Didumos69

[MOC] 40th anniv. Tiny Tow Truck Tribute - Instructions ready

5 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Thanks! I will certainly make instructions and put them on Rebrickable. Probably a photo sequence. I think all should be finished by the end of next week.

@TechnicRCRacer, @BusterHaus and @Saberwing40k, thanks for the hints! This is certainly going to be useful!
@Saberwing40k, I suppose I can put an axle in the rotatling part. Does the part you use have some kind of anti-slip friction build in?

Great! Thanks! I am looking forward to it.

How close to a 42061 Telehandler C-model did you wind up?

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

1 hour ago, Saberwing40k said:

Yes, those little winches have a built in friction mechanism.

Thanks!

If possible I don't want the winch to rise above the tow-arm. I tried this and it works quite okay. There's a 1x1 round plate inside the toggle joint, which induces some friction on the 8t gear. Still have to see how it works wit a string attached though.

800x450.jpg

20 minutes ago, Andy D said:

How close to a 42061 Telehandler C-model did you wind up?

I have to look into that. I might even change some things and/or colors to make it closer to a c-model, but I'm afraid I will end up using some extra parts.

5 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

I have to look into that. I might even change some things and/or colors to make it closer to a c-model, but I'm afraid I will end up using some extra parts.

A few extra parts, no big deal, close to a C-model is really great!

Andy D

@Saberwing40k, @TechnicRCRacer, @BusterHaus, I think I'm on to my final winch. It's very compact and uses the 2585 string reel drum. It's slightly narrower than 2 studs (it fits inside a 2 studs wide string reel holder), so when it's used inside a toggle joint there's some room for two silicon bands that induce some friction to the reel. The only thing I still need is a string.

800x451.jpg?a=1

800x451.jpg?a=1

800x451.jpg?a=1

Edited by Didumos69

1 hour ago, LvdH said:

Very cute model! I'm surprised how many functions you packed into this little truck.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, LvdH said:

ps: nice to see I'm not the only one who puts bushes in the same position :tongue:

Haha, that's nice indeed! I even tend to think about the orientation of the two thin holes in the bushings body :tongue:!

I studied parts availability a little and I think I will do a blue cabin and a red tow and outriggers in the final model:

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

This little truck just keeps getting better! I'm not sure which I like better, the red or the blue. I may be leaning towards the red, no blue, no red... They are both great!

Andy D

18 minutes ago, Andy D said:

This little truck just keeps getting better! I'm not sure which I like better, the red or the blue. I may be leaning towards the red, no blue, no red... They are both great!

Andy D

Thanks!

I also checked the parts of the 42061 Telehandler, but this can really not be regarded as a 42061 C-model: It has only 9 parts in common out of 141. That could be stretched a little to about 15 by changing colors, but that's it. Sorry @Andy D. I did buy the Telehandler for this project, but mainly for the two new daddd92f8ff8f7a37e7984adeae45381.jpg that I needed.

Edited by Didumos69

54 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

Thanks!

I also checked the parts of the 42061 Telehandler, but this can really not be regarded as a 42061 C-model: It has only 9 parts in common out of 141. That could be stretched a little to about 15 by changing colors, but that's it. Sorry @Andy D. I did buy the Telehandler for this project, but mainly for the two new daddd92f8ff8f7a37e7984adeae45381.jpg that I needed.

Heh, I finished the instructions for my 42061 C-Model over the weekend, I will try to post them today.

Such small scale and so many functions ... the winch solution is impressive :thumbup:

I'm sorry to be that guy , but the color vomit :cry_sad: The frictionless axle with pin are available in light gray and black, both 3l pins and axle+pin with friction are available in black, 3l axle with stop and stud is available in DBG , the half bevel 12t gear is available in black ... sorry ,but imho it would make the truck look MUCH better and less "messy"

2 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Heh, I finished the instructions for my 42061 C-Model over the weekend, I will try to post them today.

Makes me curious! Now that I've got that set, I hereby volunteer for test-driving your instructions :wink:. Btw, I'll get back to your message about instructions soon.

2 hours ago, LXF said:

Such small scale and so many functions ... the winch solution is impressive :thumbup:

I'm sorry to be that guy , but the color vomit :cry_sad: The frictionless axle with pin are available in light gray and black, both 3l pins and axle+pin with friction are available in black, 3l axle with stop and stud is available in DBG , the half bevel 12t gear is available in black ... sorry ,but imho it would make the truck look MUCH better and less "messy"

Thanks! About the color vomit. It's always a matter of taste of course, but I get your point. With this being a 40th anniv. tribute, I decided to use colors for axles and pins etc, that are most common at the present times, so people with relatively new sets - and with the 32523pb11.jpg part - need only add relatively few extra parts.

I'm still waiting for the final parts to arrive. In the meantime I designed myself an ugly vehicle to tow. It has four-wheel steering and articulated suspension :tongue:.

EDIT: Btw, what's wrong with the second image (apart from some wheels not touching the ground properly)?

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

1 hour ago, LXF said:

Very nice build , but because it is so light , it is better to have the HOG on the rear. Sorry, I don't have much yellow

Haha, I can't believe you actually built it :thumbup:. It has one big flaw: Suspension and steering interfere heavily, as you can see in the video, but it seems like fun nevertheless. Thanks!

Edited by Didumos69

32 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

Suspension and steering interfere heavily

I'd call it a "steering twist", like torque twist, but due to steering shaft :wink:

4 hours ago, Void_S said:

I'd call it a "steering twist", like torque twist, but due to steering shaft :wink:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

8 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

I'm still waiting for the final parts to arrive. In the meantime I designed myself an ugly vehicle to tow. It has four-wheel steering and articulated suspension :tongue:.

EDIT: Btw, what's wrong with the second image (apart from some wheels not touching the ground properly)?

Wow! This is really nice! I really like your fun micro builds. Why are you surprised that others will build this? It looks very fun.

Andy D

15 hours ago, Andy D said:

Wow! This is really nice! I really like your fun micro builds. Why are you surprised that others will build this? It looks very fun.

Andy D

Thanks! I wasn't to serious about this one, I just wanted something with steering and suspension to tow. But it turns out more fun than I thought it would.

7 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Thanks! I wasn't to serious about this one, I just wanted something with steering and suspension to tow. But it turns out more fun than I thought it would.

Oh yeah, l've made up my mind... I like the red tow truck best! And the yellow is a good color for  "broke-down".

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy D

I have been waiting endlessly for the blue parts to arrive and even when they did there was one essential part missing. So I decided to stick to the red version. I plan to make photo sequence instructions on Friday morning. For those who can't wait: here's the final LXF-file (note that the pink parts need to be replaced with there new 2-axle counterparts). This is the final video:

Edited by Didumos69

What a great little truck!

Some very interesting parts usage in it too!

The funny thing is, I only discovered this on Rebrickable - I don't know how I missed this topic here...

15 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

What a great little truck!

Some very interesting parts usage in it too!

The funny thing is, I only discovered this on Rebrickable - I don't know how I missed this topic here...

Thanks! I enjoy laying these kind of puzzles. Challenge is to avoid features and functions from interfering.