Sign in to follow this  
ZlatanXVIGustaf

The Western Wall of Lleidr

This is the western wall of Lleidr Castle, a ruined fortress of central Avalonia, nestled in the eaves of a forest that has slowly grown over it. A band of outlaws has made it their abode, calling themselves the Merry Men of Lleidr. No one knows the history of the castle, as all records of it have vanished, and the bandits themselves do not care. They have repaired certain parts of the castle just enough to serve as living quarters and storehouses. They did not do an especially good job of repair, though; if they had been capable of an honest day's work at a building trade, after all, they would not have become bandits.

35548118716_b0985bf3f5_z.jpgLleidr's western wall by jonatansvenning, on Flickr

35548121396_30b47fae36_z.jpgSide by jonatansvenning, on Flickr

More pics on Flickr.

This was my contribution to the winning team in the castle collaboration category for this years Summer Joust on Flickr. My teammates are @Henjin_Quilones and @The Maestro. Here is Henjins build and The Maestro's will probably pop up here in the next few days. 

Thanks for looking! All kinds of criticism is welcome. 

Looks like we might have a bit of a problem here... :grin:  Great build man, the sand green and olive built into the wall really help the weathered feel.  I'm looking really closely at that bigger tree to try to see what you've done and I can't seem to figure it out.  But whatever it was, the gnarly angles are perfect! :wink:  Great touch with the bright flowers.  I need to get me some of those light blue ones, they look so good!

The only critique I have is that the brown around the edges is a little distracting and makes the eye hesitate between the wood and the dirt, since they're both using the same color.  If you could have used dark green wedges, it might have looked better.  Just something to maybe try out on a future build.

Wish we could see more pictures of this though!  Edit: checked out the Flickr link. :thumbup:  You could always post more here though! :grin:

Edited by Kai NRG

Wow... Awesome build! :thumbup:

Though there's too much texture for my taste, and it May be a bit hard to distingiush the tower from the main part, this is all compensated by the marvellous colour-scheme and lovely lay-out. With this as a first MOC for our Guild, I can only imagine what you will be building in a year or so... :drool:

That chain holding the leaning tower is just an inspired idea.

Awesome, 

Absolutely love the colour scheme (sand green and olive green are among my faves) and the foliage is very inspirational to me, however the walls and tower look like they've blended together, due to the amount of damage/texture. 

18 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Looks like we might have a bit of a problem here... :grin:  Great build man, the sand green and olive built into the wall really help the weathered feel.  I'm looking really closely at that bigger tree to try to see what you've done and I can't seem to figure it out.  But whatever it was, the gnarly angles are perfect! :wink:  Great touch with the bright flowers.  I need to get me some of those light blue ones, they look so good!

The only critique I have is that the brown around the edges is a little distracting and makes the eye hesitate between the wood and the dirt, since they're both using the same color.  If you could have used dark green wedges, it might have looked better.  Just something to maybe try out on a future build.

Wish we could see more pictures of this though!  Edit: checked out the Flickr link. :thumbup:  You could always post more here though! :grin:

Thanks! The three big parts I used for the tree are this, this and this. The light blue flowers are indeed very nice. I have to agree on the brown edge though my bad lighting makes it look worse than it actually is. 

18 hours ago, TitusV said:

Wow... Awesome build! :thumbup:

Though there's too much texture for my taste, and it May be a bit hard to distingiush the tower from the main part, this is all compensated by the marvellous colour-scheme and lovely lay-out. With this as a first MOC for our Guild, I can only imagine what you will be building in a year or so... :drool:

Thanks Titus! The bad lighting is partially at fault here too.

14 hours ago, mccoyed said:

That chain holding the leaning tower is just an inspired idea.

Can't wait to see the outcome:sweet:

4 hours ago, arannir said:

Awesome, 

Absolutely love the colour scheme (sand green and olive green are among my faves) and the foliage is very inspirational to me, however the walls and tower look like they've blended together, due to the amount of damage/texture. 

Thank you! Sand green is definetly my favorite colour and it goes very well with light bley. I'm very happy with how the foliage turned out so i'm glad you like them. Again, the bad lighting is partially at fault. 

Looks very good. This has a wonderful blend of color and texturing, and I really like the chain holding up the slanted wall-a great detail!

Very nice, Zlatan! The texturing here is great, though almost too much. I'm sure in real life it is different, but in the pictures it is difficult to distinguish between the front wall, tower, and the back wall, due to the similarity of texture and color between them; they camouflage, if you will. That being said, it is a technically solid build, with some amazing things going on. My favorite part is the tree in the front left. Good to be on the team with you!

ahhhhh, this has to be my favourite castle build in a while, and not only because of the superb texturing but the trees are also incredible. I think you definitely won it for us, and it is definitely my favourite :classic:  Also I think as other people mentioned everything kinda blends together, which is a fault mine also suffers from. I guess these are builds that look better in real life :tongue: I really enjoyed your advise and having you in our team, hope to see you next year again.

Awesome build Zlatan! The chain holding up that tower is especially unique, and congrats on the various bloggings this build has received!

I love the use of that musket! It really makes the pole seem bent and in poor condition.

Besides the wonderful crumbling walls, and leaning tower, I'm very impressed with the landscape. The trees are all excellent, and the addition of a rotting tree trunk on the ground helps convey the forest setting :thumbup:

So many great details you have here! The crumbling wall lokks like it would fall any second! The leaing tower with chains is a excellent feature! Great work!!!

Saw this one on flickr already, it is really just awesome, has to be one of the best texturings I have seen