great, just subtract the plane, modern equipment, and figs. And lastly, as the set was intended, as an Outback/desert airstrip.

Set Description:

Outback Airstrip

Set # 6444

Pieces: 157

Release Date: 1997

Original Price: $20 (USD)

Starting with the box:

01-boxfront.jpg

And the backside. Notice the alternate models. I love the swamp boat:

02-boxback.jpg

The building is my favorite part of the set. It is simple, has a little detail, two great roof pieces, and a single green window (great piece!):

03-buildingrt.jpg

Check out the great windmill piece. It's my only one and makes a great part for Wild West and that farm you always wanted to build. I used it for the Barnhouse of Barnabas Higgens and Spring Valley Ranch

04-buildinglf.jpg

On the side of the building is a great radio and a clear glass:

05-radio.jpg

Unfortunately, no furniture can be found within the building:

06-interior.jpg

And now the airplane:

07-plane1.jpg

Front view; I love the twin propellors:

08-planefront.jpg

Side view:

09-planeside.jpg

And the rear section:

10-planeback.jpg

The back has a small cargo hold for some boxes/freight or some gear needed in the Outback:

11-planecargo.jpg

The set includes three figs, two with cool shades:

12-figs.jpg

And some great equipment. I love the boom box:

13-accessories.jpg

A shot of the whole set:

14-whole1.jpg

And another:

15-whole2.jpg

Summary: As I mentioned above, this set is very versatile and can suplement a few different themes. It's my personal favorite of the Outback collection and I'm really glad I was able to find the set in the late 90s (I almost didn't buy). Sets like this are timeless and so much fun to build and display.

Hope you enjoy the review.

Thank you for the great review!

I unfortunately do not own this set, but it looks very nice, even if the interior is a bit bare. But still we get 3 cool propeller pieces, a boom box and clear glasses, some very useful parts indeed!

Shouldn't that set be in the city forum 8-| The outback theme is really a sub city theme and not adventurer :-P

Very nice review though Brickster ;-)

*yoda*

Thank you for that very fine review of a really great set that offers a lot of

adventurous atmosphere and that can be well used as a starting point for

many exciting tales of dangerous undertakings. *y*

By looking at your neat pictures and the box art of that set I can

I love this set! *wub* Oddly I don't think these were common in Australia. The first I heard of this was via some online instruction browsing. Thanks for the great review. *sweet*

Thanks for the review! That plane makes me think of the one from Flight of the Phoenix.

Thanks for this brilliant review of a fantastic set TheBrickster. I love those roof pieces, and that nice little building, as you say this set would be great integrating into various themes. Great little details like the tires on grass, and the weather vane. I love that radio too. The Twin Boom constructed plane (Yes, I know a lot about planes, well, old ones anyway) is great, and the construction is very nice.

Thanks again, a great set.

Batbrick Away! >:-)

This was one of my favorite sets of all time for some reason. I used to spend hours playing with the little plane and the airstrip while ignoring all the other Lego sets (including my big favorites of police and fire/rescue) :-D

I liked to pretend the plane was part of a rebel or mercenary air force and I attached some little black flagpoles to the wings as machine guns. I actually had a whole custom mercenary army (basically I took every civilian vehicle/airplane/boat I had and mounted them with machine guns, Bofors cannons, etc) and then I had them fight the Best Lock or one of the Lego rip offs that produced a military theme (looking at Best Lock's website my sets and figures look very different - im confused now since I swear they are Best Lock that I have).

would love to have it - thanks for the review...

too bad it was released in my dark ages, it would get along perfectly with this:

6665-1-966392448.jpg

which I own and simply love... *wub*

outback on!

I used to spend hours playing with the little plane and the airstrip while ignoring all the other Lego sets.

I liked to pretend the plane was part of a rebel or mercenary air force and I attached some little black flagpoles to the wings as machine guns. I actually had a whole custom mercenary army.

Chris:

These are the stories that I really enjoy hearing. *y* The real fun with great sets like this is in the imagination that people like you bring to the set. Reminds me of my "fun times" with Lego, before I got boring and just started displaying my collection.

too bad it was released in my dark ages, it would get along perfectly with this:

6665-1-966392448.jpg

which I own and simply love... *wub*

I saw a picture of this set a year or two ago. What a great set! Makes me want to go river rafting X-O !

i bought this set about a year and a half ago because... well it was boxed X-D and from another century... :-| so i thought it was ok to buy it :-|

It's not a bad set, that's for sure. so no complaints, but it doesn't reach my all time top 30 of city sets, honestly... what bothers me the most is the black mast and the duplo rotor... at least it reminds me of the duplo thing... i think both are not really lego mf-parts, but from other themes. isn't the mast some sort of Jack stone part? a bad sign of what's to come, imo...

to me, this set, and the others from this timeframe, will always be associated with the falling apart of the real city though. To me, outback was an attempt by Lego to keep the city line alive by going the exotic way. as a consequence, it doesn't feel like it's a part of the city sets... it's something between city and some sort of modern day adventures... couldn't really relate to it when i saw this in the 1997 catalog back then... Can't imagine that it was all that successfull as a line...

to me, this set, and the others from this timeframe, will always be associated with the falling apart of the real city though. To me, outback was an attempt by Lego to keep the city line alive by going the exotic way. as a consequence, it doesn't feel like it's a part of the city sets... it's something between city and some sort of modern day adventures... couldn't really relate to it when i saw this in the 1997 catalog back then... Can't imagine that it was all that successfull as a line...

How could you Sne? I think this is better than that. I actually liked the Outback theme (perhaps it reminds me a little of WW - at least this set).

And I actually like the windmill piece. It is a large piece, but it makes for a good windmill.