Previous part: "A Belated party"

Jan Zwartbaard returned to Trador with Prince Azte Hek, crownprince of the Azclaxcan tribes. His hate towards Mardierians was still alive and kicking. Especially after their visit to Mehit on their way home. Although Lakor was the Azclaxcan capital, Mehit was the most important village of the Azclaxcan kingdom. The coastal village is a melting pot between the landbased Azclaxcans and the seafaring Mehuãtajir. But just like Lakor, Mehit was burned to the ground by Mardier troops. Jan Zwartbaard found some survivors in Mehit as well and promised to send help.

It was only back in Trador when Jan Zwartbaard heard about the recent events in Malto. Discussing the faith of the Azclaxcans with Lord Maximilian Damaximus, the latter decided the moment came to put the MAESTRO Regiment in Trador in play.

32472939750_6a9034b8d5_c.jpg

The King of Garvey, residing in his property in Trador after the coronation of Lord Maximilian Damaximus as Prince of Garvey, wanted to make up for the heavy bombardements on Malto by his vessels, so he prepared the Royal Garvey Engineers to aid the people of Malto.

So only a few hours after the arrival of Jan Zwartbaard, the Colour of the Wind, Purple Reign II, Purple Rain and 2 other Xebecs belonging to Garvey sent sail to Malto to help its citizens. Filled with food, resources and supplies and strong veterans who were eager to help the people of Malto.

After dropping 1 Batallion of Elite MAESTRO soldiers at Mehit, for its rebuilding, the 2 vessels continued their trip and arrived the next day.

1 Batallion of Elite MAESTRO soldiers, 1 company of Royal MAESTRO Engineers and 1 company of Royal Garvey Engineers landed close to Malto as Corrington vessels did not let the Eslandolan vessels come closer to Malto. It was a pleasure to see however how much trouble the Corrington vessels had with manouvering in the shallow waters around Malto. Luckily the Eslandolans choosed to sail in Xebecs...

The denial of passage should have been the first sign of the arrogancy of Corrington, but Lord Maximilian Damaximus still trusted his red friends and thought it would just be a standard procedure...

It was when the rescuers marched towards Malto that they were stopped by a Corrington Commander...

34753294013_a5262ed192_c.jpg

"Hold on" the Corrington officer yelled.

"If you take another step forward, I shall be required by duty to open fire. I am under orders to protect the neutrality of this settlement with any means necessary, and I am already stretching my authority by meeting you thus. However, my orders insist upon the necessity of maintaining good relations with Eslandola and I understand that negotiations for the status of Nova Malto are underway."

Sighing and sending a distraught glance at his Eslandian and Garvey counterpart, he continues:

"I will ask you the same I asked your MAESTRO captain yesterday and I appeal to your own sense of duty, in that you may understand that I cannot ignore my orders. I shall have my orderly appoint you a suitable camp site outside the range of my guns, near water, and ensure that you are well provisioned, should you not have brought the means to be self-sustaining. There, you will await negotiations under the flag of truce. 

I appeal to your sense of right and wrong. Please do not force me to act in what is certain to lead to a diplomatic incidence with ramifications we cannot even begin to imagine... "

35432127491_efa9f57926_c.jpg

Lord Maximilian Damaximus was stumbled for a moment. How dares Corrington denying access to an Eslandolan village?

"Dear officer from Corrington, as you said yourself, an Eslandolan Regiment is stationed closeby. I have to admit this is new information for me, but a small calculation counts a total of 450 Eslandolan soldiers close to Malto, with a full Batallion closeby at Mehit and a Royal Fortress at Puerto Desafio. That is a little bit more than your 1 Battalion currently residing in Malto, isn't it?

But I have always respected Corrington and my relations I have with your wonderfull nation, so I am not going to let things escalate. However, I do have a simple question:
Why are the people of Malto seeking protection to an ally of Mardier? It is Corrington who aided Mardier defending the island and who helped Mardier funding their coffers. So why are you claiming the title of "liberator of Malto" when all you did was defending and funding the ones who burned down their own city?

