Sign in to follow this  
Muakhah

Khadiran Barracks

With the escalation of the war with The Spire and Ravaage's forces striking at various targets Khadira went on a recruitment drive. The influx of refugees meant that there was no shortage of recruits and extra rations were offered to those willing to defend Khadira from evil.

Overshot

Khadira has plenty of troops and weapons but there is a shortage of heavy armour. In order to offset this against the heavily armored shock troops of the Spire the city has instituted a strict training regimen to ensure that the soldiers are skilled and motivated on the battlefield. With training they can work together to defeat better equipped foes. At least that is the plan.

Ranks

The barracks building on the left has a small area cleared in front of it for drilling. Low walls separate it from the rest of the city and it has its own pathways where you can see two servants pass by with ingredients for dinner.

Inspection

One of the Elite Holy Guards of Khadira has been assigned mastery of this small barracks. It will be his responsibility to ensure that the men here are fit and prepared for the fight. His Goldsteel sword and armour are likely enchanted, a mark of his elite status.

Bench

In the foreground is the bench and table so that an instructor may observe and take notes while the troops train. Behind the Holy Guardsman an Askar casts a watchful eye over the recruits. These professional soldiers invest in their own equipment, in this case lamellar armour. They are often recruited in Khadira as more heavily armored soldiers, though they still lack the full plate of an Avalonian or a Knight of Aslan. This experienced veteran will help train the recruits.

Everyone Fights, Noone Quits!

Speaking of the recruits, here they are. All are welcome to join the Khadiran Forces, though some may find themselves allocated to less glorious roles depending on their skills. At present they will train with spear and in general drill. Then perhaps in swordsmanship and the use of a shield. Those with an aptitude will practice archery. They have been given mass produced clothing of red and orange. Perhaps if Khadira can produce more armour in the future some of them may be lucky enough to wear it. At present though they will train to be light infantry and to avoid fights they cannot hope to win. They are all wearing face cloths as when they train it kicks up lots of dust in the yard.

Disdainful

Another veteran from fighting near the Nocturnan border. He carries a halberd of a style common in Khadira but the Nocturnan influence is clear to see due to the Darkiron blade and helmet. This experienced soldier has also managed to come by a light breastplate. It is clear that there is work to be done before Khadira's army can make these different elements into a truly effective fighting force.

Another build to flesh out the city of Khadira and show more of this city. I hope it gives the impression of a living breathing city. My girlfriend encouraged me to build something a little larger but I had various difficulties. I wish I was able to put a border around it. I also feel there are some bits that could have been tweaked with a little more variety and texture. The photos don't show off the multi-ethnic nature of the army very well. There is an orc and a pale sickly faced guy in the second rank. Also mixing yellows and fleshies! Suck it everyone!

I hope in the future I can make a few more bits to show the military of Khadira more. But I want to try and get some more story builds done too. Cheers all.

Another excellent addition to Khadira! As Mike pointed out, the angled wall was a great touch; I particularly like the foliage on and around it with the palm trees and vines.
The piece usage for the roof on the barracks is fantastic too, something I'll have to remember should I ever get my hands on those pieces.
And I personally think your mixing of skin tones works well here :thumbup:

What? You mixed fleshies and yellows... *Gasps :laugh: 

Though I'm no fan of mixing, I think it serves it's purpose quite well here. The whole build is actually quite nice, with the piece of roofing and the angled wall as highlights! :thumbup: 

I also really like your figures, the red/dk orange clothing works very well I think!

Very neat barracks, Muakhah!

The architecture is great for Kaliphlin, and I like that angled wall!  You added just enough vegetation with the vines, flowers, and trees to add to the Arabian feel.
Nice combinations for the troops!  I think the use of yellow and fleshies works fine for areas with mixed skin tones.

Sweet looking troop! The various skin tones work considering how multicultural Kaliphlin is, so no sucking anything here. The angled will is a nice addition, adds a bit more dimension to this small scene. 

Your photography could use some improvement. A solid white background that went behind and below the build would help a lot. Not sure what photo editing software you have access to, if any, but cropping the edges and brightening up the white background would be major improvements too.:classic:

Otherwise, I am certain the southern lands are fortunate to welcome Khadira into the fold!

Edited by MassEditor

This is a great courtyard scene! I love the way the palm trees overhang the wall in the back, giving it a very lived-in and organic feel. The angled wall and the wooden supports jutting from the walls are also nice. I am impressed by the number of those figs you have, as they make a nice little army. The uniform disguises that they are all different races and skintones, which is what a uniform is meant to do, I would argue. In the future I think I would avoid using the lime green tendril with the other plants like that, since having only one makes it stand out awkwardly. I might also suggest limiting the colors of flowers to just a few, rather than using so many reds and oranges and yellows and pinks. Overall, though, this is a great build. I love seeing and hearing more about Khadira. 

