legoMoccer

World Of Warcraft licence

hi i know mega bloks used to mkae WoW sets but i've seen rumors they were discontinued a while back, do you think lego would be able to get the licence and make sets from it?

Having a new classic fantasy related-theme would certainly make a lot of people here happy, including me. But I don't think Lego is going to get the WoW-license, for several reasons:

1) WoW is likely going to be a quite costly license and with the LotR-theme falling quite short of its expectations, I doubt they are going to venture in that direction anytime soon. At least not based on a foreign IP.

2) WoW isn't really the hot stuff anymore. It's been around for quite some years now and other game franchises are more popular. Especially for kids. The sets would after all be marketed for kids since they are the bigger target audience.

3) I don't think TLG would jump on a license a direct competitor just dropped. I think Lego wants to be unique.

4) The recent WoW-film did fall short of its Box Office expectations and is now too far in the past to be relevant for a tie-in Lego theme. (I know, the Star Wars theme did very well without any movies, but that franchise is a different story. It seems to be an "evergreen" really)

On 7/17/2017 at 2:54 PM, Littleworlds said:

Having a new classic fantasy related-theme would certainly make a lot of people here happy, including me. But I don't think Lego is going to get the WoW-license, for several reasons:

1) WoW is likely going to be a quite costly license and with the LotR-theme falling quite short of its expectations, I doubt they are going to venture in that direction anytime soon. At least not based on a foreign IP.

2) WoW isn't really the hot stuff anymore. It's been around for quite some years now and other game franchises are more popular. Especially for kids. The sets would after all be marketed for kids since they are the bigger target audience.

3) I don't think TLG would jump on a license a direct competitor just dropped. I think Lego wants to be unique.

4) The recent WoW-film did fall short of its Box Office expectations and is now too far in the past to be relevant for a tie-in Lego theme. (I know, the Star Wars theme did very well without any movies, but that franchise is a different story. It seems to be an "evergreen" really)

ah yeah, its a shame i think it would allow for some really awesome new pieces, i do hope they get a new fantasy theme, id love them to get the elder scrolls licence but thats too old age wise right? if not i'll do a project for lego ideas

1 hour ago, legoMoccer said:

ah yeah, its a shame i think it would allow for some really awesome new pieces, i do hope they get a new fantasy theme, id love them to get the elder scrolls licence but thats too old age wise right? if not i'll do a project for lego ideas

I would love to see a TES-theme! :classic: It's maybe a bit adult, but so are the DC and Marvel licenses as well (sort of). I'm sceptic though. Actually I would be over the moon if they would simply do a classic-castle-fantasy-theme. I'm sure the rest we can handle with customizing Minifigs and builds:wink:

P.S. I think the topic is in the wrong forum. Just noticed its in the "community"-section^^

Edited by Littleworlds

On 7/17/2017 at 9:54 AM, Littleworlds said:

Actually that's not true. Character Building had the Scooby Doo license before Lego. I almost bought some sets because my kids liked Scooby Doo but I knew they wouldn't like the figures. Glad Lego got the license afterward.

Did they also do that with Marvel? They got rid of the Spider-man license, Megablocks had it for a while, and then Marvel went back to Lego. Actually now that I think about it Megablocks also had Pirates of the Caribbean at one point I believe.

26 minutes ago, Littleworlds said:

I would love to see a TES-theme! :classic: It's maybe a bit adult, but so are the DC and Marvel licenses as well (sort of). I'm sceptic though. Actually I would be over the moon if they would simply do a classic-castle-fantasy-theme. I'm sure the rest we can handle with customizing Minifigs and builds:wink:

P.S. I think the topic is in the wrong forum. Just noticed its in the "community"-section^^

what i may do is build a fantasy ideas project "based" on TES see how it goes, what kind of things would you want to see in said built, you meaning you and what do you think the community would want

Edited by legoMoccer

6 minutes ago, dulsi said:

Actually that's not true. Character Building had the Scooby Doo license before Lego. I almost bought some sets because my kids liked Scooby Doo but I knew they wouldn't like the figures. Glad Lego got the license afterward.

Did they also do that with Marvel? They got rid of the Spider-man license, Megablocks had it for a while, and then Marvel went back to Lego. Actually now that I think about it Megablocks also had Pirates of the Caribbean at one point I believe.

Ah, I had no idea about those! Interesting!

On 17-7-2017 at 3:10 PM, legoMoccer said:

hi i know mega bloks used to mkae WoW sets but i've seen rumors they were discontinued a while back, do you think lego would be able to get the licence and make sets from it?

Hi. Can you please make sentences with proper punctiation and capitals. Your posts are very hard to read this way. Thanks!!

10 hours ago, dulsi said:

Character Building also did Doctor Who long before LEGO ... and they did quite a bit more of the history of it too.

105849a.jpg.jpg

51IbaT9WQKL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Edited by MAB

3 hours ago, MAB said:

Character Building also did Doctor Who long before LEGO ... and they did quite a bit more of the history of it too.

never realized how many of the lego licences used to belong to someone else, something that is noteworthy to my original post is that these Dr Who figures were discontinued and then a lego ideas project brought them to lego, so its not to far fetched to think the same could be done with others

Edited by legoMoccer
Removed image from quote

On 19/07/2017 at 1:15 PM, legoMoccer said:

never realized how many of the lego licences used to belong to someone else, something that is noteworthy to my original post is that these Dr Who figures were discontinued and then a lego ideas project brought them to lego, so its not to far fetched to think the same could be done with others

Actually they weren't discontinued at the time. LEGO pulled a number of Doctor Who projects from Ideas and the rumour was that this was because CB had the license at the time (of course, LEGO never stated the reason). Then they announced that Doctor Who ideas were allowed back again, once the CB deal had ended.

Although the CB products were for sale for quite a while afterwards in the UK. In fact, some small independent toy stores still sell them!