Next to me you may see Prince Azte Hek, crownprince of the Azclaxcans, one of the native tribes living on this island. Their capital is just a few miles further and they are massacred by Mardierian troops. They have a bigger right to hate you, Corringtonlander, than you have the right to defend the victims of the Mardierian genocide.

Now I have a second question as well, a bit less simple... If you are here to help the people of Malto, and you are here without any self interest, why don't you accept the help we are providing? I got 2 companies of Engineers with me to help the people of Malto. If I look around, there still are a lot of people without a decent roof, without the minimum requirements to live peacefully. One should wonder if Corrington really is helping the people of Malto for the sake of humanity, or because Corrington hopes to expand their Empire. By not letting us in, helping the people who need it the most, Corrington shows its true face to the world..."

35175522570_35fb92f276_c.jpg

On the left, the ROYAL MAESTRO Engineers under General Whitedragon...

34721195924_57e1f5415c_c.jpg

On the right, King Leopaldis IV of Garvey with his Royal Garvey Engineers...

35394363362_68132ec12f_c.jpg

Lord Maximilian Damaximus spoke once again

"I understand you can not give an aswer to my questions yourself, but think about my words... Thanks to your denial of access, this MAESTRO batallion will have to take a longer tour to arrive at Lakor, and since we are needed there, they should better hurry... The Royal Engineers still want to help rebuilding Malto and the hinterland"

34753294113_fd4cc1ebbd_c.jpg

And so the troops splitted ways. The last word wasn't said about this...

The Royal MAESTRO Engineers (1 company owned by MAESTRO)

34753255373_22ea81d02e_c.jpg

Thanks a lot for viewing and reading!

@Bregir: those 2 questions are for you, I hope you can answer them... Oh and don't play the "Corrington is a democracy blablabla", when you have put us for an ultimatum, your own words were "hoping for a fast answer"... Anyway, I am looking forward to your anwer this evening

Edited by Maxim I

Nice builts and nice troops...

A Blackmar-Diemer gambit opening for Corrington

denied by Eslandola, counter with a fianchetto.

Interesting game going on on Isla de victoria

Am I dreaming, or did ESL not sign a non-aggression treaty with COR just last week? :pir_laugh2:

A beautiful collection of minifigs though.

OOC: Nice build, Maxim! I like your ruined houses - they are an improvement over the already nice ruins in your challenge build, and I think the beach is very nice too. As always, your troops are looking impressive!

Also, nice that you take up our official repsonse without editing anything but the bare necessities and repsond IC! And what is even better is that you do not define our response, but give us time to respond ourselves. Below is the IC response. And while it may be a bit sharp (which I think you will agree mirrors your own fairly well) it is only a representation of the IC positions of Corrington, not an OOC reflection. OOC, I am totally enjoying this! :grin:

Nova Malto, June 617 AE

To his Highness, Prince Damaximus,

(As we are unaware how to properly address a prince of Garvey, you will forgive us any errors in that regard)

Major William Bradley informs me that your Highness have made several inquiries to Operation Pax Corlandia. Allow me to address them. First, however, I wish to inquire whether we are to assume that official negotiations are to be conducted with an Eslandian Prince of Garvey, or with Representatives of the numerous republican councils of Eslandola. Forgive us our ignorance, but there are many titles involved, and we are approached by several who make the appearance of being official representatives.

The commandant informs me that an "assessment" of the forces involved on both sides were made your Highness. While he perfectly agrees with the numbers presented, he requested that I clarify whether said "assesment" was in any way meant as a threat or even a request for our surrender. In the case of the latter, your Higness may find enclosed his official reply which I have read and wholeheartedly support. He also asked me to inform your Highness that he does not consider it presented in a gentlemanly manner. Should neither be the case, the letter may be disregarded.

Further, he has adviced me to ask for the full names of your Highness' diplomatic advisors. As it happens, we are currently looking to hire more staff, and we want to make sure we do not risk hiring any of those who have kept your Highness so singularly ill-informed.

