Here's a vehicle that I believe has never been done in Technic before: An airport catering truck.

This MOC intends to combine pneumatic and power functions. Here are the functions I have planned:

-4 outriggers (PF)

-Drive (PF) 

-Lifting the container (Pneumatic)

-Opening front door (Pneumatic)

-Opening rear door (Pneumatic)

-Suspension, steering, fake engine

Here's what I have so far:

IMG_2276IMG_2277IMG_2280IMG_2278

BTW, it is (loosely) based on this real truck:

Iberswiss_-_Camión_de_catering_-_Catering_truck_-_LEMD_-_20050507

Leave some comments please! I need suggestions for battery box placement and gearbox reinforcement.

Thanks!

BrickbyBrickTechnic

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

I see some solutions inspired by arocs, but very nice effort and it is always good refreshment when you see unusual model. :grin:

@Paknaloid battery could fit there but it had to be rotated to 90 degrees and then it would not be shaped like in truck image...but good thinking :thumbup:

47 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

@Paknaloid battery could fit there but it had to be rotated to 90 degrees and then it would not be shaped like in truck image...but good thinking

I actually do have an idea regarding this, as you will see tomorrow. @Paknaloid good suggestion :)

20 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I actually do have an idea regarding this, as you will see tomorrow. @Paknaloid good suggestion :)

Well "see" you tomorrow :grin:, but it could turn out interesting project....

28 minutes ago, Paknaloid said:

I suppose also if your build works out, it wouldn't be a huge stretch to use similar chassis to make a US style front loading garbage truck, something like

I really like Technic MOCs of utilitarian everyday vehicles, they are a nice balance to all the amazing supercars that are built

Completely agree on both comments

6 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Here's a vehicle that I believe has never been done in Technic before: An airport catering truck.

Well... It has done actually, B model of 8109 set, an "Airport Catering Truck" :wink:  But it significantly differs from your project - an Americal-style longnose cabin and just a flat platform, with no any apparels for unloading form the from side, so I'm looking forward to see how your project goes. It looks very promising :thumbup:

4 hours ago, I_Igor said:

I see some solutions inspired by arocs

The axles are inspired by the 42043.

2 hours ago, Void_S said:

Well... It has done actually, B model of 8109 set, an "Airport Catering Truck"

Ah yes, the 8109 b model... suffered from a condition called "severe lack of functions" ;)

3 hours ago, Paknaloid said:

it wouldn't be a huge stretch to use similar chassis to make a US style front loading garbage truck

That's a good idea... you got the gear inside my head to start turning :)

Update time!

Progress has been made! The cabin and some fenders are added and the position of the motor is changed.

I have some questions for whoever's reading this...

-After looking at the pictures, is the cabin too small?

-How can I cover the front bumper with 1/2 thick beams? It's not really working out.

Here are the pictures:

IMG_2312

Slide for the container:

IMG_2314IMG_2315IMG_2311

That's it for now! More progress later!

BrickbyBrickTechnic 

51 minutes ago, Paknaloid said:

Oh wow, that's looking great! :wub: I don't think I was expecting the cabin to be so attractive, especially as the real life truck is quite ugly!

my comments:

will the position of the beacon lights interfere with the front loading of the containers? Would it work with smaller beacons, or is that the HOG a la the Arocs? edit: just realised the HOG is behind the lights...

the windscreen could probably be made even taller by removing the liftarm a above the front panel, that would maybe make it look more like the real life trick, but could also make it uglier...I suppose it also depends how tall the main container body will be - as long as it isn't too massively out of proportion to the cabin it maybe won't matter 

same with cabin - if you extended it forward by one or two studs it'd maybe look more realistic but less attractive

For the front bumper, would it work if you placed a 9l while liftarm on its side, insert a few 0.5l pins, then you could attach extra lights or grilles where the 1x2 white perpendiculars are now, and a 1x5 flat white tile across the middle for the licence plate?  I can sort of picture it in my head but find it hard to describe, and can't really tell if it'd work or not...

I'll give all of these a try- thank you!

Comparing the photos to your build, I think the cab should probably be one stud taller.

This is a nicely different build, I like the way it is coming along so far. :thumbup:

Model is starting to look very good. :thumbup:

For front bumper - I do not know if there is dark bluish gray liftarm 1 x 7 thin...

3 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Comparing the photos to your build, I think the cab should probably be one stud taller.

I made it a stud taller, and longer as well. I'll post the pictures tomorrow.

23 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Model is starting to look very good. :thumbup:

For front bumper - I do not know if there is dark bluish gray liftarm 1 x 7 thin...

I figured the bumper out, but thanks for the suggestion!

21 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow I love this kind of truck ...very original idea! :wub:

I'm waiting for your final masterpiece!

Thanks alot!

UPDATE TIME!

The project is nearing completion, so if you want to add some suggestions PLEASE do that so I can implement them.

Progress:

-Chassis (Mostly) done, everything is in place

-Spot for BB found

-Cab made 1 stud longer and taller

-Container mostly finished, all functions in place

Here are the pictures!

IMG_2318IMG_2319IMG_2321IMG_2322IMG_2323IMG_2327

Unfortunately, I will have to cover the sides of the container with paper, but at least I will get to draw a nice logo :)

What do I still have to do?

-Finalise and reinforce container and chassis

-Add interior to cabin

Suggestions PLEASE! This may be your last chance as the MOC is close to done.

Thanks!

BrickbyBrickTechnic

It just looks better and better. That spot for the battery is exactly what I was thinking. Are you going to post a video of the functions when it is complete?

3 hours ago, Paknaloid said:

It just looks better and better. That spot for the battery is exactly what I was thinking. Are you going to post a video of the functions when it is complete?

Of Course! That should be coming out in a few days.

You are building this fast! One thing: Paper? Can you not add panels to the side? (Sorry, purism overload:laugh:)

Very cool model and looks very fun!

1 hour ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

You are building this fast! One thing: Paper? Can you not add panels to the side? (Sorry, purism overload:laugh:)

Very cool model and looks very fun!

I'm a purist myself but the actuators already struggle to lift the container. Panels are lots of weight, and besides I don't have enough panels. I'll draw a nice logo on the paper as well ;)

I think paper is a good idea here. (I consider myself very purist ;) ). Panels are very ugly for such large flat surfaces because of all the holes and stripes and other texture (but that's my personal taste). And paper is super lightweight. The best purist solution would be to use 8x16 tiles, but I don't think they exist in white. You could maybe also print a nice logo.

2 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I'm a purist myself but the actuators already struggle to lift the container. Panels are lots of weight, and besides I don't have enough panels. I'll draw a nice logo on the paper as well ;)

Nice progress and good solution for front bumper. :thumbup: Because of weight I try not to use pneumatic so often, but ther look more realistic that actuators and you can slip pneumatic hoses wherever you want. 

For interior seats you can use two of this parts

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=24116&idColor=85

6 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

I think paper is a good idea here. (I consider myself very purist ;) ). Panels are very ugly for such large flat surfaces because of all the holes and stripes and other texture (but that's my personal taste). And paper is super lightweight. The best purist solution would be to use 8x16 tiles, but I don't think they exist in white. You could maybe also print a nice logo.

I will be drawing the logo. You'll see, it'll look great ;)