Jim

[MOD] 42070 - 6x6 All Terrain Tow Truck - Mods and Improvements

It's not often that I start a MOD topic, but there's a first time for everything :laugh:

Left original and on the right a mod with half bushes, to prevent the outriggers from touching the panels.

35147015534_d65fd47efd_n.jpg 35176598983_fa5a298b78_n.jpg

Just now, Jim said:

It's not often that I start a MOD topic, but there's a first time for everything :laugh:

But you are a MODerator :wink:

Think best mod for this set would be to put some real live axle suspension and an XL motor for each axle along with servo for steering the front and possibly rear most axle. And something to increase clearance under outriggers.

Just now, Zero (Zblj) said:

But you are a MODerator :wink:

Think best mod for this set would be to put some real live axle suspension and an XL motor for each axle along with servo for steering the front and possibly rear most axle. And something to increase clearance under outriggers.

Hehe technically that Milan now :laugh:

The Outriggers can only be moved 1L up, otherwise they won't hit the ground when fully extended. 
(or you need to change some more)

Just now, Jim said:

Hehe technically that Milan now :laugh:

The Outriggers can only be moved 1L up, otherwise they won't hit the ground when fully extended. 
(or you need to change some more)

I say double stage outriggers than :wink:

Edited by Zero (Zblj)

Scrap the entire chassis , put at least 1 XL motor per wheel ,V12 under the hood,  the boom from 42009 on the rear and you have a beautiful overkill tow truck :devil_laugh: And PP tires to make it look cool :classic:

Edited by LXF

23 minutes ago, LXF said:

Scrap the entire chassis , put at least 1 XL motor per wheel ,V12 under the hood,  the boom from 42009 on the rear and you have a beautiful overkill tow truck :devil_laugh: And PP tires to make it look cool :classic:

That sounds like pimp my 42070 :laugh:

48 minutes ago, LXF said:

We could definitely use that V12.

1 hour ago, LXF said:

But we have to price it at $1000 for no reason... :tongue:

10 hours ago, LXF said:

Scrap the entire chassis

The chassis sure is in need of some improvements. You could say, the chassis ends where the rear axles start. My fingers are itching, but I'm not buying...

12 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

I say double stage outriggers than :wink:

Yes!! That would be great.

Rebuilding the chassis to accomodate several motors and some soft springs would be a nice challenge. Create a proper bed, make the crane more robust. I think lots of people will be downloading the instructions, instead of buying the set.

Didumos69 for example :laugh:

Just now, Didumos69 said:

The chassis sure is in need of some improvements. You could say, the chassis ends where the rear axles start. My fingers are itching, but I'm not buying...

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

I think lots of people will be downloading the instructions, instead of buying the set.

Haha, you're quite right, I was already looking out for them, but they're not online yet.

Would it be feasible to add suspension to the front wheels as well? 

This is probably the set requiring the most mods to be playable efficiently since 42008 tow truck. I look forward to seeing many proposals that will focus on an offroad chassis and get rid of all the crane parts and weight.

I imagine the front suspension could be employed from Unimog or Crawler without too much difficulty and the Arocs solution to the rear.

33 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

I imagine the front suspension could be employed from Unimog...

Unimog like suspension sounds like a plan. 

38 minutes ago, nguyengiangoc said:

But that means the XL motor would have to be relocated

And duplicated :classic:

The chassis needs a complete overhaul.

7 minutes ago, Jim said:

And duplicated :classic:

The chassis needs a complete overhaul.

The line between modifying and MOCing will be very fine with this set.   Overhauling something will require a lot more "my own creating" than modifying what TLG did with the set.  For this reason, I think this thread will be really interesting if we get some of our more seasoned builders trying to improve it.  Rarely do I subscribe for notifications on a thread, but I think I will subscribe to this one.  Problem is.... people actually have to buy the set to improve it.....:laugh::laugh:

Just now, nerdsforprez said:

Problem is.... people actually have to buy the set to improve it.....:laugh::laugh:

No you don't :wink:

Just download the instructions and build it with your own parts. Then MOD is. Or MOC it :laugh:

4 hours ago, Jim said:

Yes!! That would be great.

Rebuilding the chassis to accomodate several motors and some soft springs would be a nice challenge. Create a proper bed, make the crane more robust. I think lots of people will be downloading the instructions, instead of buying the set.

If you keep the pendular, I found a spring idea for that. I can upload in a bit.

Just now, Chase Rosipayla said:

Hey Jim, where is the lego 42069 review?

Hey chase, I do have a day job you know :laugh:
(just finished the build, so I still have a lot of ground to cover)

3 hours ago, Jim said:

No you don't :wink:

Just download the instructions and build it with your own parts. Then MOD is. Or MOC it :laugh:

Any idea where to get the instructions? I think on the official Lego instructions page they will be released on fist of August, while none of the new 2H sets is available.

4 minutes ago, MegaRoi said:

Any idea where to get the instructions? I think on the official Lego instructions page they will be released on fist of August, while none of the new 2H sets is available.

It indeed is not a matter of where but when. Be patient, they will be available on the official LEGO site soon (I reckon).

Hi Jim, do you think the track width could be any narrower without the wheels bumping into the chassis or the bodywork?