freiform

[MOC] Classic Space X-Wing Starfighter "LL 918" MK I

Hi,

below you'll find my first custom build in about 25 years. I wanted to build this iconic starfighter using only parts from the classic space repertoire up until 1987.

I especially like how the foldable foils turned out.

There is certainly room for improvement, especially when considering the engines. The nose could use some tweaking as well.

MK II is going to be a bit larger in order to accommodate a minifigure and a prototype is sitting on my desk. Unfortunately the folding mechanism is too weak for the increased wingspan, so I will have tinker with this a bit.

Anyway, I hope you like it.

36132252086_cdc90b4c78_b.jpg

Edited by freiform

Nice work, especially with such a limited range of parts compared to nowadays! Seems like a fun idea.

Edited by GarryTheMinifig

Welcome to Eurobricks! Very nice build. Design-wise it is definitely going into the right direction.:classic: I would give it a bit more texture though, like adding some tiles (typically with arrows printed on) and some translucent 1x1 plate pieces to increase the space-vibe. Also the front doesn't seems quite right to me... it gets too narrow too early on.

If Lego made an X Wing in 1980...

Oh, hey, welcome to Eurobricks! I really like seeing a creation box itself in this way, and I do enjoy SW/CS fusion creations like this when they come around! :thumbup:

Hey, perhaps we could have MOC contests like this, that utilize only parts made within a certain decade timeframe or period. The results might be interesting!

Thank you!

As I only have Classic Space (<1987) and Technic, I'm limited to those parts by design. There are a few UCS Sets, but I will not disturb their dutifully accumulated dust-coating.

I'll post MKII when it's done, I guess incorporating a few more details like Littleworld mentioned would indeed be a good idea.

At the moment I'm building 42043, though.  ;).

Oh my gosh!!!! This is so awesome, it's not the most detailed moc but it's SO cool how did this with such limited parts. I wanna do something like this now...thanks for the inspiration :)

Super cool! Joining classic space and Star Wars (2 of some of my favorite things is eye catching, but the limited part types really stand out while being able to maintain the classic look of the ship. Great work.