SilentWolf

[ETTC Cocoa Factory] Roasting the beans

Stage One: Fermentation - Ayrlego

Stage Two: Drying - Puvel

Stage Three: Roasting - SilentWolf

Stage Four: Grinding and Pressing - Bregir

35456943680_f174aacf7b_z.jpg

There is much going on in King's Harbour these days. First it opens its majestic new garden, then the department of time began ringing its perfect bells. Now a cocoa factory is starting up. Today, the Colonial Governor Jonathan Cooke is receiving a tour of the third phase of the factory where all the roasting of the cocoa beans takes place. He is just now meeting the foreman, a Mr. Edward Roberts. 

35456941190_54d4a51c93_z.jpg

35004613244_0e2054580c_c.jpg

"Glad to meet you Captain Cooke! I was looking forward to your visit. This building's sole purpose is to roast the cocoa beans that have already been fermented and dried. I dare say this factory will propel our export of cocoa to great heights and make Cocovia the envy of all the brickworld."

35844863805_49ea4d82e9_c.jpg

"Here you see a wagon that is just recently loaded with roasted beans. It is on its way over to the grinding and pressing plant that I heard you have already toured. This driver is one of the spryest old men you have ever seen. He gets his wagon loaded and unloaded faster than any of our other drivers."

35803994156_8d51c21d90_c.jpg

35804366136_c7c53b72e1_c.jpg

"When you came over the bridge, you may have noticed the barge that is delivering a supply of wood for the furnaces. We receive deliveries several times a week just so we can keep our ovens running. A family business is what I hear and they deliver anywhere there barge can reach. I believe in the future we will even ship our beans between factories using the canal."

Cooke replied, "I did indeed see the barge. That is a large quantity of wood that is being delivered. Is it all for the factory?"

35844435645_4bb2e2a88b_c.jpg

Roberts answered, "Yes, that is indeed all for our operations. This week we should need only one more delivery toward the end of the week, but we are having a slower week with a couple of the ovens . Would you care to come inside and see the process? Our first batch of the day should be coming out of the oven soon."

35456699790_25cba7ac6b_c.jpg

35004606964_bb58ef5f93_c.jpg

"The stone ovens have the fire in a separate compartment beneath the roasting area. The two compartments are accessed via different doors which allows us to add wood or remove the beans without affecting the heating process. We can thus maintain the proper temperatures between batches of roasted beans lowering the downtime. Cocoa roasting unlike coffee roasting is at a low temperature and maintaining the temperature is key."

35456862080_fca2993494_c.jpg

"The beans are taken out of the barrels that they arrived in from the drying division, and placed on trays preferably in a single layer. They are then placed in a properly heated oven until they are almost done." 

35675752102_9fd72243b4_c.jpg

"They are then removed from the oven and set out to cool during which time they finish roasting as the trays cool. At this time, they have acquired there unique cocoa flavor and aroma that we have come to love. They are then placed in barrels and loaded on wagons like the one you saw to send to the grinding and pressing division"

35844765215_971eb83ba7_c.jpg

"You may notice that it is warm in here. In order to keep it tolerable for the employees, we built in special vents above the ovens that we can raise and lower with a bar. This enables some of the heat to escape without allowing a strong draft which would cool the ovens and ruin the roast."

35804121836_5c4f04d641_c.jpg

"You can see the barrels of dried beans waiting to be roasted. We shall complete all of those today which in reality is a slow day. We like to roast all the beans delivered yesterday which enables us to know exactly how much work is going to be needed tomorrow. We also have to keep a supply of empty crates and barrels so that we do not run out. Efficiency is key to a successful business such as this."

35004554234_64077c610a_c.jpg

"My office is up above the door which enables me to oversee the whole process even when I have paperwork to do. It also enables me to get a quick overview of our inventory at any time that I need it. The only downside is it can get hot up there, but that doesn't matter excessively as my work also involves being on the floor checking temperatures and end products."

35675663432_f6b2769533_c.jpg

"We take pride in taking care of our employees. We have a nice area set aside for them to enjoy a cooler break or mealtime. Though they have to rotate when the breaks occur as the process must be kept moving. It is the most efficient way. I hope you enjoyed your tour, Captain Cooke, and I am sure you will find the other divisions equally as satisfying and efficient. Feel free to walk around the place before you leave."

35004456154_5f681d7306_c.jpg

35456717620_51d4be386c_c.jpg

Edit: The footprint of this build is 58x58 with a little overhang from the shutters. Credit goes to Bregir for the idea of the brick pillars on the façade of the building. 

Edited by SilentWolf

Nice!  A worthy second part of this collab! - those ovens look great, and the vents are an excellent idea (and look quite neat as well! :pir-laugh:)  I'm really liking the colors of the building, and the office and flat roof are very good too - those minifigure plates spice it up nicely!  I'm also surprised at how well the new CMF elf's dress works in this setting - and, of course, those sea gulls are epic! :grin:  Can't wait to see what's left of the collab!

