Sign in to follow this  
a213jf

Apollo Saturn V Mobile Launch Tower Crawler

Hello all,

I've been so excited for the release of LEGO's Saturn V Rocket that I have been slowly designing and constructing the mobile launch tower and crawler to create a more complete display look! I will admit, throughout the process I came across other folks creations (Eiffleman, Valerie Roche and Emmanuel Urquieta)  and borrowed some of their designs/ideas to improve and implement into my creation. It does not have the cool playability features as theirs do!

35919161605_a8b198e077_b.jpgIMG_20170709_130956846 by Anthony Foss, on Flickr

The crawler is built off the pictures sent into Lego Ideas by Eiffleman. I had to reinforce the crawler to support the weight of the tower. The crawler essentially collapsed under the pressure of the tower and rocket positioned on top the first go around :)

The tower is a relatively easy build. Each of the levels is essentially the same. For the white piping running up the front side of the tower I used a flexible rubber hose, similar in diameter to the rigid pneumatic tubing LEGO uses (saved a little bit of money).

Stability becomes and issue the higher you build. It works but not as sturdy as I would like. A solid base is a must. The catwalks are a lot of torque on the tower than it seems. I went through a few designs before I got one that doesn't sag.

It was nice to see one of these in person instead of a LDD image.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm4uqqFD

Edited by a213jf