Sign in to follow this  
stella2015

BrickFair Virginia

We have been to brick fair virginia. awesome, awesome experience. crowd can be a bit much, but otherwise it is awesome. great roc's, great people.

Seems like this is the only Brickfair VA thread open this year, so I guess I'll share my thoughts.

IMO it was a total bust this time around. Absolutely nothing in the way of vintage Lego, which was highly disappointing since that's one of the main reasons I come every year. The sets that were for sale were ludicrously overpriced, a shining example being the Viking Longship from 2005 going for a whopping $350 (It was actually $400 but was "on sale" :laugh: ). 

Even though MOCs are usually Brickfair VA's strong suit, that was not the case this year. I've gone to Brickfair every year since 2011 and this is the first year where most of the best MOCs were recycled from prior years. There were also fewer MOCs for some reason, and entire tables near the back of the expo were practically empty. All in all it was a mediocre experience but will hopefully be an anomaly, because I was happy with all six of my previous visits. 

I was actually very impressed with the number and quality of MOCs on display, especially in the Steampunk, Bionicle, and Mecha categories. A lot of the Bionicle builders whose work most impressed me were ones whose stuff I don't see so often in the communities I frequent, so it was a good opportunity to make connections.

I didn't wind up buying too much at the event, but that was mostly because I want to break the habit of buying more and more loose parts when I still haven't used a lot of the ones I've bought previous years, and also because I have a lot of new sets on my wish list I want to save my money for.

Didn't display this year but dropped by for a couple of hours on Saturday.

AC

Dropped by to look

Last day to see this

Rebel Fleet

Last Supper

Hungry

7 hours ago, ACPin said:

Didn't display this year but dropped by for a couple of hours on Saturday.

AC

I'm sorry I didn't get to see you and say hi! I tried to track you down after I saw your selfie on Flickr but I couldn't manage to find you and nobody I spoke to had seen you around. I hope you had a good time though!