The South Gate of Lleidr Castle

A freebuild for Avalonia

This is the south gate of Lleidr Castle, a ruined fortress of central Avalonia, nestled in the eaves of a forest that has slowly grown over it. A band of outlaws has made it their abode, calling themselves the Merry Men of Lleidr. No one knows the history of the castle, as all records of it have vanished, and the bandits themselves do not care. They have repaired certain parts of the castle just enough to serve as living quarters and storehouses. They did not do an especially good job of repair, though; if they had been capable of an honest day's work at a building trade, after all, they would not have become bandits. 

34824900193_f1683f1c23_z.jpg

35503525331_03006e4596_c.jpg

35465894942_f0653a3ed3_c.jpg

35503527181_7beac40197_c.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................

Thanks for looking! C&C welcome. 

This was built as an entry for the Castle Collaboration category of the Summer Joust 2017, with @ZlatanXVIGustaf and @The Maestro as teammates. When they get theirs posted here in the guilds, I recommend checking them out, or else go to Flickr and look if you are impatient, since their entries are superior to mine, and are the reason our team won. Mine just ensured we did not lose...

The textures on this ruined Wall are amazing. I am in Rouen at the moment and this look a lot like the old walls that were not maintained. Beautiful archway in need of lots of repairs from these lazy bandits.

Fantastic build Henjin, especially considering the lack of time. I really like the angle on the gate, the build wouldn't be half as good if that was straight. The bend in the roof is also a very nice touch. My two critisisms would be that the reddish brown border is too thick and second, the arch-pieces on the front breaks up the continuity of the texture. I think you could have solved that by adding overlapping tiles and plates. 

Overall, a fantastic build and at the very least, you gave the other teams an honourable mention ;)

Very nice build Henjin, the super greebly texture works well, and I really like that bending tree with the dark green leaves - great piece for the trunk there!  I'm spotting all sorts of clever pieces in the wall too! :thumbup: 

Yet another amazing entry for team Lleidr! I really like how you team got different builds, yet still maintained a unique, common style in all three entries. That's something quite hard to achieve, and you succeeded very well. A deserved winner :thumbup:

My favorite part of this one is the irregular base. Got a lot of mileage out of that.

Lovely use of color and the irregular base is a nice touch. It really does have that abandoned fortress feel, though judging by your teammates builds, these outlaws are a bit less honorable than what you are used to haha. My only critique would be the lack of rock work compared to your teamates builds, but you've already stated you were pressed for time so that's a moot point. Great job regardless!

Even though you had very limited time, you still managed to pull something amazing out of the hat. The texturing is great and so is the landscaping and little details :thumbup: I love the angling of the walls and it was a blast having you on our team :sweet:

On 7/15/2017 at 2:18 PM, Muakhah said:

The textures on this ruined Wall are amazing. I am in Rouen at the moment and this look a lot like the old walls that were not maintained. Beautiful archway in need of lots of repairs from these lazy bandits.

That was the idea, to create something that was in danger of falling down at any moment. Glad you like it, as it was outside my own comfort zone for sure. 

On 7/15/2017 at 3:35 PM, ZlatanXVIGustaf said:

Fantastic build Henjin, especially considering the lack of time. I really like the angle on the gate, the build wouldn't be half as good if that was straight. The bend in the roof is also a very nice touch. My two critisisms would be that the reddish brown border is too thick and second, the arch-pieces on the front breaks up the continuity of the texture. I think you could have solved that by adding overlapping tiles and plates. 

Overall, a fantastic build and at the very least, you gave the other teams an honourable mention ;)

I agree about the reddish brown, as that should have been smaller, and also about the arches, but breaking up the smooth parts of the arches would have been more work than I was willing to take on at the moment; it was hard enough to get them somewhat stable at an angle, and then to join it all together, too. Glad you like the rest, though, and it was good to build with you, Zlatan!

On 7/15/2017 at 4:12 PM, Kai NRG said:

Very nice build Henjin, the super greebly texture works well, and I really like that bending tree with the dark green leaves - great piece for the trunk there!  I'm spotting all sorts of clever pieces in the wall too! :thumbup: 

Thanks, Kai, Groot for a tree trunk is something I always wanted to do. There are some hammers and binoculars in the wall, among other things. 

On 7/15/2017 at 4:59 PM, TitusV said:

Yet another amazing entry for team Lleidr! I really like how you team got different builds, yet still maintained a unique, common style in all three entries. That's something quite hard to achieve, and you succeeded very well. A deserved winner :thumbup:

Thanks, Titus!

On 7/15/2017 at 8:37 PM, mccoyed said:

My favorite part of this one is the irregular base. Got a lot of mileage out of that.

Thanks, glad you like the base!

On 7/18/2017 at 0:02 PM, Blufiji said:

Lovely use of color and the irregular base is a nice touch. It really does have that abandoned fortress feel, though judging by your teammates builds, these outlaws are a bit less honorable than what you are used to haha. My only critique would be the lack of rock work compared to your teamates builds, but you've already stated you were pressed for time so that's a moot point. Great job regardless!

They are certainly not noble elves, that is for sure. I did not plan for any rockwork in the build, as it was hardly essential to the common idea we were trying to capture, but I can see how some dark bley might have been nice to break up the foreground a bit, or force some shaping in the walls. Thanks, Blufiji!

On 7/21/2017 at 6:45 PM, The Maestro said:

Even though you had very limited time, you still managed to pull something amazing out of the hat. The texturing is great and so is the landscaping and little details :thumbup: I love the angling of the walls and it was a blast having you on our team :sweet:

Thanks, TM! The angle of the walls (except for the arches and that immediately above them) was done by building slopes onto a regular rectangular, on-the-stud-grid wall. I thought it turned out rather nice myself. 

On 7/22/2017 at 4:49 PM, Umbra-Manis said:

Just finished looking at the whole collab and this is another great module!

Thanks, U-M, glad you like the castle as a whole, and that this section did not disappoint!

On 7/24/2017 at 9:47 AM, Gunman said:

Wow.. Interesting texturing there man... Nice one!

Thanks, Gunman! I love your texturing, too, so I am glad you like this stuff here, too!

Great use of color in the landscape, and I love those trees :wub: The wall texture is certainly intense, and matches pretty well with your teammates. Perhaps using slightly fewer different types of parts for the texture would be more cohesive as a whole.
The dark tan path looks a little jagged in spots, with how you've arranged the wedge plates. Often laying them all in roughly the same orientation works best:

Overview-2.jpg
Still a very good build, and congratulations once again on your team's success!

On 8/2/2017 at 7:26 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Great use of color in the landscape, and I love those trees :wub: The wall texture is certainly intense, and matches pretty well with your teammates. Perhaps using slightly fewer different types of parts for the texture would be more cohesive as a whole.
The dark tan path looks a little jagged in spots, with how you've arranged the wedge plates. Often laying them all in roughly the same orientation works best:

Still a very good build, and congratulations once again on your team's success!

Thanks, SK! I could not agree more about the texture--a few less would have helped, especially with matching the teammates. I admit I looked at what they had done and then went and built something based off of my impression of them, and only afterwards realized that I did not match very well. Oh well! The path, too, does need some work, and I will keep your advice in mind for the future. 

A great moc for sure you have here! The ruined look works perfect and I like how nature have taken over some parts of the wall!

Some clever tree design aswell! :)