Absolutely terrific! A huge building with tons of nice details, nice job!

Another great segment of this factory!  Fantastic job showing the process, and good work on the ovens and shutters!  And great detail with the ETTC initials on the floor! :thumbup: 

Another great piece of this factory collab! I really like the continuation of architectural details, great use of the masonry bricks, and the color scheme works well. And the process is excellently portrayed. The office over the door, and the workers having a meal break are nice elements. Fantastic job! :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Kai NRG said:

...And great detail with the ETTC initials on the floor! :thumbup: 

This! - hadn't noticed that at first, great idea with that! :pir-classic:

Another fantastic addition to the Cocoa processing factory SilentWolf. I really like how you have managed to use both your own style while at the same time blending with features in Bregir's component.

The ovens themselves are a highlight and I like all the details you've crammed into the factory floor. Great job explaining the process as well.

Overall a very high bar for me to try and match, I am afraid my fermentation plant will be rather disappointing after the efforts of the team so far!

Fantastic factory, Silentwolf! All those ovens are great, and I like the look of the building. The use of brick-bricks in the wall gives it a nice texture. I like how it is embedded in the surroundings, and that you have picked up the canals typical for King's Harbour, including the barge bringing in firewood. Those shudders on the sides for ventilation and the ETTC in the floor are inspired. 

I have to agree with Ayrlego. Keeping up with the high bar you have set will be hard! I am happy i got mine posted first! :P

King's Harbour will grow stronger! 

Ah, there goes the diet :pir-blush:

Now I want chocolade. In large quantities...!

Love the details of the interior, looks like you could really melt some cocoa butter in there, roast the beans ... I can almost smell the bitter-sweet aroma in the air around me.

Also, the outside with the merchants and the bridge looks really lively, and playable.

Why haven't I commented on this fantastic, lovely, amazing, wonderful piece of work yet? So sorry, because this MOC deserves a comment.

Let's start with what I don't like: The masonry bricks are too evenly distributed. I would much rather have them densely stuffed in two or three spots. Like if the plaster has just broken at some places.

Let's continue with what I love: The bridge is amazing! Ok, only half a bridge, but still fantastic. The roof design is lovely, the style very similar (which is great!) to Bregir's MOC. The oven inside, the roasting process - great depiction, so cool! Excellent minifig posing and a very busy atmosphere all around. ETTC in the ground is a nice addition. These chimney-windows (for the hot air to flow out), and the guy opening the hatch with a long stick is my favourite, really fantastic depiction of this.

Lovely work overall, please give me more!

On 7/10/2017 at 8:29 PM, Garmadon said:

Nice!  A worthy second part of this collab! - those ovens look great, and the vents are an excellent idea (and look quite neat as well! :pir-laugh:)  I'm really liking the colors of the building, and the office and flat roof are very good too - those minifigure plates spice it up nicely!  I'm also surprised at how well the new CMF elf's dress works in this setting - and, of course, those sea gulls are epic! :grin:  Can't wait to see what's left of the collab!

Thank you! I had to work the Elf's Dress in somewhere as I bought several of them. It does make a good outfit for an upper class lady. I hate when I finish a build and haven't included several different animals so the seagulls were a great addition to make this one more animal inclusive. They also spiced up the roof nicely. 

On 7/11/2017 at 1:32 AM, Professor Thaum said:

One word : Wow !

NB : Good insight the paving !

Thank you! The perfectness of the paving is one of my dislikes on this build, but the way I designed it and the quantity of pieces needed only lent itself to that one style. 

On 7/11/2017 at 5:44 AM, Bodi said:

Absolutely terrific! A huge building with tons of nice details, nice job!

Thank you!

On 7/11/2017 at 6:39 AM, Mike S said:

Nicely done! The roof turned out great as well. :thumbup:

Thank you Mike! The roof also turned out surprisingly stable, especially with the center pole supporting it. I shall have to use this technique more in the future.

On 7/11/2017 at 9:31 AM, Kai NRG said:

Another great segment of this factory!  Fantastic job showing the process, and good work on the ovens and shutters!  And great detail with the ETTC initials on the floor! :thumbup: 

I enjoyed writing this story to explain what was going on in the build. Thank you for the compliments on the ovens. They have been built and rebuilt several times over the last several months. The wooden door handle was the final touch that I think made them work well. 

