anothergol

"not Lego" for adults

The last few days I've had one of the best brick-building experience I've had with Lego's, and it wasn't Lego's. Or it was, originally. I'm talking about the Arvo brothers's stuff now made available by XingBao.

I know it's a touchy subject here, but well, it's not Lepin (or is it?) and they actually paid the authors, for once (well, they most likely didn't pay for licenses of the original themes, but strangely no one seems to have any problem with that).

Anyway: I'm not gonna review them, a dozen people probably already have on Youtube. I'm just gonna say, I'm gonna recommand them a lot. The chestburster is absolutely a must-have, the Bubble Bobble dragons as well. Kaneda's bike, yeah, but only if you're a little masochist.

So, those things are probably the first in a big change, I think, for AFOLs. Lego would never have produced these. To start with, they would have rejected the themes, except for Bubble Bobble, but that one would have required a lot of luck on Lego Ideas.
Then, they are chock-full of illegal connections, weird techniques, they're pure MOCs. Well, Kaneda's bike has even more to do with a model kit (& I believe it's going too far in that matter), requiring cutting & glueing.

So, why I think it's gonna change things? There is certainly a market for these. I've thought "I'd buy this" a lot more time seeing MOCs on Flickr, than seeing Lego official sets, and now it's becoming a reality (sure, the Arvo brothers were already selling their manuals, but some parts in their inventories alone cost more than the kits).

Either Lego cares about adults, or they don't. Can I imagine Lego doing not-kid-rated themes? Probably not, or maybe as a subsidiary brand (I doubt it). Would Lego go for a theme that, while not allowing illegal connections, would go back to the 80's durability, to give us better-looking but more fragile sets? Would Lego completely give up & focus more on what still makes them unique, the minifig? Looks like what they're already doing.
I don't know how Lego is gonna react, but there's definitely a market. Perhaps it's so tiny that they just don't care, but I know where my money will go, if more is released like the Chestburster.

That upcoming Millennium Falcon.. One can dream it will look like Marshal Banana's MOC. The Chinese would make that real. Will Lego's hold up to that MOC, and still fit their rule book? We'll see..

Lego made a weird choice with Brickheadz. It's typically their version of Funko POP's & others.. but limiting that to kids-friendly stuff, that makes it a lot less interesting IMHO. I've seen a lot of "Brickheadz" on Flickr that I'd buy.. but here again, it's not Lego that's gonna produce them.

Edited by anothergol

I knew it'd be moved to where it wouldn't be seen, but really, it was a discussion about Lego. Because I'm sure it's gonna force Lego to adapt.

I believe, that whatever products Lego make that are aimed toward an older market (Technic, Creator Expert, Architecture, UCS scale sets, etc.), that they must also still be appropriate for their target audience (6-11 year olds). So this means that we will never see something such as a Chestburster or other heavy horror related products, and I certainly hope we never will.

It's not so much about my personal opinion or preference for that source material, it's that I definitely do not want to see Lego start catering to certain adult markets and interests that otherwise would not at all be suitable for children. Nor would Ole Kirk Christiansen either.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

and I certainly hope we never will.

But why?

Oh, and they already do, kinda. "Deadpool the Duck" is, directly or indirectly, a much worse license than Alien, for children.

7 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I believe, that whatever products Lego make that are aimed toward an older market (Technic, Creator Expert, Architecture, UCS scale sets, etc.), that they must also still be appropriate for their target audience (6-11 year olds). So this means that we will never see something such as a Chestburster or other heavy horror related products, and I certainly hope we never will.

It's not so much about my personal opinion or preference for that source material, it's that I definitely do not want to see Lego start catering to certain adult markets and interests that otherwise would not at all be suitable for children. Nor would Ole Kirk Christiansen either.

^This, this, and this!!!^

Lego bricks are for kids. Any, and every product Lego makes was, is, and always will be kid friendly. Period.

5 hours ago, anothergol said:

But why?

What I said above.

7 hours ago, anothergol said:

But why?

Oh, and they already do, kinda. "Deadpool the Duck" is, directly or indirectly, a much worse license than Alien, for children.

Why? Just read the last paragraph of my post, merely out of respect for Ole Kirk, who I'm pretty sure would not want to see TLG to head that direction.

