[The Secret of the 8 Provinces - Prelude]

[The Secret of the 8 Provinces - 1st Chapter]

The Secret of the 8 Provinces - 2nd Chapter

The Secret of the 8 Provinces - 3rd Chapter

The Secret of the 8 Provinces - 4th Chapter

The Secret of the 8 Provinces - 5th Chapter

33569010493_6d4ca30e5e_z.jpg

Captain Cookie continued:

The "8 Provinces" was an Eslandolean ship some 50 years ago - aptly named after the 8 Provinces of Eslandola.

35556043196_fbe83541e8_c.jpg

One fine autumn day she was sailing home to Eslandola - and everyone was in a good mood.

The captain, Paul de Ruyter, was famous and experienced.

35520830565_ebb337ce81_z.jpg

His crew was fine and well trained.

And he had a fine first mate he could trust - Mr. Errol.

35353753162_d53abcc53c_z.jpg

And trust was needed for the "8 Provinces" was carrying a precious load: The ship was filled with silver.

There were silver ingots on every deck and the King was anxiously waiting for this valuable transport to come home to port.

35481602836_1616040e5b_z.jpg

The weight of the silver made the "8 Provinces" slower than usual.

So the captain knew that trouble was ahead when the look-out cried: "Pirate sail on the horizon!"

35520825805_8386830096_z.jpg

[to be continued]

I had some trouble myself with the shooting of the ship as it toppled at the beginning of the photo session and was damaged in many ways.:cry_sad:

It took some time to repair the model - and, as often in these cases, I could not detect all defects. So some things are still wrong on the pictures, which is why I could not use too many of them here.

Well, you will see some more in the next chapter.

[edit]

Or just now:

34719736723_e0cd7dc713_c.jpg

35398508931_acecbb45fd_c.jpg

35529178965_dcbd647c2e_c.jpg

Edited by Captain Braunsfeld
addition of pictures

Oh, no!!! (both for the toppled ship AND the dreaded pirates closing in!!) I quite like the ship itself and I find very interesting her brickbuilt sails. And judging by its raised stern and  bow, is she some kind of caravel or galleon?

Very nice colourscheme, and those brick-built sails are fantastic. Looking forward to the continuation of your story!

At last, the legendary 8 Provincien finally joined us, and I must say I'm not disappointed, nice ship, captain Braunsfeld, the colour scheme works very well for a ship of 17th century if I am not mistaken. I like how you've built the bow section, with bricks, and if you have a dozen of these hinge pieces, I think you can use them to make the transition between the prefab piece and the custom-built parts less pronounced, it will be even better.

That's a nice two decker with impressives castles (really impressive)

This ship must be hard to straighten up if he starts to roll, and I notice an hazardous bowsprit's topgallant mast, a well-known topman killer when the ship pitches...

may the winds be at its back...

43 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

may the winds be at its back

Anywhere else and it'll just fall over :pir-laugh:

Hey, another classic Captain B ship! While I think the bow is very rough and could use some hinges or snotted slopes instead, I think its still a great ship in general. Especially the colourscheme really pops - the azure blue works very very well with the brown, and the curve in the gundeck(s) works quite well too! Lastly I must add my usual compliment for the lanterns - gigantic, a bit too far out but amazingly fitting with this style of ship :pir-laugh:

Better don't loose that silver to the pirates! (Well, I hope for them they don't manage to stay right in front of this beast either - that massive block would crush any ship :D) Looking forward to the next one!

7 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Oh, no!!! (both for the toppled ship AND the dreaded pirates closing in!!) I quite like the ship itself and I find very interesting her brickbuilt sails. And judging by its raised stern and  bow, is she some kind of caravel or galleon?

This is some galleon variation :pir-grin:

And I found the brickbuilt sails interesting too - until they started to crash (too top heavy...).

4 hours ago, Elostirion said:

Very nice colourscheme, and those brick-built sails are fantastic. Looking forward to the continuation of your story!

Thanks. You will see the 8 Provinces in action!

4 hours ago, Bodi said:

At last, the legendary 8 Provincien finally joined us, and I must say I'm not disappointed, nice ship, captain Braunsfeld, the colour scheme works very well for a ship of 17th century if I am not mistaken. I like how you've built the bow section, with bricks, and if you have a dozen of these hinge pieces, I think you can use them to make the transition between the prefab piece and the custom-built parts less pronounced, it will be even better.

Thanks - yes, it is an "old" ship, which you would not build this way nowadays.

And your comments about the bow are helpful. That would make the whole thing look better.

My key desire with this ship was to have that space at the rear where the captain can step out of his cabin and look at the sea - in privacy.

(There must be a naval term for it - can anybody help out?)

56 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

That's a nice two decker with impressives castles (really impressive)

This ship must be hard to straighten up if he starts to roll, and I notice an hazardous bowsprit's topgallant mast, a well-known topman killer when the ship pitches...

may the winds be at its back...

What you describe reminds me of what happened when the ship toppled during the photosession... :pir-laugh:

1 minute ago, Legostone said:

Anywhere else and it'll just fall over :pir-laugh:

Hey, another classic Captain B ship! While I think the bow is very rough and could use some hinges or snotted slopes instead, I think its still a great ship in general. Especially the colourscheme really pops - the azure blue works very very well with the brown, and the curve in the gundeck(s) works quite well too! Lastly I must add my usual compliment for the lanterns - gigantic, a bit too far out but amazingly fitting with this style of ship :pir-laugh:

Better don't loose that silver to the pirates! (Well, I hope for them they don't manage to stay right in front of this beast either - that massive block would crush any ship :D) Looking forward to the next one!

