VBBN

Star Wars Constraction 2018 Discussion & Rumors

As per the System 2018 thread:

This thread collects everything you think you know about 2018 LEGO Star Wars sets; discuss your opinions here! Please read before posting:

• Stay on target. stayontarget.gif
  • No fighting. Yes, we actually have to post that!
  • If you choose to post fabricated information; you can expect to be banned. It's not worth the fifteen minutes of internet fame.
  • Do not post watermarked or confidential images; they will be removed and the poster will be dealt with appropriately. As stated in our Member Guidelines:

This topic is for 2018 discussion, not 2019, and not 2017.  We will make a new topic when we feel it is necessary.  If your post was on the boards, and now it's not...there is a good chance it was either hidden or moved.  Off topic posts, placing info in the wrong thread, or a request from LEGO to remove something; these are all possible reasons why something may have disappeared.

75533 Boba Fett

medium.75533.png.4a65aa53ce58fe27ea0a8f8

Price: 29,99 EUR / 29,99 USD / 25,99 GBP

Subtheme: Constraction Figures

Pieces: 144

Release: Winter 2018

75534 Darth Vader

medium.75534.png.f548356d1b227672781e099

Price: 39,99 EUR / 39,99 USD / 34,99 GBP

Pieces: 168

Release: Winter 2018

75535 Han Solo

large.40677362061_660d5a85c2_o.jpg.ac1cb

Price: 29.99 EUR / 24.99 USD / 25.99 GBP

Pieces: 101

Release: April 2018

75536 Range Trooper

large.25806421557_88996d538e_o.jpg.1afe9

Price: 29.99 EUR / 24.99 USD / 25.99 GBP

Pieces: 101

Release: April 2018

75537 Darth Maul

large.25791879777_48fc49cc6b_o.jpg.c6e0b

Price: 29.99 EUR / 29.99 USD / 25.99 GBP

Pieces: 104

Release: April 2018

This forum is already pretty dead as it is, if we rule out speculation wouldn't it be a bit too much? :sceptic:

The 2018 topic could still be useful to discuss the (rumoured) next three sets (unless we count them as 2017 sets, if they're indeed released in December as it seems). BTW, this should answer @TwistLaw's question :

1 hour ago, Sir von Lego said:

Just to add: one more constraction figure will be Darth Maul.

Episode 1 Darth Maul, I guess? I admit I would prefer cyborg!Darth Maul, even though he's far less iconic. He could bring a really interesting built (those legs!) as well as new red/dark red and silver pieces. E1 Maul would be just a Kylo Ren clone, unless they pull something out of left field like a cloth hood and/or a build featuring the Uniter torso (Leewan makes a fair point- could they make a new version of the Uniter Torso that is compatible with the SW torso shell?).

2 hours ago, BubbaFit45531 said:

I will buy Boba Fett and Ep 1 Darth Maul for sure! I'll buy the Stormtroopers if I see them dirt cheap.

I mean, I wish you luck with finding the trooper sets super cheap; if you're including the Scout Trooper in that, there may be a few challenges; that said, they're both fantastic sets.

An Ep. 1 Darth Maul would be pretty boring for us long-time constraction fans, but if you're pretty new to the system you may find it intriguing. Maul as a set isn't a bad premise, that's for sure.

Alright after a couple modifications to the first post I've brought the 2018 discussion topic back into the forum- discuss away!

Not ruling out speculation. I've modified the first post to hopefully make the rules a bit more clear. 

19 hours ago, Leewan said:

The 2018 topic could still be useful to discuss the (rumoured) next three sets (unless we count them as 2017 sets, if they're indeed released in December as it seems). BTW, this should answer @TwistLaw's question :

Cool, thank you very much!
I truly hope he brings some tasty dark red pieces, but just like Shakar I fear he might be a Kylo Ren 2.0. The one from the CN series would have been way cooler, but I guess they need to sell characters as recognizable as possible...?

We don't have Darth Maul's set number, but it's probably going to be 75535. Within a wave, the highest set numbers are usually the most expensive sets. If Darth Maul is the most expensive set, could it be because, like 75532, it's a "vehicle set" ? Darth Maul has (had ?) a small speeder that would be perfect if Lego wanted to do another character + vehicle set.

18 hours ago, Leewan said:

We don't have Darth Maul's set number, but it's probably going to be 75535. Within a wave, the highest set numbers are usually the most expensive sets. If Darth Maul is the most expensive set, could it be because, like 75532, it's a "vehicle set" ? Darth Maul has (had ?) a small speeder that would be perfect if Lego wanted to do another character + vehicle set.

That is unless they pull a wave similar to the two Rogue One waves where it was just two waves of 3 figures all at the same pricepoint, which I feel is more likely since I can't see there being a huge draw to his bike, or at least not on the same level as the speeder bike. Now if they made a battle Droid and gave them a STAP, that I'd be all over.

If they were trying to go for  a higher pricepoint, they could go with Maul's Clone Wars animated appearance (more than likely the Grevious-style legs rather than the spider legs but I can dream) which would bump the cost up and would actually make a bit more sense, because then he would have Clone Wars Obi-Wan as a nemesis- right now, Maul will be alone with no other Phantom Menace wavemates. 

I'm still all hyped for Boba Fett.

Darth Vader 2.0 is something I'm entirely unsure about, as I'm very happy with the first rendition I already own.

Darth Maul isn't really interesting to me, but I'm nonetheless curious about the parts he comes with.

I would really like it to be CW Darth Maul, a TPM Maul wouldn't make much sense in the line-up but I think that's what it's going to be anyway. Since the SW Ultrabuild project was launched on cuusoo in 2012, I have been wanting a chicken-leg Maul, because the system works really well for limbs that have more than one knee. It would be a pretty interesting build, while TPM Maul would be pretty standard and the only red part would be Maul's printed head.