As far as Deadpool Duck goes, there may be not as much oversight by TLG when it comes to SDCC exclusive's source material, that would be my guess.

Now regarding the issue of complex construction techniques, I think we have seen a few good examples of the utilization of such in more recent advanced sets, such as the Lego Ideas Apollo Saturn V Rocket, which I think is quite amazing as far as its construction goes.

They've already done Deadpool anyway, so Deadpool Duck doesn't seem to be that big a step. But I think these little steps are changing the company, albeit very slowly. People said the same about The Simpsons, why are they making it (although of course lego stopped short of doing Moe and Barney, Otto, etc). People said the same about making the Nazi characters in Indiana Jones. All small steps away from the original principles.

36 minutes ago, MAB said:

(although of course lego stopped short of doing Moe and Barney, Otto, etc).

Yeah that saddened me. The Simpsons theme was pretty much the only Lego theme I collected entirely (mainly because there are only 2 sets & minifigs). It sucked that the second batch of minifigs covered the whole family again, and not these key characters.

I didn't know they had already made Deadpool. And that was in 2012? Weird..  How has this not changed their vision since then? I can't imagine much worse than Deadpool as for "kids safety". Deadpool ok, Barney/Moe not ok... well.. The SImpsons is rather kids friendly, I mean, it's not South Park..

..which reminds me that we also got a not-Lego South Park theme, thanks to McFarlane! I don't know what it's worth, though. Makes more sense for South Park than it did for Game of Thrones mixed with realistic figures.
Game of Thrones, in Lego... if only..

Edited by anothergol

38 minutes ago, MAB said:

They've already done Deadpool anyway, so Deadpool Duck doesn't seem to be that big a step. But I think these little steps are changing the company, albeit very slowly. People said the same about The Simpsons, why are they making it (although of course lego stopped short of doing Moe and Barney, Otto, etc). People said the same about making the Nazi characters in Indiana Jones. All small steps away from the original principles.

I often forget about the Simpsons, perhaps it's just because I block it out.

Lego really never should have done the Simpsons license, not to mention the minifigures all used ugly "not Lego" heads. :sick:

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I often forget about the Simpsons, perhaps it's just because I block it out.

Lego really never should have done the Simpsons license, not to mention the minifigures all used ugly "not Lego" heads. :sick:

I think its great they did it - first there is a huge fanbase, second the "design" of the Comic/Series blends well with the simplicity of lego bricks - just take Kwik E mart for example, looks like the real deal cause the "real deal" is as simple as basic shapes = Lego. And it would have been weird to use standard heads - just like Mickey and Diseny etc - wouldnt get the job done otherwise.

On 26.7.2017 at 11:09 PM, anothergol said:

The last few days I've had one of the best brick-building experience I've had with Lego's, and it wasn't Lego's. Or it was, originally. I'm talking about the Arvo brothers's stuff now made available by XingBao.

I know it's a touchy subject here, but well, it's not Lepin (or is it?) and they actually paid the authors, for once (well, they most likely didn't pay for licenses of the original themes, but strangely no one seems to have any problem with that).

Anyway: I'm not gonna review them, a dozen people probably already have on Youtube. I'm just gonna say, I'm gonna recommand them a lot. The chestburster is absolutely a must-have, the Bubble Bobble dragons as well. Kaneda's bike, yeah, but only if you're a little masochist.

So, those things are probably the first in a big change, I think, for AFOLs. Lego would never have produced these. To start with, they would have rejected the themes, except for Bubble Bobble, but that one would have required a lot of luck on Lego Ideas.
Then, they are chock-full of illegal connections, weird techniques, they're pure MOCs. Well, Kaneda's bike has even more to do with a model kit (& I believe it's going too far in that matter), requiring cutting & glueing.

So, why I think it's gonna change things? There is certainly a market for these. I've thought "I'd buy this" a lot more time seeing MOCs on Flickr, than seeing Lego official sets, and now it's becoming a reality (sure, the Arvo brothers were already selling their manuals, but some parts in their inventories alone cost more than the kits).

