Michele

NASA sets - Proportions

Hello, with the release of the Apollo Saturn V set, a new era of Space sets began Looking backwards, I think if older sets can be make a perfect companion to the newer collection. Well, despite to the age, the 7470 Space Shuttle Discovery has the correct proportions (1:110) for the nanofigures. And it's so!  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMiw__2naVIWXh6QTdBM3JwREE/view?usp=sharing Now, the question is: can, or would, Lego make sets in that proportions to make a great space NASA collection?

MOC page of my 7470 set: http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/131239

Edited by Michele
More images, more details

Hi Michele, welcome to eurobricks!

That's a nice find, I always regretted missing out on 7470.  I think the 10213 Shuttle Adventure (which I did get :sweet:) is similarly sized despite its inclusion of minifigures, and it offered a complete shuttle launch stack.  

I'm not sure Lego would ever make anything else to the same specific scale though.  The shuttle and the Saturn V make impressively large display pieces at 1:110 size, but what else could they build? The International Space Station would be ~1m long at 1:110, but would be way too fragile to hold together (I think they actually designed one and sent it up to the real ISS, where it was built for the first and only time in orbit, since it would collapse under its own weight here on Earth).  Other NASA rockets are relatively obscure or would be tiny at this scale - my own MOC of the Mercury rockets is a simple stack of 2x2 round bricks.  

Also, I'm not sure there would be the interest - taking my Mercury MOCs as an example, they've dropped right off the board's front page with barely a comment.  I think that the Space Shuttle and Apollo moon rocket are the only real space vehicles to have ever truly captured the public's imagination.

Edited by NathanR

My dream is over in few hours ^^'. But NathanR, you are right. Maybe the future comes with new opportunities to see and build real space vehicles - with good proportions :) Meanwhile my shuttle needs boosters!

How about SKYLAB from the 1970's?   It is not as big as the International Space Station.

3 hours ago, MoppeW40k said:

reddit user saxus has a scaled version of Skylab (and quite a few other rockets

Wow, that's a beautiful collection!  Might have to borrow some of the designs... 

Maybe a SpaceX Falcon 9 / Falcon Heavy could be a good idea? It's very popullar, and the landing functions would make it something new (not just another rocket).

On 21 de junio de 2017 at 9:13 PM, NathanR said:

Also, I'm not sure there would be the interest - taking my Mercury MOCs as an example, they've dropped right off the board's front page with barely a comment.  I think that the Space Shuttle and Apollo moon rocket are the only real space vehicles to have ever truly captured the public's imagination.

Hello Michele, 

I really like your version of the windshield!

Unfortunately, the link to the MOC page is not working. Could you please repare it? 

Thank you in advance