Really neat use of those large printed slopes :thumbup: The archway with roof is very nicely built, and makes the scene much more dynamic :classic:

Really cool texturing and goodness thats a load of turbans! The greenary really adds to it aswell. Cannot wait to see more :thumbup:

On 2017/7/12 at 1:48 AM, Mike S said:

Nice build! Nice architecture and I like that you angled the corner wall. :thumbup:

Thanks, I didn't want it to be too grid like.

On 2017/7/12 at 2:27 AM, LittleJohn said:

Another excellent addition to Khadira! As Mike pointed out, the angled wall was a great touch; I particularly like the foliage on and around it with the palm trees and vines.
The piece usage for the roof on the barracks is fantastic too, something I'll have to remember should I ever get my hands on those pieces.
And I personally think your mixing of skin tones works well here :thumbup:

Cheers, I was going to go another direction but didn't have the tiles to do it effectively so in desperation I slapped those old pieces on and they worked quite well. The old wall doesn't get as much maintenance as the barracks building and gate.

On 2017/7/12 at 4:05 PM, TitusV said:

What? You mixed fleshies and yellows... *Gasps :laugh: 

Though I'm no fan of mixing, I think it serves it's purpose quite well here. The whole build is actually quite nice, with the piece of roofing and the angled wall as highlights! :thumbup: 

I also really like your figures, the red/dk orange clothing works very well I think!

I have plenty more of those orange torsos so I hope to showcase a larger force at some point. I am glad it all came together well and that the multi-cultural aspect is working too.

On 2017/7/12 at 9:24 PM, Slegengr said:

Very neat barracks, Muakhah!

The architecture is great for Kaliphlin, and I like that angled wall!  You added just enough vegetation with the vines, flowers, and trees to add to the Arabian feel.
Nice combinations for the troops!  I think the use of yellow and fleshies works fine for areas with mixed skin tones.

I like a bit of vegetation as the tan and dark tan in my collection can look a bit plain otherwise. I want to create a living, vibrant city and the plants work well for that!

On 2017/7/13 at 2:40 AM, MassEditor said:

Sweet looking troop! The various skin tones work considering how multicultural Kaliphlin is, so no sucking anything here. The angled will is a nice addition, adds a bit more dimension to this small scene. 

Your photography could use some improvement. A solid white background that went behind and below the build would help a lot. Not sure what photo editing software you have access to, if any, but cropping the edges and brightening up the white background would be major improvements too.:classic:

Otherwise, I am certain the southern lands are fortunate to welcome Khadira into the fold!

Boy could my photography use work. Tis true indeed. Sadly I have no solid white background and am taking pics on an Iphone. Usually my girlfriend takes the pics and she is better than I am at it... It is something I would like to work on but in a month we leave France and then a few months after that we will be moving again so I am not sure when I will be able to improve on it... Sadly there just isn't much I can do at the moment but when we are settled more long term I will do as you suggested. Glad you liked the overall scene, little scenes are all I got at the moment!

On 2017/7/14 at 11:46 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

This is a great courtyard scene! I love the way the palm trees overhang the wall in the back, giving it a very lived-in and organic feel. The angled wall and the wooden supports jutting from the walls are also nice. I am impressed by the number of those figs you have, as they make a nice little army. The uniform disguises that they are all different races and skintones, which is what a uniform is meant to do, I would argue. In the future I think I would avoid using the lime green tendril with the other plants like that, since having only one makes it stand out awkwardly. I might also suggest limiting the colors of flowers to just a few, rather than using so many reds and oranges and yellows and pinks. Overall, though, this is a great build. I love seeing and hearing more about Khadira. 

I am glad that it got the lived in feel to it. Figs are one of the few areas where I have plenty of basic guys due to a bricklink impulse buy ten years ago. The lime green tendril was a bit of a misplace, I should have kept it with the other one near the wall where there is more green variation. I love adding splashes of color but I see what you mean and will try and keep them more in certain areas with less mixing next time. I am glad you like Khadira, I hope I can keep building little bits and fleshing it out.

On 2017/7/16 at 7:30 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Really neat use of those large printed slopes :thumbup: The archway with roof is very nicely built, and makes the scene much more dynamic :classic:

I wanted it to look like it was walled off from the rest of the city but still accessible. Glad you liked the archway with the messenger.

On 2017/7/17 at 11:46 AM, The Maestro said:

Really cool texturing and goodness thats a load of turbans! The greenary really adds to it aswell. Cannot wait to see more :thumbup:

Oh...there are plenty more turbans where they came from! Sadly they are mostly red and black. I want more of the newer more detailed green brown and white ones. And the purple ones, and the old tan ones...and the Brickarms (not sure) ones which you can put helmets on top... You can never have too many turbans in Kaliphlim!