Either Lego cares about adults, or they don't. Can I imagine Lego doing not-kid-rated themes? Probably not, or maybe as a subsidiary brand (I doubt it). Would Lego go for a theme that, while not allowing illegal connections, would go back to the 80's durability, to give us better-looking but more fragile sets? Would Lego completely give up & focus more on what still makes them unique, the minifig? Looks like what they're already doing.
I don't know how Lego is gonna react, but there's definitely a market. Perhaps it's so tiny that they just don't care, but I know where my money will go, if more is released like the Chestburster.

That upcoming Millennium Falcon.. One can dream it will look like Marshal Banana's MOC. The Chinese would make that real. Will Lego's hold up to that MOC, and still fit their rule book? We'll see..

Lego made a weird choice with Brickheadz. It's typically their version of Funko POP's & others.. but limiting that to kids-friendly stuff, that makes it a lot less interesting IMHO. I've seen a lot of "Brickheadz" on Flickr that I'd buy.. but here again, it's not Lego that's gonna produce them.

I hear you, i've seen those aswell - the quality is said to be very good for the price. You will certainly hit a spot here with quite a few people - but discussion is discussion.
Its somewhat obvious they dont make these themes, since it will stay to 80% a childrens toy. AFOLs only make 20% of the market - a number, but not the number. Pretty much like you stated in not expecting this to happen.
The main thing i dont understand, and to throw something in concerning TLG and its future against clones:

Why not sell individual bricks or better common brick combinations like "screwboxes" found in construction stores? That would save resources, make parts cheaper - and be more close to legos original intend: A BUILDING SYSTEM!
Just imagine an "minifig accessory, clip and bar box" containg all types of modern grey tones (ideal for a spacecraft, car , castle themes etc). This one could even be pricey.
Another box could contain slopes and wedge plates from a certain colour area of the colour circle (blue to green, red to yellow).
Im quite sure they could cover most MOCCers desires with 20 "screwbox" sets for like a first wave and then add and remove depending on request....
Imagine this happening 20 years ago - the lego community would be on a whole new level and we wouldnt have to worry about buying expensive at Prick a Brick (and somewhat bricklinks thanks to shipping costs) or feeling the guilt/need of buying fake bricks from China. Some things are apparently just impossible for TLG - i think they could turn the market around if they wanted.

Also, individual parts support the own ideas and imagination of a builder, especially 14+. Design those boxes in a nice black box with minimalistic Logo like architecture set and allready you have the bricks look more professional - perhaps appealing to more adults?
This could easily be done next to them designing sets, they could just do less sets instead (we have way too many anyway - even kids loose track these days of whats out there!). They could keep the license themes for fig collectors and fans (+do a modular each year and a few technic sets) - Just stamp in the own and city ones in (they all look the same each year anyway - a police station 10 years ago isnt really much different from todays, so why make a new one each year? I bet more licenses is bought than those plain themes....)

That would establish LEGO more as a quality product of "fine parts" rather than being a toy, where people/parents dont really care if its copied in china or not. Also, kids are not just all about "figs and action play", i bet they'd also buy these for their own ideas....and it would do us AFOLs a great favor! ;-)

I'm having a hard time understanding what the topic is, I'm guessing there's a word filter at play.

But from what I can glean, those sets described in the first post sound cool, where can we check them out?

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

7 hours ago, Ron Dayes said:

Why not sell individual bricks or better common brick combinations like "screwboxes" found in construction stores? That would save resources, make parts cheaper - and be more close to legos original intend: A BUILDING SYSTEM!
Just imagine an "minifig accessory, clip and bar box" containg all types of modern grey tones (ideal for a spacecraft, car , castle themes etc). This one could even be pricey.
Another box could contain slopes and wedge plates from a certain colour area of the colour circle (blue to green, red to yellow).
Im quite sure they could cover most MOCCers desires with 20 "screwbox" sets for like a first wave and then add and remove depending on request....
Imagine this happening 20 years ago - the lego community would be on a whole new level and we wouldnt have to worry about buying expensive at Prick a Brick (and somewhat bricklinks thanks to shipping costs) or feeling the guilt/need of buying fake bricks from China. Some things are apparently just impossible for TLG - i think they could turn the market around if they wanted.

But don't they already? The only problem is that they believe the market is smaller children, thus those "boxes of bricks" are dumb selections of dumb parts in dumb colors, for 4 year olds who wanna build a wall with a window & a door.
There is also actually an existing architecture building set, but you really gotta like white bricks at silly prices.