Corrington has neither signed, nor agreed to, any alliance with the opressors of Mardier. Neither have any Corlander citizen, to the best of our knowledge, nor no Corlander official or soldier, taken any part in agressions against Eslandola. As we have stated time and time again, we are committed to friendly relations between our nations. Should your Highness be able to point me proof of anyone in violation of this, I shall be happy to take it up through our official channels.

We are in Nova Malto on the request of the populace, represented by Captain Lorenzini (formerly of the Mardierian Army), who fears political prosecution from the invading forces of Garvey and Eslandola, repurcussions from Mardier, and the perils of plunder and chaos after the war with no stable government. Thus, our presence as a neutral party, known for upholding our promises and our principles of civil rights, was requested to protect the neutrality and safety of the settlement and its citizens.

For the very same reason, we cannot allow foreign troops to enter the city without an official agreement for the status of Nova Malto and its citizens, as we would not be in a position to uphold our duty- and honour-bound promises in case this was but a ruse, regardless of promises of good behaviour and humanitarian aid.The populace is well cared for and provisioned sufficiently to outlast the duration of negotiations for such an agreement.

As to His Royal Highness of the Azclaxcans, we are deeply touched by the plight suffered by his people at the hand of Mardier. Should any medical aid, supplies, or advisors be desirable, Corrington will be happy to oblige. Should any Corlander actions have caused reason for hate, we are more than willing to address these and compensate for any proven damages by Corlander citizens. Simply call for a diplomatic meeting, and we shall participate.

Your humble servant,

Don Isaac Montoya

Consul

To his Highness, the Prince of Garvey, in response to a possible request for surrender.

Spoiler

Nuts!

Major William Bradley

29 minutes ago, Bregir said:

First, however, I wish to inquire whether we are to assume that official negotiations are to be conducted with an Eslandian Prince of Garvey, or with Representatives of the numerous republican councils of Eslandola.

All official negotiations should be conducted with a representative of Eslandola's Continental Council.

-Willem Guilder, of Eslandola's Continental Council

Just now, Capt Wolf said:

All official negotiations should be conducted with a representative of Eslandola's Continental Council.

-Willem Guilder, of Eslandola's Continental Council

I figured ;) However, IC, Montoya had to ask! :P

(Also, I am working on the official reply as we speak. Unfortunately, I don't have time to present it with a build for now, but I like your idea of doing so whenever possible, and Montoya and Guilder should probably meet. Anyways, reply underway! ;)) 

Just now, Bregir said:

I figured ;) However, IC, Montoya had to ask! :P

(Also, I am working on the official reply as we speak. Unfortunately, I don't have time to present it with a build for now, but I like your idea of doing so whenever possible, and Montoya and Guilder should probably meet. Anyways, reply underway! ;)) 

Cool. Thanks for the update.

To Consul Don Isaac Montoya,

As William Guilder already responded, all official negotiations will be conducted with a representative of Eslandola's Continental Council. I am member ot the Colonial Council, but not a member of the Continental Council.

The said "assessment" was simply to show how foolish it is to deny Eslandola the access to their own (legal) settlement. It was not a request for surrender, nor a threat.

My diplomatic advisor his feelings are a bit hurt, and thus he would like to point you at some quotes in the works of your officers:

Out of some sad form of pity, Captain Mesabi had donated half a doubloon to the Mardien Defense fund.

Dirk has offered him a generous commission to go to the Isle de Medio with gifts for Captain Lorenzini, and a letter requesting observer status.

"I am to remain here until you have verified the information. If it proves incorrect, you need not pay me. If however it proves solid, I will rely on your honour as gentlemen to honour our bargain"

With that the negotiation began in earnest. A suitable figure was agreed on (strictly confidential of course!), and Major Modignani left to find accommodation after handing over a rough map.

It is true that Corrington did not participate in military action itself, still they funded Mardier. My advisors name is William Ontop by the way.

