Sign in to follow this  
Kintobor

MOC: [LDD] Sailor Moon Brickheadz

I got bored and wanted something quick to build, so I decided to try my hand at a Brickheadz. I'm not near my collection at the moment, so I built in LDD. I also doubt I have all the pieces necessary to actually have a physical version of the model, but who knows, maybe I'll build it physically some day.

Needles to say, the subject was spurred on because I've been meaning to sit down and continue watching the series which is titled after the titular character who's likeness I tried to replicate. She fights evil by moonlight, wins love by daylight, she never runs from a real fight (:sarcasm_smug:), she's the one called Sailor Moon!
Sailor%20Moon%20Brickheadz%201_zpsthi8r8
Sailor%20Moon%20Brickheadz%202_zpsaqjigk

I've actually gained some mad respect for the designers of these little things. Maybe it was my choice of subject, but Sailor Moon's hair was quite possibly the most maddening thing I've ever had to think through. I'm still not thoroughly happy with her little hair buns, but it looks a lot better than some of the earlier drafts. I'll admit that I stole the skirt design from Super-girl, but it was honestly the best solution. I'm also not entirely pleased with the bow on the front, but if this was an actual product, I feel it'd be it's own printed piece. I'll probably do Tuxedo Mask in a bit to compliment the current Sailor Moon. Thoughts and criticism are appreciated!

Good work :thumbup:

I know what you mean about having respect for the designers of the Brickheadz theme. They look simple (Brickheadz not the designers :classic:) but getting them right is not as easy as you think. Took me a good while and numerous revisions to even get close. 

Edited by grum64
Grammar. Additional text.

12 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

Did you try the "Mixel eyeballs" for the hair buns? 

I actually did, and the problem that arose from that is two fold. The first is that the red gem/accessory in her buns was hard to implement without the use of an actual print, and the second was that the buns of hair lead into pony tails, like so:

Trying to then somehow get brick built hair to realistically and to scale come down from those eyeball pieces would be, in my mind, a fruitless endeavour, and I instead went with what's presented. I've actually removed some of the pieces in her buns, and it looks slightly better. I'll upload those once I've finished up Tuxedo Mask, since he's almost done.

So, here's v2 of Sailor Moon: Hair Bun Boogaloo.

Sailor%20Moon%20Brickheadz%20v2%201_zpsv
Sailor%20Moon%20Brickheadz%20v2%202_zpsi
Her hair buns aren't as bulky, and all it took was a piece change. I've also made her a little more compatible with the other Brickheadz, including ensuring she has a pink 2x2 brick in her noggin. Current piece count comes in at a whopping 166 pieces! If she was an official product, she'd have the highest piece count for a single Brickheadz figure, beating out TLBM's Joker by 15 pieces. I'll upload my photos of Tuxedo Mask in a bit. He wasn't nearly as much of a pain as Sailor Moon was, but he presented his own set of problems.

Edited by Kintobor
Forgot a photo.