This said, it wouldn't work for MOCers like me who do everything 3D. I'm more than fine with Bricks&Pieces/Bricklink combo, I only wish
1. Lego was really selling all new parts. Can't tell if they're not interested selling, or if they do it on purpose for sets to be bought more. But waiting over a year for a new part to appear, that plainly sucks. I nearly purchased fake 2x2 wedge plates on Ali, thinking that Lego would take years to produce those. Turns out they just appeared in a Ninjago set.. but how many months until they can be bought individually?

2. they wouldn't let prices inflate by stopping the production of some parts. There's a story of those 1x1 technic bushes that once appeared in black & are now extremely expensive. The designer of a Lego Ideas MOC really wanted to feature these again in his set, Lego said no, so they sometimes do this on purpose.
Here I think it's an opportunity for the chinese. China copies luxury items, and many Lego parts have become a luxury item. As I wrote, there are some parts in Kaneda's Bike that, alone, cost more than the whole set.

5 hours ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

I'm having a hard time understanding what the topic is, I'm guessing there's a word filter at play.

But from what I can glean, those sets described in the first post sound cool, where can we check them out?

My post doesn't seem to have been filtered.

The sets aren't secret, they're well known since they have been so far pure Lego MOCs that you could buy the instructions for.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/arvobrothers/

LEGO Alien Chestburster

Interestingly, the Xingbao version has chromed teeth, and some rather stupid prints on the front. It says "blood pool" next to.. the blood pool. Perhaps it's some reference that I'm missing, but it looks more like "chinese guy added some random english words" just like we would have added a random cool-looking chinese ideogram.

They have also released cars & stuff from other MOCers. Not much interested in those but they look nice.

These sets are also a nice travel in the history of Lego btw. Quite ironic that the only chance to see an old "fingers" hinge & many other retired Lego parts, today in a proper set, is through a chinese copy.

Edited by anothergol

3 hours ago, anothergol said:

But don't they already? The only problem is that they believe the market is smaller children, thus those "boxes of bricks" are dumb selections of dumb parts in dumb colors, for 4 year olds who wanna build a wall with a window & a door.
There is also actually an existing architecture building set, but you really gotta like white bricks at silly prices.

This said, it wouldn't work for MOCers like me who do everything 3D. I'm more than fine with Bricks&Pieces/Bricklink combo, I only wish
1. Lego was really selling all new parts. Can't tell if they're not interested selling, or if they do it on purpose for sets to be bought more. But waiting over a year for a new part to appear, that plainly sucks. I nearly purchased fake 2x2 wedge plates on Ali, thinking that Lego would take years to produce those. Turns out they just appeared in a Ninjago set.. but how many months until they can be bought individually?

2. they wouldn't let prices inflate by stopping the production of some parts. There's a story of those 1x1 technic bushes that once appeared in black & are now extremely expensive. The designer of a Lego Ideas MOC really wanted to feature these again in his set, Lego said no, so they sometimes do this on purpose.
Here I think it's an opportunity for the chinese. China copies luxury items, and many Lego parts have become a luxury item. As I wrote, there are some parts in Kaneda's Bike that, alone, cost more than the whole set.

My post doesn't seem to have been filtered.

The sets aren't secret, they're well known since they have been so far pure Lego MOCs that you could buy the instructions for.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/arvobrothers/

LEGO Alien Chestburster

Interestingly, the Xingbao version has chromed teeth, and some rather stupid prints on the front. It says "blood pool" next to.. the blood pool. Perhaps it's some reference that I'm missing, but it looks more like "chinese guy added some random english words" just like we would have added a random cool-looking chinese ideogram.

They have also released cars & stuff from other MOCers. Not much interested in those but they look nice.

These sets are also a nice travel in the history of Lego btw. Quite ironic that the only chance to see an old "fingers" hinge & many other retired Lego parts, today in a proper set, is through a chinese copy.

