dan76

Custom Floor Tiles

Hi everybody!

Here's a project I would like to launch, but before I would like to understand if there is enough interest on it.

Those are custom floor tiles, 2x2 and 3x3 who can be used combined with 1x1 tiles to create very decorative floors.

They will come in five colors:

- white

- tan

- light bluish gray

- sand blue 

- dark tan

plus maybe other colors following request.

They will be make by ABS injection and their price would be around 0.3$ each.

What do you think? Any suggestion? 

Thanks in advance for your opinion!

Take care!

Dan 

rps20170701_082354.jpg

Hi

whilst I'm sure many will like these, I'm a purist, and only allow official LEGO manufactured pieces into my builds.

good luck with your venture though.

I think you've got a nice idea. I hope you get lots of interest...

Perhaps a 4x4 to work with a standard 2x2 tile?

One issue I can see however, is how you interface at a wall or corner. It may require half or two third width tiles which might get messy?

it is cool that now everybody can make there own. and your's are well thaught through.

But i am a purist too so only 100% lego for mee

Edited by SollX

neeeeeaaaaat.  but i'm not sure how well they'd work with walls and corners - i guess there's the option to raise the wall by one plate and build on top of these but, not always enough space for that.

No offense but I'm a bit concerned about the growing amount of Nonlego stuff presented in Lego forums lately. This development seems to be based onto the idea that Lego is something deficient, something that has to be improved to fulfill our needs. But that isn't true in my opinion. From my point of view the idea behind building with Lego - instead of the usual modelmaking - is that all builders are restricted to the same amount of shapes and colours - in a competitive sense, if you will. The quality of a Lego MOC is never a result of the material used (anybody can buy the same bricks and put them together somehow) but of the creativity of the builder. Since there's no common sense about which kind of Nonlego stuff is "allowed" or not in a Lego MOC any use of Nonlego parts will lead to the conflict to decide if the MOC looks so great because the builder is so talented - or because he uses Nonlego parts to pimp it up (this already begins with custom stickers). Regarding your tiles (which do look good as such, no question) I'd rather see a model from someone who has found a way to use, say, 2x2 tiles in a diagonal way than a model with your solution. But, as said, that's only my personal opinion.  

The general acceptance of custom minifig parts is much higher than the acceptance of custom parts. One can see that in the number of providers. The only non minifig parts provider I know is altbricks. And these you only see rarely in MOCs.

Sorry to tell you this, but i'm also just using official LEGO parts.

IMO ER0L summarized it very well.

Don't get me wrong. I'm very ipressed what one can do today creating custom parts. But that's just the technical aspect of it, which fascinates me.

Good luck.

Hey dan76,

I think this is a great idea, I like the possibilities these parts offer.
But, I am also not interested in non-LEGO parts. So I can only hope LEGO might introduce a part like this in the future.
Maybe you're asking in the wrong place, I'm sure there is a market for these.

Best of luck, and keep clicking those bricks together!

Its a nice idea - yet indeed, there are ways to "work around" this using square tiles diagonally etc for some floor techniques...so not much interest in those from my side. But since you are allready printing: why not print wheels for cars? Full PLASTIC in existing diameters- something TLG really forgot about lately-  anyone who wants Lego RC cars with drifting needs those in their builds for certain reasons: rubber has too much friction for the small weight of any lego MOC! And with all the super weak child friendly Lego motors you never get the power to have zentrifugal force > rubber friction (for a drift)

Simply assemble some cool tires with rubber and you have your full "template". 

Very cool! I saw some years ago (I'm pretty sure it still was an old Cuusoo project!) something like this. Let me find the pictures. It's exactly what I've always wanted. Shame the Cuusoo project never got there. I wish you much more luck!

Resultado de imagen de lego tessellation tiles

Lego+Tessellation+Tiles+New+Bricks+Design+4.jpg

Btw, looking at those designs, it seems like TLG has been copying them rencently. The last one especially looks just like the Nexo Knights tile/shield or even more like the minecraft minecart tile for making turns.

On 20.7.2017 at 10:52 AM, paupadros said:

Very cool! I saw some years ago (I'm pretty sure it still was an old Cuusoo project!) something like this. Let me find the pictures. It's exactly what I've always wanted. Shame the Cuusoo project never got there. I wish you much more luck!

What a great find - indeed TLG should focus more on basic stuff like more different tiles, slopes and plates with attachments. Its time the "building" fraction gets more stuff (i mean, even modulex was more advanced back in a day!). They invest WAY too much in the minifig moulds - just imagine fewer guns, accessories and hairstyles and therefore more construction based elements :D

On 7/20/2017 at 3:52 AM, paupadros said:

Lego+Tessellation+Tiles+New+Bricks+Design+4.jpg
Btw, looking at those designs, it seems like TLG has been copying them rencently. The last one especially looks just like the Nexo Knights tile/shield or even more like the minecraft minecart tile for making turns.

I wouldn't say that looks anything like the nexo knights shield which has no studs and isn't the same shape. Something like this already exists as a 3rd-Party product from Brickforge. Personally, I don't see much use or reason behind it, especially considering the cost. https://www.brickforge.com/Introducing-HEXIBRIX/

I found a brick combo that resembles this. doesn't look quite as good as your custom ones sadly but modified tiles 27263 and simple 1x1 tiles arranged together give a very similar look

Posted (edited)

Since this is already bumped, LEGO has recently introduced some relevant tiles to this.

• 2017 27263.jpg27263
  • 2018 35787.jpg35787
  • 2019 49307.jpg49307
  • 2019 32627.t1.png 32627
  • 2020 66857.t1.png 66857
  • 2020 67095.t1.png 67095
  • 2022 65474.t1.png 65474
  • 2022 1748.t1.png 1748
  • 2023 3396.jpg3396
  • 2024 3563.jpg 3563
  • 2024 5091.jpg5092.jpg 5091 5092
  • 2024 5520.t1.png 5520