It was wrong to call Corrington an ally of Mardier. If we really thought this was the case, the Eslandolan response would have been much more hostile. But funding a nation and then afterwards saying you are protecting its citizens against the former nation is dual.

We are well aware who Captain Lorenzini is, as he made himself a note-worthy enemy of Eslandola during the war. But as long as he can proof he hasn't participated at the human genocide himself, we respect him as previous enemy and we would have been more than delighted to let him become an Eslandolan Citizen. Brave and cunning people like him are more than needed in everyone's army. So I will ask the Eslandolan Council to make Captain Lorenzini an Eslandolan Citizen with full rights, in charge of Malto (as Eslandolan settlement). We do appreciate your effort to protect Malto against plundering and chaos, and I can agree that as long as there is no stable government established by Eslandola, Corrington troops can keep helping establish law and order.

The status of (Nova) Malto should be clear. It is a legal Eslandolan settlement and it will always be a part of the Eslandolan Empire. So I can't really understand how Eslandolan troops are considered to be foreign troops?  

MAESTRO will make America Lakor great again, and my batallion arrived today to aid the troops who stayed there. It will take a while before Lakor is as flourishing as it was in its Pre-Mardier days. The cautiousness and negative feelings towards Corrington (and Oleon for that matter) will fade away over time as it was not you who raided their villages, but they do blame you for funding Mardier.

As a last thing, I would like to confess that the reaction of Eslandola might have been overwhelming, but I do hope you see that if Mardier, Oleon or whoever suddenly marches in into one of your legal settlements and declares the settlement to be independent and unwelcome for Corrington, you would have reacted the same, if not worse. If it was not Corrington who did this bold move, Eslandola would have declared war to protect its territory. So thanks to our fantastic relations (in the past and hopefully in the future as well), war has been avoided.

Lord Maximilian Damaximus
Prince of Garvey
Eslandolan Colonial Council member for the Prio Seas Region

Edited by Maxim I

14 hours ago, Bregir said:

To his Highness, the Prince of Garvey, in response to a possible request for surrender.

Hide contents

Nuts!

Major William Bradley

This one is my favorite ! :grin:

Edited by Professor Thaum

1 hour ago, Professor Thaum said:

This one is my favorite ! :grin:

Me too!

Can we expect to see General Patton Sir Montoya leading a charge of cavalry to the rescue of Major Bradley?:rofl:

On 28/6/2017 at 9:38 AM, Maxim I said:

To Consul Don Isaac Montoya,

As William Guilder already responded, all official negotiations will be conducted with a representative of Eslandola's Continental Council. I am member ot the Colonial Council, but not a member of the Continental Council.

The said "assessment" was simply to show how foolish it is to deny Eslandola the access to their own (legal) settlement. It was not a request for surrender, nor a threat.

My diplomatic advisor his feelings are a bit hurt, and thus he would like to point you at some quotes in the works of your officers:

• Out of some sad form of pity, Captain Mesabi had donated half a doubloon to the Mardien Defense fund.
  • Dirk has offered him a generous commission to go to the Isle de Medio with gifts for Captain Lorenzini, and a letter requesting observer status.
  • "I am to remain here until you have verified the information. If it proves incorrect, you need not pay me. If however it proves solid, I will rely on your honour as gentlemen to honour our bargain"

With that the negotiation began in earnest. A suitable figure was agreed on (strictly confidential of course!), and Major Modignani left to find accommodation after handing over a rough map.

It is true that Corrington did not participate in military action itself, still they funded Mardier. My advisors name is William Ontop by the way.

It was wrong to call Corrington an ally of Mardier. If we really thought this was the case, the Eslandolan response would have been much more hostile. But funding a nation and then afterwards saying you are protecting its citizens against the former nation is dual.

