Hey guys, 

Like the title says, do you have any ideas? 

Personally I do not build smaller vechicles that would use the pull back motor and I have a few now. Just wondering what other builds I could use them for.

Just now, aminnich said:

Personally I do not build smaller vechicles that would use the pull back motor and I have a few now

Hah, just did! You can use them for wind-up toys like I saw once a wind up robot here. You can also use them for auxiliary functions on a car like airfoil adjusting.

5 hours ago, aminnich said:

Hey guys, 

Like the title says, do you have any ideas? 

Personally I do not build smaller vechicles that would use the pull back motor and I have a few now. Just wondering what other builds I could use them for.

I have seen while being a referee, children using it at the FIRST LEGO League and it helped scoring more points :)

23 minutes ago, JopieK said:

I have seen while being a referee, children using it at the FIRST LEGO League and it helped scoring more points :)

Wow!

I'm looking to join the first lego FLL, which kit do you reccomend me get?

Education or Personal home?

Which is cheaper?

10 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Maybe you could use them for some kind of KERS unit like on F1 cars.

I was thinking of building something like that into my modded 42039

The gearbox for the whole thing would be complicated though, youd need to reverse the motor between "charging" and deploying the KERS unit, and make sure that after charging, when you decouple the motor from the wheels, it gets blocked, and then unblocks (and reverses) when you want to deploy it.

I've found recent pull-back motors to be useful for lots of things besides vehicles. The studded one with the built-in push-button release is too weak for most purposes, but the others are versatile, compact, high-speed power sources with lots of torque.

v This flying rotor launcher with reversible handle (http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/418125) can send the rotor shown to a height of 15 m.

1439974778m_SPLASH.jpg

v A similar design makes a great high-speed starter for LEGO tops -- e.g., at 2:21 below.

v These white non-LEGO biconic dice have lots of potential as spinning tops, but they're too slippery to spin on their poles by hand. This high-speed starter with ratchet, trigge,r and safety catch (http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/438782) turns them into long-spinning tops.

v This spoof particle accelerator (http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/430714) sends wheels flying around inside wall of the blue bowl at high speed. 

v This wind-up mug mixer (http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/439024) stirs cream into coffee very efficiently with only a few half-turns. At full power, it can empty the mug. After building it, I found out that it shouldn't be used in hot liquids you actually plan to drink, as the US Food and Drug Administration considers ABS plastic unsafe for contact with hot foods.

I made this pull-back rat (http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/429782) for my dog (part rat terrier) to chase when she was about 1 year old. It looks more like an armadillo than a rat, but she was still happy to run it down and pull the ears off.

Edited by jam8280

On 20/7/2017 at 10:27 AM, MattL600 said:

Wow!

I'm looking to join the first lego FLL, which kit do you reccomend me get?

Education or Personal home?

Which is cheaper?

Pull back motors have been explicitly banned from FLL now due to this kind of usage. This is why you saw the tall weighted towers last year - they were substituting the pull back motors.

Retail vs. Education? Easy choice: Education comes with better parts and a good box for storage. Just remember to get a rechargeable battery.

On 17/08/2017 at 8:08 PM, Lasse D said:

Pull back motors have been explicitly banned from FLL now due to this kind of usage. This is why you saw the tall weighted towers last year - they were substituting the pull back motors.

Retail vs. Education? Easy choice: Education comes with better parts and a good box for storage. Just remember to get a rechargeable battery.

Where to get it from?

There are special retailers for LEGO education sets. Here in Denmark we have "Mikroværkstedet". I'm sure you have something similar in Australia.