BrickbyBrickTechnic

[WIP] Crop Sprayer, 42054 c model [FINISHED, video soon]

You should really try to have the battery box inbetween the axles, and lower to the ground. How it is right now, I feel like your center of gravity is way too high. 

Also are you planning on having the sprayer arms LA powered or pneumatic? 

9 minutes ago, aminnich said:

You should really try to have the battery box inbetween the axles, and lower to the ground. How it is right now, I feel like your center of gravity is way too high. 

Also are you planning on having the sprayer arms LA powered or pneumatic? 

I could try that! Well this is a C model, I'm using neither.

This is a really cool build by the way. I would love to build it with you, but I don't not have the claas.... yet haha 

36 minutes ago, aminnich said:

This is a really cool build by the way. I would love to build it with you, but I don't not have the claas.... yet haha 

It's a truly awesome set. Better than the 42070 anyway :wink: I will be making instructions for this.

Really, if you want to make a true crop sprayer, make the 'c-model' one you are making now, then make a total MOC of one and compare the two.  I am sure you could make a really awesome one without the lack of some parts.  In fact, I might have to try and build something like this :classic: You really have my interest for this one!

4 hours ago, aminnich said:

Really, if you want to make a true crop sprayer, make the 'c-model' one you are making now, then make a total MOC of one and compare the two.  I am sure you could make a really awesome one without the lack of some parts.  In fact, I might have to try and build something like this :classic: You really have my interest for this one!

You just red my mind :thumbup:

Hi

Thanks for sharing your effort, I love C models and you have chosen a great set and an interesting goal

As the chasis is quite simmetric, you could swap the cabin to the other end. I'm guessing that the sprayers will be lighter than the cabin

My approach comes from my belief that the "problem" is not pure weight (vertical force to the ground) but front-topping weight (diagonal force to front, looking at the model from the side).

Alternativelly to the cabin swap, the BB force downwards can be transferred to the rear axle by placing it on liftarms that ONLY connects to the body near to the gears' area, leaving the BB "in the air" near the cabin. This may be a bit filmsy and provide some "topping" force during movement due to its balance

Let us know your progress 

8 hours ago, aminnich said:

That's a really good idea- this vehicle specifically is the most fun build I have done to date!

1 hour ago, bitbamboo said:

lternativelly to the cabin swap, the BB force downwards can be transferred to the rear axle by placing it on liftarms that ONLY connects to the body near to the gears' area, leaving the BB "in the air" near the cabin. This may be a bit filmsy and provide some "topping" force during movement due to its balance

I could definitely try that! I'll post some pics in a few hours.

This will be the last update before completion. Please give suggestions you have in the next 24-ish hours.

This is also a double update! Lots has been done.

I have 2 hood concepts. which is better? They are in the 2 pics below:

IMG_2435IMG_2443

I personally prefer the second one because the first one has too much red. Tell me which you like and I will keep that one.

There's a discreet on/off switch for the BB shown right beside the cabin:

IMG_2441

(It's the grey connector)

As well, the spraying arms are finished but look a tad crude overall. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be helpful.

IMG_2440IMG_2438

When fully extended, they are 79 studs in length, appropriately, I would say.

So that's all. Suggestions are more than welcome and certainly wanted. Thank you.

BrickbyBrickTechnic

This is crazy awesome!
I personally prefer the first hood concept because of the nice flowing lines.

For the spraying arms: maybe rotate the upper beams 90 degrees and mount em at an angle? The Pythagorean triple (5, 12, 13) might work.

I like the second hood, because the red doesn't look right on the first hood, and you will also have more beams for the spray arms.

As for the spray arms, if you try to keep the beams as close together as possible, it will look much better. I would start by joining the 7L beams together, and then join the 5L beams on the end, keeping the thickness to only 2 beams.

1 hour ago, mocbuild101 said:

I like the second hood, because the red doesn't look right on the first hood, and you will also have more beams for the spray arms.

As for the spray arms, if you try to keep the beams as close together as possible, it will look much better. I would start by joining the 7L beams together, and then join the 5L beams on the end, keeping the thickness to only 2 beams.

I think the same. I really like this model C

+1 to this, despite the red panels it looks surprisingly whole. Still, easy to remove for those, who doesn't like it much.

I am seriously impressed with the result till now, fantastic job! :thumbup: :classic:

So,

It seems like some people want 1 hood and some people want the other. So, I propose a mix of the 2 (pic below)

IMG_2444

This way it's covered up and has some nice flow.

IMG_2449

Aaaaand that brings us to the spraying arms. I decided to go with diagonal beams as @schraubedrin suggested, but I kept the beams close together as many others did suggest.

IMG_2446IMG_2448

If the hood and arms are acceptable, I will pronounce the MOC as finished and shoot the video so I can get it out on time.

Thanks to everyone for sticking along with the project.

BrickbyBrickTechnic

who am i to criticise, but i feel this is bordering on being a excellent C model, if only for the small visual let down of no gap behind the cabin and the lack of height of  the rear panel area which should be close to the roof line of cabin.

otherwise I look forward to the video!

12 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

If the hood and arms are acceptable, I will pronounce the MOC as finished and shoot the video so I can get it out on time.

I think it's great, and I don't think there is anything that need improving - at least until you start on the non C-model!