TechnicSummse

Current limit on old 9V battery boxes

40 minutes ago, LegoTT said:

I'm very interested by these tests.

How soft are the wires now ? If they are, maybe it is a good idea to add some another wire.

Does the 9V battery is very hot ?

Do you smell a scent when you open the BB ?

English is not my native language

The bateery doesn't seem to care at all, but the buggy motor got hot. The wire is one of last ones produced , after they changed the rubber on them to a glossy type (mine comes from 2006), no texture or temperature changes after tests

English is neither my native language :laugh:

@Marxpek Will do more tests :thumbup: , I just thought that old 9V lightbulbs take big quantity of current. And yes , the battery itself  has protection

EDIT:

Oh My gosh....

Just tested it , the buggy motor protection kicked in after being loaded and the rest of motors increased their speed !!!! And the battery didn't care at all!

Edited by LXF

Just now, LXF said:

I just thought that old 9V lightbulbs take big quantity of current

Compared to the LED's they do, but it is still a tiny light, and the wires indeed are important, the old non glossy type cracks easily now after all these years, NEVER use them with buggy motors, or just never use em at all, they will short out someday.

I would love to see another test, curious about the capabilities, but maybe try other tests with multiple XL or L motor, just not to risk the buggy motors, since it did get hot.

Either way i am already impressed by the capabilities of these batteries, just not interested in the 8.4volts, do they make the 9.6v version aswell? (rarely seen but they do exist)

9 minutes ago, Marxpek said:

Compared to the LED's they do, but it is still a tiny light, and the wires indeed are important, the old non glossy type cracks easily now after all these years, NEVER use them with buggy motors, or just never use em at all, they will short out someday.

I would love to see another test, curious about the capabilities, but maybe try other tests with multiple XL or L motor, just not to risk the buggy motors, since it did get hot.

Either way i am already impressed by the capabilities of these batteries, just not interested in the 8.4volts, do they make the 9.6v version aswell? (rarely seen but they do exist)

Well i think its hard to discuss what is cheating and what isnt...

At the end... cheating is using any equipement or technique the opponent didnt want or could not use...

In our case, this could include removing thermal protection...

...this could include using NI-ZN- AA-batteries (1,6-1,8V)...

...this could include using 2 RC-Units...

... this could include using different wheels...

... as long as there are no clear rules, you cannot say what cheating is, and what is not ;)

Back to the topic... i have read some google-entrys... and it seems the 9v-blocks can deliver something like 3A or even more... well for sure... just a short time because of its capacity ;)

And so i can conclude?: No one has testet the OLD protection element so far? If it was needet to use the 9V-box, you just removed the protection, or just used different battery-boxes?

10 minutes ago, TechnicSummse said:

Well i think its hard to discuss what is cheating and what isnt..

an absolute fact: for my personal speed record attempts it means: build something that is built with only Lego, the Lego way. 

21 minutes ago, TechnicSummse said:

No one has testet the OLD protection element so far?

I will try to do this later today, maybe @LXF can beat me to it ;)

After this thread everyrthing now makes sense. I tried usig buggy motor in a MOC with this battery box, but it shortened out too fast. The protection element is quite sensitive (or maybe my battery is too much) so I would remove it , since it is very easy to do , you just need a small flathead screwdriver for pulling out two small tabs and metal parts.

@TechnicSummse If I were you I would remove the protection element . From what I guess you want to use it in a RC model?

@Marxpek Unfortuately I don't own the XL or L motors :sceptic:

38 minutes ago, TechnicSummse said:

No one has testet the OLD protection element so far?

I did a fast test without any video, within 2 seconds of stalling a xl motor it kicks in and it seems weak driving it (battery isn't new either), it kicks on a buggy motor almost instantly with some load (a wheel and a finger lightly touching it) the protection is obviously on a low current setting, makes sense since it was made for small lights and sirens and the monorail motor, not the most power consuming stuff.

i let me know if you want me to try anything else.

Amazed by that battery! totally off topic in the meanwhile but..good test, you can clearly see the other motors slowing down when you stall the buggy motor and them speeding up again once the resistor fully kicks in.

how long can you run this rig on the battery? 2 minutes? :D (since you put this up on your main youtube channel, maybe mention you removed the thermal protection on the battery box)

@Marxpek Well, it lasts quite a lot , I used it in my Formula Future and hadn't had to stop because of overheating ( roughly 20 mins of filming)  The battery box hacking is mentioned in description. 

37 minutes ago, LXF said:

and hadn't had to stop because of overheating

wasn't looking for overheating, more looking for the true capacity 2000, mah seems a straight up lie looking at what is on the market.

5 hours ago, LXF said:

@TechnicSummse If I were you I would remove the protection element . From what I guess you want to use it in a RC model?

Well...yes, i am building a rc-model.... to break speed records... like MarxPek. With my latest 2motor-model i could break all records until this day.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMi6q4lFqjFCODHkZHmLHeg

Even MarxPek's first 4 motor-record. But now he suplys his 4 buggy motors with 2 RC-units... and i am looking for a different way to support my coming soon 4 motor-version. 

I dont like to spend that much money and i also dont like using 2 RC-units in the same model. They are just to heavy, its hard to get a nice looking shape with 2 of them... and the biggest point is... i dont like to build in stuff wich will not be used at the end...(using 2 RC-units would mean 1 unused servo and 2 unused aux-outputs)

But again it seem to look like the RC-unit would be the only real way to power the RC-motors...

By the way...there are a few models out there... using this:

As you can see... the 9V batteries are really powerful, and also can support a few motors for some time. This is known so far... but again... this is not 100%Lego... i would defenetly prefer to remove the protection Element in the original Lego Box, instead of using this one. But it seems there are people buying this...

Edited by TechnicSummse