Yes, exactly -they sell cheap unwanted bricks in full buckets aimed at the youngest ages -a shame - but if it were assorted, a lil box full of one colour or a certain types of items that are usually hard to get in a mix? That could also be a chance for rare parts to have production value in large numbers so they get made again. It would simply be like walking in a hobby store and buying the colours you want for your painting - i think it would work, since there are many who really run into the stores and buy certain polybags and Pick a brick wall buckets just for the parts. Bricklink is soo overcomplicated compared to just buying it straight hand - that could establish TLG's part selling a lot better and more efficient - i even wondered why they "let" bricklink have all the superiority in that matter. many parts u see there are great hauls from LUG users - so there is kinda a "factory" outlet - they just dont seem interested of doing loose parts selling themselves. They are way too focused on sets, so that might not seem an option to them other for toddlers creativity with those buckets. They could perhaps sell loose parts with an "ideas" booklet licensed by some moccers (or i even bet their own designers are up to the task - but are kept on a leash in favor of safety etc), thus establishing a completly new way of building with bricks for the rather unexperienced.
Playmobil is doing that kind of thing, selling individual parts in catalogues which you can order at home - so, eventually it is a possible strategy.
And yes, they do have architecture - but i meant they should design more "boxes" in that style for the afol section, since it doesnt look so colorful and childish. 2x2 Wedge plates also came with the new speed champions (you should focus on cars more - there were 3 new parts released for that theme this year, also many more colours to existing bricks)

The cars by firas btw are excellent MOCs to buy from Xingbao - also containing many useful parts usually harder to get and certainly not at this price...
No idea why the Chinese even bother adding their own lettering on stuff - perhaps they want to clarify certain aspects to an audience that might be unfamiliar with the references their sets are showing? (asian market didnt even fully knew star wars until TFA and Rogue one)

The fingers hinges are like one thing i really crave for - they are simply the best hinge connections - not so playsafe, but when it comes to my MOCs i have them almost in every build. There is no other option to get a smooth hinge thing going in a 1 plate high environment to be covered completly by bricks.... Now if china was smart, they should release certain parts that are rare - just like that, as u mentioned.

3 hours ago, Ron Dayes said:

Yes, exactly -they sell cheap unwanted bricks in full buckets aimed at the youngest ages -a shame - but if it were assorted, a lil box full of one colour or a certain types of items that are usually hard to get in a mix? That could also be a chance for rare parts to have production value in large numbers so they get made again. It would simply be like walking in a hobby store and buying the colours you want for your painting - i think it would work, since there are many who really run into the stores and buy certain polybags and Pick a brick wall buckets just for the parts. Bricklink is soo overcomplicated compared to just buying it straight hand - that could establish TLG's part selling a lot better and more efficient - i even wondered why they "let" bricklink have all the superiority in that matter. many parts u see there are great hauls from LUG users - so there is kinda a "factory" outlet - they just dont seem interested of doing loose parts selling themselves. They are way too focused on sets, so that might not seem an option to them other for toddlers creativity with those buckets. They could perhaps sell loose parts with an "ideas" booklet licensed by some moccers (or i even bet their own designers are up to the task - but are kept on a leash in favor of safety etc), thus establishing a completly new way of building with bricks for the rather unexperienced.
Playmobil is doing that kind of thing, selling individual parts in catalogues which you can order at home - so, eventually it is a possible strategy.
And yes, they do have architecture - but i meant they should design more "boxes" in that style for the afol section, since it doesnt look so colorful and childish. 2x2 Wedge plates also came with the new speed champions (you should focus on cars more - there were 3 new parts released for that theme this year, also many more colours to existing bricks)

The cars by firas btw are excellent MOCs to buy from Xingbao - also containing many useful parts usually harder to get and certainly not at this price...
No idea why the Chinese even bother adding their own lettering on stuff - perhaps they want to clarify certain aspects to an audience that might be unfamiliar with the references their sets are showing? (asian market didnt even fully knew star wars until TFA and Rogue one)

The fingers hinges are like one thing i really crave for - they are simply the best hinge connections - not so playsafe, but when it comes to my MOCs i have them almost in every build. There is no other option to get a smooth hinge thing going in a 1 plate high environment to be covered completly by bricks.... Now if china was smart, they should release certain parts that are rare - just like that, as u mentioned.

