After my Rainbow Wave it was time for something different. Inspired by the Paternoster in the Wall-E movie I wanted to create something like that as a LEGO GBC. I kept the in box as low as possible for reasons I will reveal later. As a result of that the ball pickup after the ball release from the buckets is just 1 brick high. Hope you like it:

34681638733_90135f3aa8_b.jpg

34681627553_2f00d1b382_b.jpg

35491555165_bfff614bce_b.jpg

Edited by Berthil
typos

Fantastic! I really like it a lot! It looks like you plan to attach something more in front of the module (pins) - what is it? The gondolas system is really unique. What tilts them over on the bottom?

Edited by MajklSpajkl

3 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Fantastic! I really like it a lot! It looks like you plan to attach something more in front of the module (pins) - what is it? The gondolas system is really unique. What tilts them over on the bottom?

Thanks! Good observation, there will be a plateau of 120 by 80 cm attached with a Powerfunctions GBC Ball Recycyler, that's a tracked vehicle with which children can collect balls and push them to the Paternoster. All for Lego World Netherlands in October. Below a picture. The gondolas (nice word) are just dragged over a series of small LEGO wheels to tilt so de balls drop out.

34215237420_37eefa538c_b.jpg

Edited by Berthil

Wow.. very nicely built! 

nice, interesting, unique mechanisms - the reason for attaching the gondolas at 2 points is for stability? attached via a single point on the tracks would cause them to angle the individual tread, I'm guessing?

Quite a monochrome experience, compared to your last one!  

Well done!

Just now, RohanBeckett said:

nice, interesting, unique mechanisms - the reason for attaching the gondolas at 2 points is for stability? attached via a single point on the tracks would cause them to angle the individual tread, I'm guessing?

Thanks! Yes stability and also I wanted to get some width in the gondolas as in the Wall-E movie. A GBC has to be able to handle 1 ball per second, with a smaller gondola with less balls speeds would also get high I think.

it's a very nice motion to watch.. as it passes over the top!  I know exactly the scene you're referring to!

which reminds me.. I was thinking of turning my Lego Idea's Wall-E into a Ball Contraption.. haven't quite figured how to... was thinking of balls filling him up... and when nearly full.. doing a little wobble/shake, and then opening the front, and they all spill out!

6 minutes ago, RohanBeckett said:

which reminds me.. I was thinking of turning my Lego Idea's Wall-E into a Ball Contraption.. haven't quite figured how to... was thinking of balls filling him up... and when nearly full.. doing a little wobble/shake, and then opening the front, and they all spill out!

Nice Idea! I first wanted Wall-E to take the balls out of the gondola's but after a few attempts I have given up on that idea. Like your idea I was thinking of using Wall-E to take the balls in his belly, close the ramp as he is compressing the balls into waste and then spit them out again :)
Ideas enough, making them come alive as a GBC is difficult. If all else fails I Iet Wall-E 'drive' the Paternoster as he was operating a Dutch street organ for Lego World.
I also want to do something with the white 'helm' that 'steers' the spaceship in my next GBC. That shape is very suitable for GBC.  

Edited by Berthil

Another great GBC from your mind/hands.    I like the industrial look with the big "tandwielen" + chains. I'm sure it will be a success at Legoworld NL.

That is really quite a nice GBC! Very clever design, enjoyable to watch.

Thanks for sharing this.

Andy D

You know, it would have been nice to define the term, but I digress. A paternoster is a type of elevator that uses a loop of cars like this, and allows people to get on and off continuously. However, because it does not stop, it can be quite dangerous. Thus, it is rarely seen anymore.

So, where would such a thing appear in Wall-e? It's actually the revolving racks in his truck. I've seen racks like this, particularly at Home Depot, they store wire and carpet spools on those things.

Background aside, this is really cool, although I think my favorite parts is the lift chain at the output end.

Hello berthil, will you give a notice for this super module? I really want to integrate it into my gbc loop. thank you in advance.

Wauw, didn't know it was out there :)
Even with latest mods.
Thanks for sharing.

7 minutes ago, Ankoku said:

Spotted out in the wild:

man you are fast.

Was currently writing my comment to this thread. Here some pictures.

800x654.jpg

800x728.jpg

800x648.jpg

rermoved the chain from gears

800x600.jpg

Sorry about that. I tend to hold off when it is a new design of GBC, to see if the creator posts it.

It will be nice to have this appear in more GBC line-ups.

@Berthil i would really like to build this module, and im waiting for @dunes to finish his file, but is it possible you could post some more photos of this module without the belts or the buckets? i would like to see how the internals are made.

Thanks

Aron

To give a small update on the Paternoster. I had build this module as the Wall-E Paternoster where he keeps his 'collectables' and with low ball entry for the Ball Catcher where Wall-E must collect the GBC balls.
But it was so popular at LEGO World that I got the request to NOT use this module anymore because the line of waiting kids was blocking the pathway and the organization got remarks from the Fire Department that blocking of pathways is not permitted. There is no room for an organized queue, space is limited in the Fan Zone.

Latest version with Collectables can be seen on the picture below which was a workaround for not being able to use the Ball Catcher.
It's no problem that balls cannot enter the carriers because of the collectables, they fall down on the floor which collects the balls as already designed in the very first version of the Paternoster.

43357744265_0a60fbc02f_c.jpg

I'm hesitant to take it apart but will do my best to take pictures of the internals this weekend as I'm setting up the temporary studio for a new but very simple GBC module.

The Paternoster (without collectables) with Wall-E as Ball Catcher can be seen here at start of the video and more at 2:15
Since then it has been updated with the thicker tracks as the thinner tracks sometimes snapped.

@dunes if you finished your digital file just let me know and I will look over it if you like.