kbalage

Darth's Angels - Star Wars Technic motorcycles - video/photo instructions for all three

I'd like to share with you my biggest project so far - Darth's Angels. I had the idea to create custom motorcycles for the Star Wars buildable figures ever since my son got his first set. As I realized the Stormtrooper fits perfectly on the 42036 Street Motorcycle, especially on the B model. That was the first step, and after a few weeks of building, refining and constructing the photo scene finally I managed to create the shot I imagined:

P4280840_EB_ret.jpg

As always the aim was not only to build the sets but to set up the desired perfect photo scene. For this lava shot I had to collect around ~6000 round plates and pins, and also figure out how to properly do the lighting and the smoke, all in a single shot without Photoshop :)

Three custom motorcycles were created for Darth Vader and the two Stormtroopers. I wanted to add an extra twist to the build so all of the motorcycles are using pieces only from specific sets.

Darth Vader's bike - 42036 Street Motorcycle + 42050 Drag Racer

P6041383_EB_ret.jpg

First Stormtrooper bike - 42036 Street Motorcycle + 42039 24 Hours Race Car

P6041437_EB_ret.jpg

Second Stormtrooper bike - 42036 Street Motorcycle + 42045 Hydroplane Racer + 42047 Police Interceptor

P6041444_EB_ret.jpg

A video presentation of the motorcycles:

More photos of the gang - with a special guest:

P6041397_EB_ret.jpg

P4090017_EB_ret.jpg

P4090023_EB_ret.jpg

P4090019_EB_ret.jpg

P6041405_EB_ret.jpg

P6041414_EB_ret.jpg

P6041434_EB_ret.jpg

P4090038_EB_ret.jpg

P6041414_EB_ret.jpg

The full blogpost: http://racingbrick.com/2017/06/darths-angels/

Edited by kbalage

This whole project is amazing, and I love all the aspects of it.

46 minutes ago, kbalage said:

using pieces only from specific sets.

That just makes these creations more incredible. But that may just be me because I'm a fan of combo models. :wink:

50 minutes ago, kbalage said:

all in a single shot without Photoshop :)

That's very cool, that this is all real. I'm blown away.

I love the style of all of these, and I have to say my favorite is the...

52 minutes ago, kbalage said:

....second Stormtrooper bike - 42036 Street Motorcycle + 42045 Hydroplane Racer + 42047 Police Interceptor

Also one other request, is a photo teardown possible? Not step by step instructions, but a couple pics here and there if you take it apart?

I didn't noticed motorcycles itself - how they built etc. , just enjoyed pictures.

but noticed, that motorcycles seems too small for those guys.

Thank you very much guys, glad you like the photos (and the bikes) :) I'll try to do my best to provide some photos of the teardown. I don't think I'll have time to make LDD files, probably a video.

@Jurss - it's interesting as the sitting position and the arm/leg position and length makes them fit pretty well. Darth Vader is the tallest one that's why he has the longest bike :)

Girl in black latex pants is :thumbup:

10 hours ago, kbalage said:

it's interesting as the sitting position and the arm/leg position and length makes them fit pretty well.

In fact, I just made some calculations, and in fact those wheels are proportionally bigger than in real. I don't know why, but for me they still seem like smaller ... 

@rm8 I thought she has black leather pants :D Thinking about making an additional photoshoot with that character ;)

@Jurss the perspective can be tricky, and the characters also have a little bit weird proportions. For the girl I actually had to replace a lot of the original parts as the movement of the arms and legs were pretty limited.

Great idea, awesome execution. Maybe more work on the figures (not leaving them stock - especially the girl - would be nice, but not necessary.)

(The photo with Vader sitting on his bike also made me think about it more, and inspired me to make a drawing loosely inspired by it. I think that it should be here too.)

Spoiler
Hey, where is the trench?

@HorcikDesigns thank you! To be honest I was not focusing on the figures, but actually the girl had quite a few changes. Almost the whole skeleton was replaced as the original joints were pretty limited, and she also got some high heels :)

Somehow I missed this when first posted - excellent work, especially the photography and concept.  Will Rey get her own bike?

6 hours ago, JGW3000 said:

Somehow I missed this when first posted - excellent work, especially the photography and concept.  Will Rey get her own bike?

Thank you! Not sure about Rey, I'll need to look for new sets that would match her outfit and can be used for another combined bike. To be honest I'm not a motorcycle guy at all, I just had this Darth's Angels concept that I wanted to make so I had to create the bikes for it :)

Cool ! I have already all parts to build it in red. 

By the way, sw builtable figures suit perfectly on the 42063 b model.