aukevin

Custom Black Pearl

I built Brickstruct.com's custom Black Pearl recently and wanted to share the result with you in case any of you were wondering how it turns out.  The build was pretty good, a bit unstable at some points but in the end it all came together very nicely and it is one of my favorite sets.  The build is definitely worth the purchase of the custom instructions and bricks.  I reused a lot of the bricks from the official Black Pearl set, but this set is over twice the number of bricks.  Having a top deck is really nice.  It isn't the easiest to get to the bottom deck, this is mostly a display set I feel.  So I put some plates down on the bottom deck to hold the cannons in place.  There is also a little cell on the bottom deck that I put a skeleton in.  It's not really pictured, but there is a skylight that shows down into the captain's quarters.  Anyway, here are some pics, hope you enjoy!

Here's the full ship.  I think one of my favorite things are all the cannons the ship holds:

pearl1

I added a plank and some top deck cannons to the build:

pearl2

I put together a few custom minifigures to go with the official ones to round out Jack and Barbossa's crew:

pearl3pearl6

A couple more pics of the ship:

pearl4pearl5

I displayed it in a sea of about 6000 trans-blue single round studs.  I sure hope it never falls off the shelf!  One last pic of Jack stranded on his island with just his compass, a pistol, and some rum.

pearl7

@aukevin  Nice work!  I split this post into its own topic.  I think it would generate more responses and Feature the topic.  :thumbup: 
This version looks A LOT more like the ship and the vessel shown in the Lego POTC game.

Does this build use only 3 midsections like the original set?  I'm currently working on a version of the Lego POTC Black Pearl which uses 5 midsections.

Looks great!  I started my own Black Pearl a while ago and I know how hard it can be to get the shape of that back stern to look convincing. You did a great job there. Love Jack on the beach. Great work with that! where does the hair for the girl with the gun come from? I want that for myself!

Fantastic ship. :wub: It looks much better to my eyes than the official set. And you did manage to get a lot of guns onboard. Also, good job with the base, which adds a lot to the overall presentation. :thumbup:

@RocketSeason that hat/hair combo piece came with the lady pirate in 70411 Pirate's Treasure Island from 2015.

I love what you did with the Black Pearl, and I recognize the torso on one of those Custom Pirates!!! The light blue one is exclusive to LEGO Stores, I believe from 2015, and included an anthology booklet featuring every LEGO Pirate set manufactured! Great find. :D

I need to get my hands on a Pearl someday and see what I can do with it.

On 7/14/2017 at 0:32 PM, Phred said:

@aukevin  Nice work!  I split this post into its own topic.  I think it would generate more responses and Feature the topic.  :thumbup: 
This version looks A LOT more like the ship and the vessel shown in the Lego POTC game.

Does this build use only 3 midsections like the original set?  I'm currently working on a version of the Lego POTC Black Pearl which uses 5 midsections.

Thanks!  No this one uses 4 midsection pieces to make it a little longer which I really liked, more room to add cannons!  The designer of this MOC pattered his design off of the Lego game as well which turned out great!

On 7/14/2017 at 1:35 PM, RocketSeason said:

Looks great!  I started my own Black Pearl a while ago and I know how hard it can be to get the shape of that back stern to look convincing. You did a great job there. Love Jack on the beach. Great work with that! where does the hair for the girl with the gun come from? I want that for myself!

I'm glad CaptainDee could answer your question.  I just scoured bricklink for things and came across that.  The head is Barbara Gordon from the Lego Batman Movie and the torso is Han Solo in carbonite, I just painted the light flesh to match Annamaria's skin tone.

Stunning! I love this black pearl better than the lego set one that I have! :pir-laugh: You REALLY need to give me lessons on how to build custom ships. I'm really bad with building ships. I can't even do a longboat. :pir-sceptic:

Check out the rest of the site, Mjazzw7.  There are tutorials galore on how to make everything from the hulls to the rigging.

6 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

Check out the rest of the site, Mjazzw7.  There are tutorials galore on how to make everything from the hulls to the rigging.

Thanks a lot Cousarmy0001! I'll look around the site!

Hi! I have the same instructions from BrickStruct! I just need the pieces. Do you happen to sell the pieces? If so, I am willing to pay up to 450$  for the whole thing itself! Please reply soon!

2 hours ago, CObricks said:

Hi! I have the same instructions from BrickStruct! I just need the pieces. Do you happen to sell the pieces? If so, I am willing to pay up to 450$  for the whole thing itself! Please reply soon!

Welcome aboard mate! I see that this is your first and only post. There is a place for conversations of this sort, where you may find better luck, the Buy, Sell, Trade forum (BST), check it out. While you're taking a tour of the site, you might as well brush up on the Site Guidelines; never hurts :thumbup:. Also, are you aware of sites like bricklink.com or brickowl.com, where you can buy specific bricks in specific quantities? You can even take that parts list and make it a wanted list so the site can find the best store(s) for you. One more thing, you'll find it's in good form, and likely to generate more cooperation (and garner less attention from the staff) if you make some sort of introduction for yourself. You could share some of your own MOCs or tell us all a little about your self here.

Cheers!

On 9/4/2017 at 5:15 PM, Captain Pirate Man said:

I've started this designer's Flying Dutchman. I plan on doing this one next. How much extra is the cost, if you already have the official black pearl as a base? Ball park.

Hi there, sorry I didn't reply way back when you made this post.  I lost track of where the post was lol!  Forgot about it being in the MOC subforum!

It's been a while, but I would estimate I put another $200 into it on top of the official LEGO Black Pearl set.  It didn't reuse as much of the original as I expected other than the sails, mast, hull.