Sign in to follow this  
stella2015

MonoRail Return?

Hey guys, i know that it is a long time in the past, but it would be amazing, for them to bring back the monorail. what do you guys think?

This seems to come up every now and then, and most reliable sources seem to indicate the answer is no. The molds for the original Monorail have been retired, it would require Lego to design an entirely new system. Considering the sluggishly slow amount of train sets we get now, why would Lego dare risk adding a second rail based system right now? Its probably the same reason Lego narrow gauge track hasn't expanded beyond just an incline and a curve, Lego sees no chance for profit in such a venture. If you want Monorail back, either go buy custom 3D printed or molded parts from 3rd party vendors, or experiment with developing a brick based rail system of your own. There was somebody who used to have a project on Lego Ideas that used a brick based system, which I think is a good place to start for anyone wishing to have a Monorail, especially since it is more realistic than Lego's original version.

Lego Designer Mark Stafford has weighed in on this HERE. The long and short of it is that monorails were never successful for Lego, test poorly with kids, and no longer represent a popular vision of the future the way they once did. The original molds also no longer exist, as xboxtravis7992 pointed out.

Edited by Lyichir

No.

It's an old concept that back then was the "vehicle of the future" but is now been replaced by things like Maglevs. @xboxtravis7992 and @Lyichir make some very good points on the subject as well.

5 hours ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

This seems to come up every now and then, and most reliable sources seem to indicate the answer is no. The molds for the original Monorail have been retired, it would require Lego to design an entirely new system. Considering the sluggishly slow amount of train sets we get now, why would Lego dare risk adding a second rail based system right now? Its probably the same reason Lego narrow gauge track hasn't expanded beyond just an incline and a curve, Lego sees no chance for profit in such a venture. If you want Monorail back, either go buy custom 3D printed or molded parts from 3rd party vendors, or experiment with developing a brick based rail system of your own. There was somebody who used to have a project on Lego Ideas that used a brick based system, which I think is a good place to start for anyone wishing to have a Monorail, especially since it is more realistic than Lego's original version.

This is probably the Ideas project you're talking about, right?

Monorail by Ideas user Hidaka.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/cbae1c5f-f858-4697-bd52-13dcb59871ae

I found out about him awhile ago after @LegoMonorailFan cited his YouTube channel on a thread of mine, and afterwards found his Ideas project. For a scratch monorail, he has done some thoroughly impressive work!

I wonder if Lego has ever considered testing a monorail concept with girls for the Friends theme, something I think could be very fitting for the theme, as opposed to a traditional railway subtheme.

14 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

This is probably the Ideas project you're talking about, right?

Monorail by Ideas user Hidaka.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/cbae1c5f-f858-4697-bd52-13dcb59871ae

I found out about him awhile ago after @LegoMonorailFan cited his YouTube channel on a thread of mine, and afterwards found his Ideas project. For a scratch monorail, he has done some thoroughly impressive work!

I wonder if Lego has ever considered testing a monorail concept with girls for the Friends theme, something I think could be very fitting for the theme, as opposed to a traditional railway subtheme.

I'm sure they would sooner test/release a train using the existing track system than a monorail requiring a new one. It would not be any more of a challenge to create a Friends train that was still as colorful, bubbly, and sleek as the other models in the Friends theme than it would be to create a monorail that had those same qualities. And I don't really see why the appeal of a monorail in terms of structure would vary that much between boys and girls.

Idk about monorail, the original lego version wasn't a true monorail, and Hidaka's version is really parts-intensive (albeit fairly basic parts).

Weren't there a couple of technic-based ideas floating around out there?

I tried my hand at a technic solution that used beams for the rail. But I found it difficult to have powered bogies that could traverse 15 degree inclines as well as be coupled together.

If I can find them, and if anyone's interested, I'll post some pics?

Maybe a Disney licensed version of their monorail with correct styled monorail track could be a seller.  Toss in some Disney character figs for passengers.  It could make a nice addition to the Disney castle set. 

Much as I hate to admit it - it's highly unlikely that Lego monorail's ever coming back :(

Which is a shame, because it's great for adding a bit of retro futuristic glam and density to any burgeoning Lego city's transit system 

On 7/3/2017 at 3:55 PM, dr_spock said:

Maybe a Disney licensed version of their monorail with correct styled monorail track could be a seller.  Toss in some Disney character figs for passengers.  It could make a nice addition to the Disney castle set. 

I would buy that in a hearbeat and circle it around the Castle... Still unlikely, but one can dream right? :wink: