Hi,

I was working on a sequential shifter for my next, next project and, inspired by @Didumos69 his shifter I came up with a compact version of his mechanism that fits inside a 5 wide central column. Here is a short video to show it's working:

Feel free to use it if you think you can use it.

EDIT: Sorry for the bad quality of the video, it was a quick shoot on a rainy afternoon:blush:

Leg godt,

Jeroen

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

Great job on making it so small!

I was able to reverse-engineer it from the video so I made an LDD file: http://bricksafe.com/files/Offroadcreations/jeroen-ottens-/Jeroen Ottens Shifter.lxf

800x514.jpg

3 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Feel free to use it if you think you can use it.

I think I will in an upcoming MOC.

EDIT: Tried to fit it in, but I can't find a sequential gearbox small enough to fit.

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

Very nice and useful implementation :thumbup:! And the 90 degree limiter is very original too! Btw, I tend to refer to the main principle as a planetary knob wheel shifter lately, with the two knob wheels and two half pins being the core parts.

Are you looking out for a way to add a return-to-center to the shifter or is that impossible? I reckon it operates already quite pleasantly despite having to return it manually.

1 hour ago, LvdH said:

As promised: http://bricksafe.com/files/LvdH/Jeroen Ottens Shifter.lxf
Please test if they're in the correct sequence before using it though. I haven't tested it myself. I don't have the 3L driving rings anymore, and I don't have the smooth axle connectors at all.

I think your gearbox is too compact. :wink: The 12T and 20T gears prevent the "steppers" from moving, so with this setup the gearbox will remain struck.

1 hour ago, LvdH said:

Please test if they're in the correct sequence before using it though.

The only requirement is that gear 1 and 3 are on one (left/right) side  and 2 and 4 on the other. You can switch 1 and 3 by flipping the (ox)-paddle on the same side. Same for gear 2 and 4.

Edited by Didumos69

@LvdH Thanks for sharing this, however I don't think I can use it because of the small scale of my car. Thanks for the effort though! Works great, however the indicators would be weird, like 21
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              43

if you were looking at it from behind the engine.

800x600.jpg

8 hours ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

You have the .lxf file, just load it up in LDD and have a look yourself

I don't have LDD and I don't have my pc atm :/