ZlatanXVIGustaf

MOC Medieval Sawmill

Hello!

Here is my latest moc, a medieval sawmill.

34880851264_7f13bcedd9_z.jpgMedieval Sawmill by jonatansvenning, on Flickr

35682693296_f7a44fdc54_z.jpgWaterwheel by jonatansvenning, on Flickr

34912871673_8f3f986e02_z.jpgLift by jonatansvenning, on Flickr

More pics on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143555974@N03/albums/72157683012282584/with/34912871673/

Overall, im not very happy with the outcome because I fell like my building-skills have improved alot since I started it. Before I started building I knew I wanted to build a waterstream with a waterwheel and a tudorstyle house so I decided to build a very large moc, a bit too large for my collection. The water looks absolutely terrible in my opinion. I had never seen anyone build a waterstream like that so I wanted to try it out. The trees turned out ok and it was fun to experiment with the pneumatic hoses for a tree trunk. I am very pleased with the house, especially the roof. The only thing that I would like to change would be to have one more color in the stonework but other than that, I love it. 

Please tell me what you think, CC is very welcome, both for the build and the photography.

I like the scene.  The roofs are very good.  I like the color scheme of the buildings.  Your trees are pretty good.  The landscaping and the rockwork are nicely done.  My only criticism is the stream is a little bland aesthetically.  Overall good job.

3 hours ago, ZlatanXVIGustaf said:

Hello!

Here is my latest moc, a medieval sawmill.

Overall, im not very happy with the outcome because I fell like my building-skills have improved alot since I started it. Before I started building I knew I wanted to build a waterstream with a waterwheel and a tudorstyle house so I decided to build a very large moc, a bit too large for my collection. The water looks absolutely terrible in my opinion. I had never seen anyone build a waterstream like that so I wanted to try it out. The trees turned out ok and it was fun to experiment with the pneumatic hoses for a tree trunk. I am very pleased with the house, especially the roof. The only thing that I would like to change would be to have one more color in the stonework but other than that, I love it. 

Please tell me what you think, CC is very welcome, both for the build and the photography.

I think it looks pretty good

You're being too hard with yourself

Love the house the and the tree. 

How long did it take to complete this wonderful MOC?

@zoth33 Thanks! The roofs are definetly my favorite part of the build. 

@Robert8 Thanks! It took me about nine months to finnish but that includes a lot of breaks while waiting for bricklink orders. Anyways, it took way too long and I got very bored in the end. Might be why I don't like it that much.:grin:

Looks beautiful! Definitely a high level of skill involved. Some really good ideas :classic: Though I would rather call it a "fantasy sawmill". That fits better to the design of the building on the left and the overall feel. 

Nice moc looks very vivid and there are some interesting techniques involved, thanks for sharing.

Very nice work. The stream could have a bit more detail but this is definitely better than you think it is. :thumbup:

Your water work is nice, its very different from what you usually see (in a refreshing way). The only suggestion I would add for that would be to maybe alter the clear and blues a little more to break up the monotony of it. The water wheel could probably be a little bigger. 

Otherwise, I think you did a really great job. I have a certain fondness for builds that start out with the main features elevated like that. I know its a lot of work. 

On 2017-07-05 at 3:40 PM, peedeejay said:

Great build. The colors really add to it!

Thanks! I didn't really think much about the colors I choose but it turned out nice.

On 2017-07-05 at 4:55 PM, Littleworlds said:

Looks beautiful! Definitely a high level of skill involved. Some really good ideas :classic: Though I would rather call it a "fantasy sawmill". That fits better to the design of the building on the left and the overall feel. 

Thank you! And yes, I agree about the name. I was very tired when I posted it so I just wanted tobe done with it so I couldn't be bothered to come up with a good name. 

On 2017-07-06 at 2:32 AM, Niku said:

Nice moc looks very vivid and there are some interesting techniques involved, thanks for sharing.

I'm glad you like it. 

On 2017-07-06 at 4:20 AM, BrickJagger said:

Very nice work. The stream could have a bit more detail but this is definitely better than you think it is. :thumbup:

Thanks! And yes, after all the praise it got at Klossfestivalen (swedish LEGO-convention) and getting featured on TBB, I realized it is quite a good moc. 

23 hours ago, Thebeeze111 said:

Your water work is nice, its very different from what you usually see (in a refreshing way). The only suggestion I would add for that would be to maybe alter the clear and blues a little more to break up the monotony of it. The water wheel could probably be a little bigger. 

Otherwise, I think you did a really great job. I have a certain fondness for builds that start out with the main features elevated like that. I know its a lot of work. 

Thanks! I will give the water-tecnique another try some other time on a smaller scale. The water-plates were very unstable so I wasn't able to put any trans-clear pieces on top without having the plates moving in all kinds of directions.

1 hour ago, Brick-of-the-Wild said:

Really like those medieval sceneries!

Just BTW could anyone post a tutorial on how to achieve those sort of roofs?

Thank you! 

I might be able to put together a tutorial as I haven't yet ripped apart the house though the rest is gone. (Keyword is might)

Some beautiful details there for sure mate... The roof of the left cottage is very well done, and the whole landscaping is interesting :)

13 hours ago, ZlatanXVIGustaf said:

Thanks! I didn't really think much about the colors I choose but it turned out nice.

Thank you! And yes, I agree about the name. I was very tired when I posted it so I just wanted tobe done with it so I couldn't be bothered to come up with a good name. 

I'm glad you like it. 

Thanks! And yes, after all the praise it got at Klossfestivalen (swedish LEGO-convention) and getting featured on TBB, I realized it is quite a good moc. 

Thanks! I will give the water-tecnique another try some other time on a smaller scale. The water-plates were very unstable so I wasn't able to put any trans-clear pieces on top without having the plates moving in all kinds of directions.

Thank you! 

I might be able to put together a tutorial as I haven't yet ripped apart the house though the rest is gone. (Keyword is might)

Would be nice.

If not maybe you could just post some separate  pics of the house and the roof with just some hints

Fantastic layout. :wub: It's beautifully detailed and nicely colored. Overall it's a very good arrangement. Perhaps the waterwheel could be bigger, and the water may be a little plain, but otherwise it's an excellent build. And I like sawmills, so that's a bonus. Good work.

perfect MOC-Work i like the coulores and it looks so alive with all the details

This looks really good.

I like your use of colors and interesting use of parts for the water.

Great build! :thumbup:

Love your MOC! As a fan of medieval culture, I always want to build one of my own. But I can't make the roof like yours. Can you show me how the curved roof is done. Many thanks!!

I agree, the water could've used a little more work, I would suggest translucent light blue, translucent dark blue and clear studs for the future. 

But it was an amazing build! The roof texture for the house on the left was my favorite part.