35499931341_4a1bfc889d_c.jpg

35499932141_d2c56427f2_c.jpg

35499935451_50e1a73bf4_c.jpg

35462318482_9e6f7003cf_c.jpg

35462323692_2cf46ba1c1_c.jpg

35462328862_ecc6632c14_c.jpg

Product name    London Bus

Product number    10258

Consumer product description    Take a nostalgic journey with this LEGO® Creator Expert replica of the world-famous double-decker London Bus. Grab the hand pole and step onto the open rear boarding deck, complete with a used ticket bin and fire extinguisher. Then take the half-spiral staircase to the sightseeing deck where you’ll find a cozy seating area and a number of other items, including a forgotten umbrella, newspaper, empty beverage can and even discarded chewing gum stuck under a slightly-worn seat. Slide the door to access the driver’s cab with panoramic windscreen, lift the hood to reveal the engine, remove the roof and upper deck to access the interior, and choose your favorite decade with the reversible transit-advertising posters, featuring a 1950s or present-day London promotion. From the distinctive lines and curves of its bright-red bodywork, to its specially made standard-tread tires and destination sign, this beautifully crafted model oozes authenticity and intricate details that capture the character and charm of a celebrated London icon!

Shopper product description    Celebrate iconic design with this charming double-decker London Bus, featuring a wealth of authentic details, including a bright-red color scheme, panoramic windshield, specially made standard-tread tires, destination sign, and an open rear boarding deck with a hand pole, ticket bin, fire extinguisher and a half-spiral staircase that leads to the upper sightseeing deck. Functions include an opening hood with engine, detailed driver’s cab with a sliding door, and a removable roof and upper deck for access to the detailed interior with worn look seating and additional authentic details, including a forgotten umbrella, newspaper, empty beverage can and discarded chewing gum. Reversible transit advertising posters are also provided as printed labels with a 1950s or present-day London promotion. This LEGO® Creator Expert model has been designed to provide a challenging and rewarding building experience with a touch of nostalgia and charm.

Shopper product quick view    Enjoy a nostalgic journey with this highly authentic reproduction of the iconic London Bus, featuring classic curved bodywork, panoramic windscreen, specially made standard-tread tires and a detailed interior.

Shopper product bullets    "• The London Bus comes with an array of brick-built features and details, including large windows, bright red curved bodywork, panoramic windshield, reversible transit advertising posters provided as printed labels, specially made standard-tread tires and a destination sign. It also has an opening hood with engine, detailed driver’s cab with sliding door, and a removable roof and upper deck for access to the detailed interior.
• Interior details include worn look seating, open rear boarding deck with a hand pole, ticket bin, fire extinguisher and a half-spiral staircase that leads to the sightseeing deck. Additional authentic detailing includes a forgotten umbrella, newspaper, empty beverage can and discarded chewing gum elements.
• Choose your favorite decade with the miniature, reversible transit advertising posters, featuring a 1950s or present day London promotion.
• Remove the roof and upper deck for full access to the detailed interior.
• Slide open the driver’s door to access the detailed cab with panoramic windscreen.
• Lift the hood to access the engine.
• Special elements include a new-for-August-2017 tire with standard tread, quarter bows and arches in red, and 1x1x1 A2/3 bricks with vertical studs.
• This model includes more than 1,680 pieces.
• This model is scaled for shelf display alongside other models in the LEGO® Creator Expert vehicle series.
• Measures over 7” (18cm) high, 13” (34cm) long and 5” (13cm) wide."

Age marker    16+

Guess the twitter leak pushed this out early? Looks better than the catalog image and I like some of the build but still not sold on the front. 

What about the front don't you like? 

The decorative tile situation down the middle of the grille is really out of proportion and I'd rather the color be red. That could be an easy enough fix with some extra pieces.

This is really quite nice! I would like it better if it were smaller, but for the level of detail the size is needed.

Andy D

46 minutes ago, CDM said:

What about the front don't you like? 

The decorative tile situation down the middle of the grille is really out of proportion and I'd rather the color be red. That could be an easy enough fix with some extra pieces.

Well, look at the picture below. The fenders should be much more rounded at the bottom, for starters. The headlights are too big and the grille is too tall (and too grey). It'll need more than a few extra pieces...

Routemaster_line_9_heritage.jpg

Very nice set but personally I think this one is better especially the front end and roof line.

Sadly, as this is a LEGO Ideas project I'm guessing the 10258 will all but kill it off. I feel for the builder, talk about bad timing.

4448486-o_1bhhq5fah1dtr1cuhjfd9h81jpsc-k

Edited by grum64

Probably gonna get this, but I must admit I'm a little less enthusiastic about it than the other Creator cars. The section between the headlights and the front wheels bother me a little, wish there was a fancy build that would give it a proper arch above the wheels and a little depth/texture.

I had the same idea for the umbrella stand from the moment I saw the umbrella in TLBM. I think I posted the idea here on Eurobricks actually, pretty cool to see it in a set. Am I allowed to say that great minds think alike? :laugh:

I think I will get two. As an ex bus driver of 14 years in NZ I will build one as is. The other one i will mod down to 8 wide as my LEGO layout has 6 wide cars and 8 wide trucks and buses. It will sell here for $NZ 219. :classic:

7 hours ago, grum64 said:

Very nice set but personally I think this one is better especially the front end and roof line.

Sadly, as this is a LEGO Ideas project I'm guessing the 10258 will all but kill it off. I feel for the builder, talk about bad timing.

That idea set actually cleans up the front grille/fender area much better than the official set in my eyes.  10258 just looks unfinished and/or poorly executed in the bonnet area.

I want this! The tires will be very useful in other projects too.

12 hours ago, CopMike said:

and even discarded chewing gum stuck under a slightly-worn seat.

Wow! I can't wait to find old chewing gum stuck under a chair! :sarcasm:

Overall nice set but... BUT! I really don't like that flanges (ledges?) on both sides of the bus. If you look at this pic you can see why they used them. They needed to cover the big window Panels 1x4x3. My question is - why they didn't used Panels 1x4x2?? OK - maybe you will answer - because they aren't produced in Trans Clear. But is that a problem for TLG? Sooner or later they will for sure produce this part in that color and THIS was ideal opportunity!

Btw. one member of our LUG also made one London Bus.

I'm looking forward to this great set!

And these new tires mean 10252 & 10242 get 'proper' spares!

hmm... in my opinion, not a great set at all... :hmpf_bad: I just don't like it.

It seems this set divides opinion a bit. I like it. It doesn't look like an exact replica of a London bus, but it's close enough for me. Looks like a good Lego bus.

That being said, it's still way down on my wish list. There's just too many great sets this year which takes the top spots. (Ninjago city, Destiny's Bounty, Saturn V, Old Fishing Store, Carousel, the rumoured UCS MF, etc.)