Jim

[MOD] 42070 - 6x6 All Terrain Tow Truck - Mods and Improvements

43 posts in this topic

It's not often that I start a MOD topic, but there's a first time for everything :laugh:

Left original and on the right a mod with half bushes, to prevent the outriggers from touching the panels.

 35147015534_d65fd47efd_n.jpg 35176598983_fa5a298b78_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jim said:

It's not often that I start a MOD topic, but there's a first time for everything :laugh:

But you are a MODerator :wink:

Think best mod for this set would be to put some real live axle suspension and an XL motor for each axle along with servo for steering the front and possibly rear most axle. And something to increase clearance under outriggers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zero (Zblj) said:

But you are a MODerator :wink:

Think best mod for this set would be to put some real live axle suspension and an XL motor for each axle along with servo for steering the front and possibly rear most axle. And something to increase clearance under outriggers.

Hehe technically that Milan now :laugh:

The Outriggers can only be moved 1L up, otherwise they won't hit the ground when fully extended. 
(or you need to change some more)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just now, Jim said:

Hehe technically that Milan now :laugh:

The Outriggers can only be moved 1L up, otherwise they won't hit the ground when fully extended. 
(or you need to change some more)

I say double stage outriggers than :wink:

Edited by Zero (Zblj)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Scrap the entire chassis , put at least 1 XL motor per wheel ,V12 under the hood,  the boom from 42009 on the rear and you have a beautiful overkill tow truck :devil_laugh: And PP tires to make it look cool :classic:

Edited by LXF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LXF said:

Scrap the entire chassis , put at least 1 XL motor per wheel ,V12 under the hood,  the boom from 42009 on the rear and you have a beautiful overkill tow truck :devil_laugh: And PP tires to make it look cool :classic:

That sounds like pimp my 42070 :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, LXF said:

Scrap the entire chassis , put at least 1 XL motor per wheel ,V12 under the hood,  the boom from 42009 on the rear and you have a beautiful overkill tow truck :devil_laugh: And PP tires to make it look cool :classic:

We could definitely use that V12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LXF said:

Scrap the entire chassis , put at least 1 XL motor per wheel ,V12 under the hood,  the boom from 42009 on the rear and you have a beautiful overkill tow truck :devil_laugh: And PP tires to make it look cool :classic:

But we have to price it at $1000 for no reason... :tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LXF said:

Scrap the entire chassis

The chassis sure is in need of some improvements. You could say, the chassis ends where the rear axles start. My fingers are itching, but I'm not buying...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

I say double stage outriggers than :wink:

Yes!! That would be great.

Rebuilding the chassis to accomodate several motors and some soft springs would be a nice challenge. Create a proper bed, make the crane more robust. I think lots of people will be downloading the instructions, instead of buying the set.

Didumos69 for example :laugh:

Just now, Didumos69 said:

The chassis sure is in need of some improvements. You could say, the chassis ends where the rear axles start. My fingers are itching, but I'm not buying...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jim said:

I think lots of people will be downloading the instructions, instead of buying the set.

Didumos69 for example :laugh:

Haha, you're quite right, I was already looking out for them, but they're not online yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be feasible to add suspension to the front wheels as well? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is probably the set requiring the most mods to be playable efficiently since 42008 tow truck. I look forward to seeing many proposals that will focus on an offroad chassis and get rid of all the crane parts and weight.

I imagine the front suspension could be employed from Unimog or Crawler without too much difficulty and the Arocs solution to the rear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

I imagine the front suspension could be employed from Unimog...

Unimog like suspension sounds like a plan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, nguyengiangoc said:

But that means the XL motor would have to be relocated

And duplicated :classic:

The chassis needs a complete overhaul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jim said:

And duplicated :classic:

The chassis needs a complete overhaul.

The line between modifying and MOCing will be very fine with this set.   Overhauling something will require a lot more "my own creating" than modifying what TLG did with the set.  For this reason, I think this thread will be really interesting if we get some of our more seasoned builders trying to improve it.  Rarely do I subscribe for notifications on a thread, but I think I will subscribe to this one.  Problem is.... people actually have to buy the set to improve it.....:laugh::laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nerdsforprez said:

Problem is.... people actually have to buy the set to improve it.....:laugh::laugh:

No you don't :wink:

Just download the instructions and build it with your own parts. Then MOD is. Or MOC it :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jim said:

Yes!! That would be great.

Rebuilding the chassis to accomodate several motors and some soft springs would be a nice challenge. Create a proper bed, make the crane more robust. I think lots of people will be downloading the instructions, instead of buying the set.

Didumos69 for example :laugh:

If you keep the pendular, I found a spring idea for that. I can upload in a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chase Rosipayla said:

Hey Jim, where is the lego 42069 review?

Hey chase, I do have a day job you know :laugh:
(just finished the build, so I still have a lot of ground to cover)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jim said:

No you don't :wink:

Just download the instructions and build it with your own parts. Then MOD is. Or MOC it :laugh:

Any idea where to get the instructions? I think on the official Lego instructions page they will be released on fist of August, while none of the new 2H sets is available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MegaRoi said:

Any idea where to get the instructions? I think on the official Lego instructions page they will be released on fist of August, while none of the new 2H sets is available.

It indeed is not a matter of where but when. Be patient, they will be available on the official LEGO site soon (I reckon).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jim, do you think the track width could be any narrower without the wheels bumping into the chassis or the bodywork?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.