Sign in to follow this  
Zoshi

I hate SDCC exclusives.

I spent 2 and a half hours waiting in line and all I got was a sunburn.

And I was one of the few lucky that even had a chance at getting one without paying $150+. And of course 90% of them are up on ebay now.

Sorry for the rant, I'm super salty :tongue: I hate scalpers and I hate this whole "super exclusive" nonsense.

totally agree with you, have no chance of ever getting my hands on one unless i win the lottery!

only option is to wait till china makes a copy and get that for 70p! Lego cant bloody moan about fakes when they do this sorta thing!

Some guy on ebay's selling like 10 of Vixen even though it's supposed to be limited to one per person. How greedy can you get? Like I get if it's a family all entering because they want one but this person just got them to sell them.

Ugh. I know I need to make like Elsa and let it go but this makes me so frustrated.

They should do what Hasbro does and just sell the exclusives through their online store a few weeks after the convention.

I think part of the frustration, as well, is that we rarely see these minifigures show up later.  Green Lantern might be the only exception to that.  Bizarro is, to a certain degree.

I'd love to have these figs, but won't wait in line at SDCC, and I won't pay the money.  My loss, I get it.  But I'd love to see Vixen or the Atom, or Shazam show up in an altered form down the line.  If you're a collector and you're serious, you'll want the SDCC version.  If you're not as fanatic about it, you'll be happy with a more common version.

4 hours ago, badbob001 said:

They should do what Hasbro does and just sell the exclusives through their online store a few weeks after the convention.

If they had the capability of producing enough to do that, they could probably manage to produce enough to better satisfy demand at the convention itself.

As it stands, these convention-exclusive figs generally seem to be last-minute additions to Lego's already packed production schedules. And unlike many of their competitors, the vast majority of their products are produced in factories they own and operate that run around the clock to satisfy global demand. So unless Lego can improve their production capacity and better schedule these sorts of one-off promotional releases to better satisfy demand, I don't see them expanding sales of these already limited items to a much larger marketplace.

On 7/25/2017 at 10:07 AM, Alpinemaps said:

I think part of the frustration, as well, is that we rarely see these minifigures show up later.  Green Lantern might be the only exception to that.  Bizarro is, to a certain degree.

I'd love to have these figs, but won't wait in line at SDCC, and I won't pay the money.  My loss, I get it.  But I'd love to see Vixen or the Atom, or Shazam show up in an altered form down the line.  If you're a collector and you're serious, you'll want the SDCC version.  If you're not as fanatic about it, you'll be happy with a more common version.

The only ones I'm bummed about are The Phoenix & Spider Woman. They could've very easily done the red or white version of Phoenix in favor of her most commmon appearance to be used in regular sets. 

They should just release them online as keychains. That would still make the figures exclusive.

I hate the idea of exclusives, too.  In fact, I don't really like how some minifigures are only available in the largest, most expensive sets.  People jack up the price on these as well.  And when it comes to licensed minifigures, you can't just order the parts on Bricks & Pieces.  There needs to be a better way to get minifigures.

33 minutes ago, x105Black said:

There needs to be a better way to get minifigures.

Something to keep in mind is that LEGO isn't an action figures company, it's a building blocks company. The figures are meant to be a supplement to any set and and not the sole focus. I think even TLG has lost sight of this in some lines.

54 minutes ago, Cobb said:

They should just release them online as keychains. That would still make the figures exclusive.

That would be sweet. Then I could just pull it out and replace the headgear and be on my way!

My thoughts on the whole exclusives and rare fig giveaways...

Speaking with a fellow associate years ago when I was working for TLG, it was stated that they (not quite sure who exactly) decide on who to make as an exclusive figure and in what quantities.  Their whole plan is to create a buzz about the event and their product lines.

A guy who used to shop at the store I worked at would come in right before SDCC to say hi.  He, along with his four kids, would make the trip out and grab all they could.  He would get in line with his four kids and all of them would get tickets to get the exclusive figures.  Out of all five of them, he never won any of the figs, but his kids always got the figs.  So of course, now he has four sets of the figs to sell online.  This went on for multiple years people.

SDCC already has plenty of buzz.  As for exclusives, funny that you bring that up @x105Black...So TLG knows what they are doing when they make an extremely limited run of kits/figures.  Even when it isn't a super small run like an SDCC or NYTF figure, they know it is limited.  They know how the market is in the real world; if they say they don't, then they need to quit their job now!  Yet they continue to release small amounts of certain items...and yet divisions of their company complain when people buying their product are not end-users?  Makes no sense to me.  One of the few companies I know of that tends to dislike making more money...especially now that their sales are down.

32 minutes ago, Stash2Sixx said:

A guy who used to shop at the store I worked at would come in right before SDCC to say hi.  He, along with his four kids, would make the trip out and grab all they could.  He would get in line with his four kids and all of them would get tickets to get the exclusive figures.  Out of all five of them, he never won any of the figs, but his kids always got the figs.  So of course, now he has four sets of the figs to sell online.  This went on for multiple years people.

This was something I noticed waiting in line too, kids always seemed to win the figs... Now that you mention this it seems kinda fishy. I mean it makes sense they don't want kids to be disappointed, but I doubt most parents will be letting them keep and play with a figure that's worth $150+, which makes the whole situation even sadder. And if it is indeed rigged, that's extremely shady, no matter the circumstances.

3 hours ago, Cobb said:

Maybe just give the figures a printed SDCC stand or something. Or something like they did with Yoda, have an already available character and give them an exclusive SDCC t-shirt piece or something. Then collectors have something without completely screwing over the rest of the fans of said character.

Although I have yet to be furious about the existence of an ultrarare minifig, I can understand the frustration that this scenario provides.  It does seem that most of the exclusives fall in the hands of scalpers and many people who would really appreciate owning the minifig (ie the true Lego fans) are often shut out.  The only ultrarare that ever made me nervous was the Gamestop Elrond polybag.  At the time, that was the only minifig of him, and I was not about to buy a video game just to get him.  Thankfully two other versions of him finally came out in sets, and I was happy with those.  If the printing was slightly different in a SDCC exclusive, it would probably not matter to most people, but to make it the only version of that minifig ever is kind of cruel.  Not only is it a scalper's dream, but it encourages the Chinese knockoffs as well.  

2 hours ago, Zoshi said:

This was something I noticed waiting in line too, kids always seemed to win the figs... Now that you mention this it seems kinda fishy. I mean it makes sense they don't want kids to be disappointed, but I doubt most parents will be letting them keep and play with a figure that's worth $150+, which makes the whole situation even sadder. And if it is indeed rigged, that's extremely shady, no matter the circumstances.

Maybe just give the figures a printed SDCC stand or something. Or something like they did with Yoda, have an already available character and give them an exclusive SDCC t-shirt piece or something. Then collectors have something without completely screwing over the rest of the fans of said character.

I guess if I was at SDCC and my kid won an ultrarare, I would probably offer to buy them a set they really wanted in exchange for the minifig.   Currently, my kids do not take care of toys well, including Lego, so the ultrarare would be in jeopardy in their hands (kind of like the kid who abused toys in Toy Story).  If they knew how to take care of it, then it would be a different story.  

I have yet to actually encounter a minifigure that brings out the hate in me, but I really just hate the concept.