CopMike

LEGO Rebrick contest - Dream Skylines!

From TLG:

In our latest LEGO Rebrick contest, we ask participants to build a LEGO Skyline in the same size and scale of the LEGO Architecture Skyline series of a place close to their heart – this can be a favorite city, the town in which they grew up, or even a fantasy city of their own creation.

One grand prize winner will receive an assortment of LEGO Architecture sets, including: 
21026 Venice 
21027 Berlin 
21028 New York City 
21032 Sydney 
21033 Chicago 
21034 London 
21019 The Eiffel Tower 
21024 Louvre 
21029 Buckingham Palace 
21031 Burj Khalifa 
21030 United States Capitol 
21035 Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum®

Two runner ups will receive all current LEGO Architecture sets, which includes 21026 Venice, 21027 Berlin, 21028 New York City, 21032 Sydney, 21033 Chicago, and 21034 London.

Submit your entry before August 10th at 10:00 a.m. EST! Find out more at:
http://rebrick.it/dreamskylines

Please share this contest with your friends and fellow RLUG members, and let me know if you have any questions!

So... the rules state:

Use of LEGO Digital Designer to create your entry is allowed, along with photo editing software or adding effects to your entry

Does anyone know if that also includes other digital software such as LDraw or stud.io?

EDIT: I found some extra info in the 'legal section:

You can enter contests in three ways:

1. Enter by building a physical original LEGO model and take a photo or video of your entry and upload it to the Platform. 
2. Enter using LEGO Digital Designer (LDD). See how to use LDD in section ii. 
3. Create a digital model using a third-party LEGO rendering software and upload screenshots to the Platform.

So, I guess that includes LDraw right?

Now this should be fun. I've constructed skylines of Israel and St. Louis, Missouri. I haven't entered a Rebrick contest in a while, and I noticed they actually have a waiting period before entries appear on the site (before, they would appear instantly).

22 hours ago, legolijntje said:

So... the rules state:

Does anyone know if that also includes other digital software such as LDraw or stud.io?

EDIT: I found some extra info in the 'legal section:

So, I guess that includes LDraw right?

Yes. TLG was fine with LDraw models for Porsche Technic contest. Although there was controversy with digital models as they have received less jury votes. This was due to model using bricks in non-existing colours and it was impossible to check if insides really keep the model as it should. Basically you can build digitally exceptionally good looking model, but it won't work with real bricks.

Looking through the entries, there are some really good ones, some really bad ones.  I like the Rapa Nui one, that was kind of a surprise, Indianapolis, San Francisco, Lisbon, Taipei, and a few others are great to me, I hope TLG can take some of these and make them reality.  Good luck to any EB members who enter.

On 29/06/2017 at 4:15 PM, Herky said:

I like the Rapa Nui one

Thanks, I made that one.
I wasn't gonna try making real skylines because it's really frustrating to build at that scale when you have a model. And the contest allows imaginary skylines, so I believe the best looking ones will be imaginary ones. Sadly, in the comments someone posted this video in which one of the judges says that what he expects to see is real skylines..

The not very well defined rules (or rather, well defined but not well respected) have been a problem for the recent mini building madness contest, as you can read by the comments here. https://www.lego.com/en-us/rebrick/contest-page/contests/mini-modulars
Basically, the big winner (of a great prize) was totally unoriginal & half a copy of existing ones out there, and wasn't respecting the rules either, which pissed of many who had build really original ones.
Can't say that going digital with parts in non-existing colors is a problem though, since I won a prize with digital builds in that contest.
But it's a bit weird because, if you can go fully digital and fully imaginary, it's clearly what will give the best results, so it's a bit unfair to those who won't. But that's only if the rules don't favor real builds of real buildings, and that's the big unknown.
The unoriginality problem will be one in this contest as well, if one of the (probably) dozen of Eiffel Tower or Statue of Liberty wins. Copying or not (2 Eiffel Towers in the contest already share the same base), many entries will probably look the same since there aren't that many ways to skin a Lego cat at this scale. I already count 3 San Francisco bridges as well. What if someone basically mixes the best of existing entries, and wins? It's not gonna end up pretty.

At the end of the day it's only a (fun) contest, though. I think Mini Building Madness was taken more seriously because of the value/rarity of the prizes.

Edited by anothergol