Didumos69

[MOC] 40th anniv. Tiny Tow Truck Tribute - Instructions ready

As a small summer project I wanted to make a small 40th anniv. tribute model. With the tow truck being an ever-returning story in LEGO (Technic) history (list), there could be no doubt about what kind of vehicle to pick. I will start off with a small tow truck design I have laying around for more than a year, improve it, build it, improve it and make instructions for it.

Features:
  • HoG steering
  • Front suspension: Solid axle
  • Rear suspension: Bogie axles
  • Working tow
  • Working winch
  • Outriggers

Current progress: I added a winch. It's very compact and uses the 2585 string reel drum. It's slightly narrower than 2 studs (it fits inside a 2 studs wide string reel holder), so when it's used inside a toggle joint there's some room for two silicon bands that induce some friction to the reel. The only thing I still need is a string.

800x451.jpg

800x451.jpg

800x451.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Honestly, I was expecting something in a blue color, following to the "tow" word and the current trend :grin:, but this small creature also looks incredible. Especially I like how the suspension for the all axles fits into a such small size, well done! :thumbup:

Nice!

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

history (list), there

there is even one missing - 42008, because it was nammed "Service truck".

Love the scale and the clever functions :) The only thing you forgot is the obligatory crane :grin:

Thanks guys!

4 hours ago, IA creations said:

It is incredibile the space in which you placed that tini steering system

I'm not that happy with the steering yet. It feels quite wobbly.

2 hours ago, kbalage said:

The only thing you forgot is the obligatory crane :grin:

Well, that's the imaginary part :wink:. It's a simplification of the real thing :grin:.

I just made the first prototype (bought myself the new telehandler to get the necessary parts). Turns out the 1L worm gear has a different diameter compared to the 2L worm gear, so I used the old worm gear instead. The steering needs improvement, it feels very wobbly. I might have to sacrifice the front axle suspension...

800x451.jpg

5 minutes ago, BusterHaus said:

Very cute, instructions should take less than 4 months this time. :laugh:

Hahaha!

While I like the idea of this micro build and what you managed to put in it, it looks pretty off to me (just my  opinion, and like some part of the human body, everybody has one sorry). Your micro Porsche and sea plane were awesome, but I don't know for this one. The whole mechanism for the rear makes it look very clunky and out of scale compared to the rest of the model. I understand that perhaps you had the desire to add gears to a Technic MOC, but I'd think the model as a whole would be better off with a "system" approach. With that I mean: ditch all the gears and just have a knob on a friction pin for the car lift. This would also open up space on top for a crane, which could be cooler as a whole? And that combined with the space between the front and rear wheels which screams to me: put something fun here, outriggers perhaps?

I hope this doesn't sound harsh, it's meant as constructive feedback. Do with it what you want :classic:

A beautiful model on a small scale. I like it more than many official 40th anniversary models.
Greetings.

1 hour ago, Appie said:

While I like the idea of this micro build and what you managed to put in it, it looks pretty off to me (just my  opinion, and like some part of the human body, everybody has one sorry). Your micro Porsche and sea plane were awesome, but I don't know for this one. The whole mechanism for the rear makes it look very clunky and out of scale compared to the rest of the model. I understand that perhaps you had the desire to add gears to a Technic MOC, but I'd think the model as a whole would be better off with a "system" approach. With that I mean: ditch all the gears and just have a knob on a friction pin for the car lift. This would also open up space on top for a crane, which could be cooler as a whole? And that combined with the space between the front and rear wheels which screams to me: put something fun here, outriggers perhaps?

I hope this doesn't sound harsh, it's meant as constructive feedback. Do with it what you want :classic:

It's funny that you say this, because I've always regarded my small Porsche and Seaplane as part of a trilogy and I'm still in pursuit of a third model with the same signature to add to that trilogy. However, this is not that third model. With this model I wanted something that carries the label Technic more legitimately. So I agree that when compared to the trilogy, this model is a bit off, but that's because I want it to have some real Technic features.

But you did give me a nice idea to finish my trilogy :thumbup:, hopefully with outriggers and all :wink:.

Edited by Didumos69

Terrific build with a surprising level of functionality for it's diminutive size.

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

But you did give me a nice idea to finish my trilogy :thumbup:, hopefully with outriggers and all :wink:.

Cool. Glad to be of service :classic:

Very, very nice micro build! Your micro's always amaze me, looking forward to more.

Andy D

21 hours ago, Void_S said:

Honestly, I was expecting something in a blue color, following to the "tow" word and the current trend :grin:, but this small creature also looks incredible. Especially I like how the suspension for the all axles fits into a such small size, well done! :thumbup:

With a little luck it should be possible to build it in yellow, blue and red. All these colors have been used for tow trucks in the past.

I have figured out two options to improve the steering while preserving the solid axle suspension. EDIT: make that three options:

800x360.jpg?a=1

Edited by Didumos69

I have an idea for outriggers as @Appie suggested. Maybe I can tie them together with a red silicon band so they either want to sit straight up or tight to the ground. I also started with a winch, but without a brake it doesn't make much sense.

800x450.jpg

If you continue that way, you'll end buildung under microscope :grin:.

For your creations there should be special subtheme MicroTechnic 

16 hours ago, I_Igor said:

If you continue that way, you'll end buildung under microscope :grin:.

I could actually use one :sweet:, my eyes sometimes have trouble zooming in on details. I made some improvements:

• Improved steering, check.
  • Steering confined to avoid tire scrub, check.
  • Outriggers, check.
  • Smaller gear in the back, check.

Only thing that would be nice to add is a winch to pull a car on the tow. Somewhere in the area right behind the cabin. Anyone having an idea?

800x451.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

@Didumos69, I know what you mean with eyes, I'll go for an eye surgery in several weeks (2 years ago I had retina ablation), so all I can say is to look after your eyes, no-one else except you will look after them. I admire your determination on small scale models :thumbup:

When I see your latest steering solution I can say that some new parts can do wonders :sweet:

@Didumos69 You can make a brake for the winch pretty easily by adding a ratchet-type lock.  If you position it properly you can lock it in both directions.  Here's an example:

IMG_1357_gears_close_2.PNG

On June 14, 2017 at 6:49 AM, BusterHaus said:

Very cute, instructions should take less than 4 months this time. :laugh:

Everytime I come back to this thread, I like this little truck more and more! I really  hope there will be instructions of some kind at some time in the not so distant future. I would really like to build this. Not sure if I could build from the pictures here (great pictures, my skills may be lacking). In fact this would look great on Rebrickable so even non-EB members could see it.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

13 hours ago, Andy D said:

Everytime I come back to this thread, I like this little truck more and more! I really  hope there will be instructions of some kind at some time in the not so distant future. I would really like to build this. Not sure if I could build from the pictures here (great pictures, my skills may be lacking). In fact this would look great on Rebrickable so even non-EB members could see it.

Andy D

Thanks! I will certainly make instructions and put them on Rebrickable. Probably a photo sequence. I think all should be finished by the end of next week.

@TechnicRCRacer, @BusterHaus and @Saberwing40k, thanks for the hints! This is certainly going to be useful!
@Saberwing40k, I suppose I can put an axle in the rotatling part. Does the part you use have some kind of anti-slip friction build in?

Edited by Didumos69