We are well aware who Captain Lorenzini is, as he made himself a note-worthy enemy of Eslandola during the war. But as long as he can proof he hasn't participated at the human genocide himself, we respect him as previous enemy and we would have been more than delighted to let him become an Eslandolan Citizen. Brave and cunning people like him are more than needed in everyone's army. So I will ask the Eslandolan Council to make Captain Lorenzini an Eslandolan Citizen with full rights, in charge of Malto (as Eslandolan settlement). We do appreciate your effort to protect Malto against plundering and chaos, and I can agree that as long as there is no stable government established by Eslandola, Corrington troops can keep helping establish law and order.

The status of (Nova) Malto should be clear. It is a legal Eslandolan settlement and it will always be a part of the Eslandolan Empire. So I can't really understand how Eslandolan troops are considered to be foreign troops?  

MAESTRO will make America Lakor great again, and my batallion arrived today to aid the troops who stayed there. It will take a while before Lakor is as flourishing as it was in its Pre-Mardier days. The cautiousness and negative feelings towards Corrington (and Oleon for that matter) will fade away over time as it was not you who raided their villages, but they do blame you for funding Mardier.

As a last thing, I would like to confess that the reaction of Eslandola might have been overwhelming, but I do hope you see that if Mardier, Oleon or whoever suddenly marches in into one of your legal settlements and declares the settlement to be independent and unwelcome for Corrington, you would have reacted the same, if not worse. If it was not Corrington who did this bold move, Eslandola would have declared war to protect its territory. So thanks to our fantastic relations (in the past and hopefully in the future as well), war has been avoided.

Prince of Garvey
Eslandolan Colonial Council member for the Prio Seas Region

"Darn, my letter will have missed Don Montoya as he is now on the island. Messenger, send a new copy to Don Montoya wherever he may be!"

To Consul Isaac Montoya,

It appears my letter will have crossed you on your journey to our island. I know you are very busy with the negotations, but I also heard some accusations you made during the negotations, that had been explained in my letter.

Again, I don't doubt the noble cause of Corrington to help the people from Malto, but if it turns out that Nova Malto is nothing more then a rebellion against Eslandola (if King's Harbour would declare its own independence, you would call it a rebellion, wouldn't you?), than I really wonder if Corrington hasn't broken the anti-agression pact it signed with Eslandola on the very same day. Supporting rebels and sending troops to the defence of the rebelling city, is an act of aggression.
But this is al theoretically, isn't it? All Captain Lorenzini, as you said an honourable man, wants is safety and stability for its people, something Eslandola offers to all its citizens...

And as I believe the words of a nation I believer are allies of MAESTRO (due the alliance we have with MAESTRO COR) are true, I vouch for Captain Lorenzini towards my fellow Eslandolans. He has my word that he will be safe in every corner of Eslandola as a citizen of Eslandola.

Prince of Garvey
Eslandola Colonianl Council member for the Prio Seas Region

@Bregir

Edited by Maxim I

Dear sir, 

Your letter has been received, but in it, I find no proof of any alliance or aiding of Mardier, but the half dubloon(!) offered by Captain Mesabi. If such quibbles is not below the threshold of what Eslandola considers relevant, I shall hereby denounce that offering as contrary to official Corlander policy. However, no court in Corrington will sit for such a small amount. 

As to the payment made to Mardier regarding information of a native settlement on Cascadia, that is internal Corlander policy, regarding Corlander territory, and is entirely unrelated to the war. It no more violates our neutrality in the conflict than does sending observers to both sides of the conflict. 

As to alleged accusations made in my communications, I am more than willing to substantiate or entirely withdraw them. 

And Signore Lorenzini has no wish to be a pawn in an Eslandian play for power, nor any military ambitions. Eslandian efforts to decide his fate by politics has been an affront to the whole tripartition of power. In the civilised world, the courts determine the guilt or innocence of the accused, not a collection of democrats. 

It saddens me that you should persist with these unsubstantiated accusations and this categorical claim to territory so contrary to the stated policy of your operations. 

Sincerely

Don Isaac Montoya 

Consul 

And now I need to find someone who can translate that text :p