Do you think a CW Maul should come with red or dark red parts? I don't know what would be more accurate. Regular red works pretty well on his minifigure, but dark red is more interesting for MOC'ers.

Edited by JekPorkchops

I'm not sure. Looking at regular red on my desk here, I think it looks a bit too light, but dark red might be too dark as well.

But regular red is probably the closest to Maul's skin and I suppose it'll be that.

...unless they follow the Technic color palette route and introduce a new shade of red for Maul, something in between Red and Dark Red, maybe... I don't know, Ketchup Red? Lol :laugh:

On 17/07/2017 at 3:07 PM, VBBN said:

I can't see there being a huge draw to his bike, or at least not on the same level as the speeder bike.

If it's TPM Maul, I think his bike would help make his set more interesting. As others mentioned, TPM Maul alone would be terribly boring. A cyborg Maul could be cool.

26 minutes ago, Error404 said:

...unless they follow the Technic color palette route and introduce a new shade of red for Maul, something in between Red and Dark Red, maybe... I don't know, Ketchup Red? Lol :laugh:

There's one difference, though : the different shades of blue that seem to bother many Technic fans already existed before they were added to the Technic range. It's not because it's new to a system that it's completely new. :wink:

If they'll go with TPM Maul, the only red part would be his head. So if they print regular red very lightly onto the black piece, it'll probably look a little darker because of the plastic base colour, making it both darker than regular red but lighter than dark red. It wouldn't need a new shade of red for its shells because of the black robes. But anyway, this isn't too convenient for when they later decide to make a shirtless Maul. They should really choose one of their existing colors.

11 hours ago, Leewan said:

There's one difference, though : the different shades of blue that seem to bother many Technic fans already existed before they were added to the Technic range. It's not because it's new to a system that it's completely new. :wink:

Well, new, new to constraction, new to Technic, you name it.
Is there any shades of red used in other themes beyond Red and Dark Red, btw? I don't recall seeing any (solid colors, excluding Trans-Red).

Anyway, when I look at red parts on e.g. the Red Hulk big fig I have on a shelf above my desk, I don't think it looks too bright unless it's close to a lamp.

5 hours ago, Error404 said:

Is there any shades of red used in other themes beyond Red and Dark Red, btw?

No, which was my point : if they want to add a new shade of red to the Constraction colour palette, they would have to create it, because there is only red (or bright red) and dark red, in every themes. It's not only about Technic, or Constraction, or System, but about the Lego colour palette as a whole.

Anyway, I think Maul will have red rather than dark red. 

13 hours ago, JekPorkchops said:

If they'll go with TPM Maul, the only red part would be his head. So if they print regular red very lightly onto the black piece, it'll probably look a little darker because of the plastic base colour, making it both darker than regular red but lighter than dark red. It wouldn't need a new shade of red for its shells because of the black robes. But anyway, this isn't too convenient for when they later decide to make a shirtless Maul. They should really choose one of their existing colors.

Maul has a predominantly red face with smaller amounts of a black design, so I would assume they will go with a red piece with black printing as that seems easier than the opposite.

Personally I think

18 hours ago, Leewan said:

If it's TPM Maul, I think his bike would help make his set more interesting. As others mentioned, TPM Maul alone would be terribly boring. A cyborg Maul could be cool.

That's true, though I wouldn't put it past Lego to give us a terribly boring Maul, It's what I'm expecting at the moment. I think the bike could work in an opposite effect though too- I'd like a Maul figure, but I never at all liked the design of his bike and having a inflated price due to the extra cost due to the bike could be a turnoff. It could end up being great for parts, but at the extra license cost of a SW set

1 hour ago, VBBN said:

Maul has a predominantly red face with smaller amounts of a black design, so I would assume they will go with a red piece with black printing as that seems easier than the opposite.

The minifigure versions have always used black with red printing, which could suggest that they'd do the same with a Constraction version.

The minifig design is correct, and the constraction figure should follow suit. VBBN is right about the face being mostly red, but almost the entirety of the head is black. It would only need red printing for the face and the top of his head.

4 hours ago, VBBN said:

That's true, though I wouldn't put it past Lego to give us a terribly boring Maul, It's what I'm expecting at the moment.

We should all expect that, that way we won't be disappointed if that happens. :laugh:

46 minutes ago, JekPorkchops said:

VBBN is right about the face being mostly red, but almost the entirety of the head is black. It would only need red printing for the face and the top of his head.

Who said the head had to be a single piece ? It could be made of three parts : a black one for the back of his head (plus the ballcup), a red one for his face (with some black printing on it), and a tan one for his horns (made of a softer plastic ?), which would be "struck" between the red and the black parts.

40 minutes ago, Leewan said:

We should all expect that, that way we won't be disappointed if that happens. :laugh:

Who said the head had to be a single piece ? It could be made of three parts : a black one for the back of his head (plus the ballcup), a red one for his face (with some black printing on it), and a tan one for his horns (made of a softer plastic ?), which would be "struck" between the red and the black parts.

That could be possible, though I think doing it as two or fewer plastic colors would still be easier and cheaper. And as mentioned earlier, bright red printing on black might better capture the red color on Maul than either bright red or dark red plastic.

On 7/20/2017 at 0:50 PM, Leewan said:

Interesting idea, would really like to see something like this.

Really hope it's CW Maul we're getting! TPM Maul would just give us boring old black legs; we've had countless of those already. Hopefully we'll get something in silver!

From the (System) SW 2018 topic :

5 hours ago, Sir von Lego said:

No, [Darth Maul] will be 75537.

75535 and 75536 will be for then HS movie.

For obvious reasons, I don't think any of them will be Chewbacca, so my guesses are on Han Solo and Lando Calrissian.