Thanks - well, I love these "over the top" lanterns :pir_laugh2:

And I think with this model I paid more attention to the colour scheme than to the bow ... :pir-look:

Great ship! :thumbup: Yes, she may be a bit top-heavy, but I like the lines, and she has character. Good colors, and wonderful detailing. I really like the brickbuilt sails; too bad they're problematic. She was definitely worth the story build-up, and I hope she can find a way to out smart the pirate (I was going to say outrun, but that won't be possible).

17 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Great ship! :thumbup: Yes, she may be a bit top-heavy, but I like the lines, and she has character. Good colors, and wonderful detailing. 

Keep in mind she's more than 50 years old. Although there aren't real anachronisms in a fantasy world, I assume her design to be a bit outdated nowadays.

I really enjoy the colour scheme! It works very well and looks realistic, and it's always good to see ways to avoid solid brown vessels.

19 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Great ship! :thumbup: Yes, she may be a bit top-heavy, but I like the lines, and she has character. Good colors, and wonderful detailing. I really like the brickbuilt sails; too bad they're problematic. She was definitely worth the story build-up, and I hope she can find a way to out smart the pirate (I was going to say outrun, but that won't be possible).

Thank you.   "out smart the pirate"?   Didn't I mention the "wreck of the 8 provinces" in the previous chapter?  :pir_laugh2:

I was looking at the photo montage of picture 1 again and it is pretty bad, isn't it?  The ship looks like she is flying.  What do I need to modify to make this look better?

1 hour ago, Jacob Nion said:

Keep in mind she's more than 50 years old. Although there aren't real anachronisms in a fantasy world, I assume her design to be a bit outdated nowadays.

I really enjoy the colour scheme! It works very well and looks realistic, and it's always good to see ways to avoid solid brown vessels.

:sweet:

Yepp, 50 years old. I was thinking of a distance of 2 generations for the purpose of the story. But we'll come to that.

2 minutes ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

The ship looks like she is flying.  What do I need to modify to make this look better?

I'd make the waterline a bit higher, perhaps at the lowest dashed blue line on the hull. And add some waves from the ship's bow cutting through the water if you can.

1 hour ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

I was looking at the photo montage of picture 1 again and it is pretty bad, isn't it?  The ship looks like she is flying.  What do I need to modify to make this look better?

You need a different background for one thing, your water is out of scale to the ship and the lighting doesn't match. These are things we don't always think of but the unconcious eye sees it as an error and the correction is "obviously, it's just flying over the water" is our mind's fix. :laugh:

Once you get the right scale and lighting image, like Capt Wolf mentioned you need to really get the ship embedded into the water with some more editing. Think layers!

Excellent ship Captain!  Great colors, the light blue looks fantastic!  So do the sails, and quite a nice collection of silver ingots... I sure hope the pirates don't end up with it! 

On 26.6.2017 at 9:34 PM, Capt Wolf said:

I'd make the waterline a bit higher, perhaps at the lowest dashed blue line on the hull. And add some waves from the ship's bow cutting through the water if you can.

I did that.  Improved picture has been included here (and has replaced the first version)

Thanks!:sweet:

On 26.6.2017 at 10:41 PM, Darkdragon said:

You need a different background for one thing, your water is out of scale to the ship and the lighting doesn't match. These are things we don't always think of but the unconcious eye sees it as an error and the correction is "obviously, it's just flying over the water" is our mind's fix. :laugh:

Once you get the right scale and lighting image, like Capt Wolf mentioned you need to really get the ship embedded into the water with some more editing. Think layers!

Ok, I did not find a new background but I have re-scaled the water.

I need to find some decent pictures of the high seas....

On 27.6.2017 at 5:38 PM, Kai NRG said:

Excellent ship Captain!  Great colors, the light blue looks fantastic!  So do the sails, and quite a nice collection of silver ingots... I sure hope the pirates don't end up with it! 

Thanks - and, yes the light blue looks great.  But it is "standard blue" in fact :pir-cry_sad:     :pir_laugh2::pir-laugh:

18 minutes ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

I did that.  Improved picture has been included here (and has replaced the first version)

Thanks!:sweet:

Glad to help. The improved picture looks much better. Good job! :thumbup:

20 minutes ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Thanks - and, yes the light blue looks great.  But it is "standard blue" in fact :pir-cry_sad:     :pir_laugh2::pir-laugh:

:pir-look: :pir-laugh:  I see that now... they do look light blue in one picture at least though. :pir-grin:  Looks great anyways!

Fantastic ship, Captain B, lovely colors and color-blocking! :pir-sweet:  The tilted sides, impressive fore and aft castles, and those sails look great as well, and the walkway/balcony on the back and those lanterns are excellent details too! :thumbup:  I think it's your most impressive and best ship that I've seen yet!  Looking forward to seeing what happens next! (Ok,.maybe not :pir-look: :pir-grin:)! :pir_laugh2:

On 30.6.2017 at 2:50 AM, Garmadon said:

Fantastic ship, Captain B, lovely colors and color-blocking! :pir-sweet:  The tilted sides, impressive fore and aft castles, and those sails look great as well, and the walkway/balcony on the back and those lanterns are excellent details too! :thumbup:  I think it's your most impressive and best ship that I've seen yet!  Looking forward to seeing what happens next! (Ok,.maybe not :pir-look: :pir-grin:)! :pir_laugh2:

:blush:  Thanks.

Seems I should give the ship a chance to further improve (as suggested above).

So far I have already swapped the sails between the two masts. Looks better!