Remember that Lego used to sell small packs of specific pieces, like cog wheels, electrical wires & such. In a way they still do, much less.
But really, I'm fine with Bricklink, it's so perfect (it used to be messier) to me that I'd be Lego, I'd have an official Lego Bricklink store & close that broken Bricks&Pieces. Lego is clearly not interested in selling parts, they aren't even promoting Brick&Pieces, it feels like you're cheating the system when you access it. They probably do it to stock out remaining parts more quickly.
But if Lego was really interested in selling parts, they could easily add a "request/wanted system" (wait, Bricklink has that too), and (re)start the production when enough people wanted a part. I'm sure we will eventually get to this system, from a tiny producer (like for minifig accessories), even though those won't be cheap.

Until then, as I once told some asian guy who contacted me (he had plans to do pretty much what Xingbao did), the chinese should simply take a look at Bricklink's top more expensive parts, the top wanted unexisting colors for existing parts, and do cheap bags of that, as assortments.
Oh you can also buy individual parts in bulk, in some shops on Ali. Never did, because I don't know which manufacturer it is behind these, & if the colors really match Lego's. But I've already seen parts in unexisting colors there.

I'd really like finger hinges in modern gray. Funnily, the 2-fingers one does exist in LBG, and never got its counterpart.
Lego kinda went back to finger hinges, for the recent books in Nexo. If they are ok with those hinges (& they work fine), they should do plate version of them.

Seeing where this discussion has now gone, I will admit, we do need to see more accessible options from Lego for part availability. Now as great as color specific part packs would be, I could only see something like that happening if we saw a more mainstream resurgence in adult hobbyism, an adult market I think Lego would gladly cater to more if that were the case. 

Currently though, a possibly more viable option could be a return to the Designer subtheme of sets for Creator. Seen from 2003-2005, the concept of those sets were great since their 8 in 1 to 15 in 1 format made them more of a themed part pack, instead of merely a build with two alternate smaller constructs.

Here is the Brickset listing for the Designer subtheme linked below for reference.

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Creator/subtheme-Designer-Set

On 7/28/2017 at 3:53 AM, Ron Dayes said:

Now if china was smart, they should release certain parts that are rare

I could see that, like those old parts packs anothergol mentioned.  But I really doubt there's enough of a market to make it profitable.

Agreed on the old hinges though.

2Z6yFNR.jpg

Edited by Space Police XVIII

Lego has made leaps & bounds in recent years to cater to adults. Nearly every Licensed theme adults flock to. Sure, some of the builds are lackluster or repeats, but part of the point to LEGO is to use your imagination to build what you want. They can't & shouldn't cater to a niche market, say the Chestbuster, for example. Perhaps they should broaden what could be accepted on Ideas to include subjects like that, as that would be a great identifier to whether or not that would sell.

They certainly have a bit of a mystery stand when it comes to characters, although said characters involve fantasy violence as opposed to real world violence. Deadpool for example. I'm more surprised they made Carnage than Deadpool... 

Look at Voltron. Sure, they have a new show to sort of piggyback on, but not everyone has Netflix nor knows of the exclusive content they offer. Plus, it's based on the 80's cartoon. SO, there's no real reason Bubble Bobble guys couldn't be done through there. 

19 hours ago, Vindicare said:

They certainly have a bit of a mystery stand when it comes to characters, although said characters involve fantasy violence as opposed to real world violence. Deadpool for example. I'm more surprised they made Carnage than Deadpool... 

You do realize they did make a Deadpool mini-figure. He came in a helicopter set with Wolverine and Magneto. 

On 27/07/2017 at 3:40 PM, anothergol said:

I didn't know they had already made Deadpool. And that was in 2012? Weird..  How has this not changed their vision since then? I can't imagine much worse than Deadpool as for "kids safety". Deadpool ok, Barney/Moe not ok... well.. The SImpsons is rather kids friendly, I mean, it's not South Park..

Thought many representation of Deadpool are inappropriate for Lego's target demographic there are child friendly depictions of the character such as the version that appeared in ultimate spider-man.The same is not true for the aforementioned unreleased Simpsons characters.(no one off episodes don't count)

Edited by AgentKallus of Hydra

Even if for some weird reason, for you The Simpsons isn't PG-rated, it still makes no sense to release only part of the characters. You don't cover the eyes of your child whenever Moe or Barney appears in the show. Either your child watches it, or he doesn't. So either Lego does it, or doesn't. Pretending that those characters don't exist was just a lame move. I guess we should be happy that Bart was even featured, then.