On 7/11/2017 at 9:56 AM, Capt Wolf said:

Another great piece of this factory collab! I really like the continuation of architectural details, great use of the masonry bricks, and the color scheme works well. And the process is excellently portrayed. The office over the door, and the workers having a meal break are nice elements. Fantastic job! :thumbup:

The office almost didn't exist as I was having issues with it. A last minute revision to the roof made the completion of the office possible and also made it visible for everyone to see clearly. The meal break was a fun addition, and I had to use the hot dogs from the new CMF series. :pir-sweet:

On 7/11/2017 at 11:36 AM, Garmadon said:

This! - hadn't noticed that at first, great idea with that! :pir-classic:

Thank you! The last time I tried a mural it didn't work out so well, so this time I went simple with letters and thought it worked well. It also helped me have enough tiles to finish the floor. :pir_laugh2:

On 7/12/2017 at 6:29 AM, Ayrlego said:

Another fantastic addition to the Cocoa processing factory SilentWolf. I really like how you have managed to use both your own style while at the same time blending with features in Bregir's component.

The ovens themselves are a highlight and I like all the details you've crammed into the factory floor. Great job explaining the process as well.

Overall a very high bar for me to try and match, I am afraid my fermentation plant will be rather disappointing after the efforts of the team so far!

Thank you Ayrlego! You always have such great builds that I doubt the bar is placed too high. Though you did get the more mundane level of the process with the fermenting, so I am curious to see how you show it. :pir-laugh: 

On 7/12/2017 at 7:42 AM, Bregir said:

Fantastic factory, Silentwolf! All those ovens are great, and I like the look of the building. The use of brick-bricks in the wall gives it a nice texture. I like how it is embedded in the surroundings, and that you have picked up the canals typical for King's Harbour, including the barge bringing in firewood. Those shudders on the sides for ventilation and the ETTC in the floor are inspired. 

I have to agree with Ayrlego. Keeping up with the high bar you have set will be hard! I am happy i got mine posted first! :P

King's Harbour will grow stronger! 

I was going to build it completely in masonry bricks but three levels in I realized that wasn't happening as I needed a few hundred/thousand more. The tan/masonry combo enabled me to keep the original idea, but yet last the whole building. I  ran out of both colors by the time I was done though. I kept trying to figure out how I was going to use the full 50x50 but then I remembered the canals. It also made the process of delivery and pickup smoother to have the two methods. King's Harbour is definitely growing fast these days. 

On 7/16/2017 at 7:32 AM, Loves Houses said:

Ah, there goes the diet :pir-blush:

Now I want chocolade. In large quantities...!

Love the details of the interior, looks like you could really melt some cocoa butter in there, roast the beans ... I can almost smell the bitter-sweet aroma in the air around me.

Also, the outside with the merchants and the bridge looks really lively, and playable.

Chocolate is the key to the life of a BOBS minifigure! This build turned out exceptionally playable. The removable roof helped a lot, though the center support and table liked falling over until I added some extra legs for support. 

3 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

This is an excellent build.

Why is it hidden on the second page?

:thumbup:

That is an excellent question. Apparently, BOBS is hopping with builds right now to make up for the lull earlier this year. :pir-devil: Thank you for the compliment to this build. 

2 hours ago, Elostirion said:

Why haven't I commented on this fantastic, lovely, amazing, wonderful piece of work yet? So sorry, because this MOC deserves a comment.

Let's start with what I don't like: The masonry bricks are too evenly distributed. I would much rather have them densely stuffed in two or three spots. Like if the plaster has just broken at some places.

Let's continue with what I love: The bridge is amazing! Ok, only half a bridge, but still fantastic. The roof design is lovely, the style very similar (which is great!) to Bregir's MOC. The oven inside, the roasting process - great depiction, so cool! Excellent minifig posing and a very busy atmosphere all around. ETTC in the ground is a nice addition. These chimney-windows (for the hot air to flow out), and the guy opening the hatch with a long stick is my favourite, really fantastic depiction of this.

Lovely work overall, please give me more!

I tried to make the masonry not too even but you are right that it does have a look of consistency. I didn't want it to appear run down though as it is a "new" building. Though I had originally planned on all masonry bricks but I don't have nearly that many even though I have several hundred so this was my compromise. Though in the future I shall have to try what you mention. I am glad you like the bridge. I had fun building it. I intended the half bridge to create the allusion of a larger canal channel then I was able to build. Thank you for the compliments on the building. BOBS has definitely helped me with learning minifigure posing and its value. The guy with opening the hatches was a fun idea though it was difficult to pose him well. He kept wanting to fall over. :pir-hmpf:

10 hours ago, SilentWolf said:

Thank you! The perfectness of the paving is one of my dislikes on this build, but the way I designed it and the quantity of pieces needed only lent  itself to that one style

:pir-hmpf:

Sure... to make a paving like the perfect one of Kyle in is kitchen on such a large factory there must be a gigantic need of pieces.

This is another fine piece of the chocolate collab. I really like the overall look and tidy appearance. The collection of ovens is impressive and the depiction of the process is good. I like how busy it looks with all the people, animals, and transportation devices. And the lady in the elf-based dress looks good in this setting. Overall a very well-detailed build.