The Librarian

Racing A-Wing

I've been photographing a whole bunch of models today, including this little A-Wing in racing colours I knocked together a couple of months back. A bit of an exercise in refining wedge-shapes and locking upside-down sections in place.

35079355452_3d7c3eac71_b.jpgRacing A-Wing by Librarian-Bot, on Flickr

35079354872_fd95d8f480_c.jpgRacing A-Wing by Librarian-Bot, on Flickr

35204483596_800b9d64ce_c.jpgRacing A-Wing by Librarian-Bot, on Flickr

35079354872_fd95d8f480_c.jpgRacing A-Wing by Librarian-Bot, on Flickr

35079354462_09b4a346ac_c.jpgRacing A-Wing by Librarian-Bot, on Flickr

Impressive! I'm also intrigued about that upside-down slope. Looks a lot sturdier than I managed. :)

Thanks both!

On 11/06/2017 at 10:53 PM, manglegrat said:

Nice! Very sleek, and love the colours. :thumbup:

So how did you lock those upside-down sections in place? 

Mostly through a cunning contrivance of 1x4 plates with two studs. In the right configuration, the flat in the middle allows them to lock sections together with studs in the opposing direction. It's a technique I've used elsewhere and in this case, it worked rather well.

23 hours ago, The Librarian said:

Thanks both!

Mostly through a cunning contrivance of 1x4 plates with two studs. In the right configuration, the flat in the middle allows them to lock sections together with studs in the opposing direction. It's a technique I've used elsewhere and in this case, it worked rather well.

Cool. Thanks for the description of the technique. :thumbup:

I can't get this to work in LDD but I think you're saying you used four #92593 plates in two pairs, one pair inverted and rotated at 90 degrees across other, with the smooth parts touching, right? Must give it a try in plastic sometime soon!

That's the basic idea, yes. In practice, I've used it in combination with other kinds of tiles and plates, but at it's heart, it's exploiting that kind of connection.

2 hours ago, Moppo said:

I think I understand. Like this?

That's exactly what I was trying and failing to do in LDD... :laugh::thumbup:

53 minutes ago, The Librarian said:

That's the basic idea, yes. In practice, I've used it in combination with other kinds of tiles and plates, but at it's heart, it's exploiting that kind of connection.

Cool, thanks - good to have another zero-gap low profile SNOT technique in the toolkit! 

Thanks for posting pictures of the stud inversion technique you used.  Whenever I try to build something complex, stud inversion usually defeats me.  How is the wedge in the center of the nose handled?  The A-wing itself is nicely shaped and nicely colored.  It looks just enough like an A-wing to be convincing, but is just different enough to be visually interesting, like a modified P-51 Mustang or F8F Bearcat used in real-world air racing.

On 18-6-2017 at 0:06 AM, Moppo said:

I think I understand. Like this?

<snip>

now that's clever

Edited by BEAVeR
Please don't quote images

The front landing gear is my favourite idea, haven't seen this before, but it's so effective on this ship. Shame that TLG didn't do this with the stock A-wing

They retired those hinges long ago, otherwise they'd probably have used them.

I like it too. The build looks really sleek and sturdy. Air racing is a lot of fun to watch and I would love to see modified starfighters racing like this one. :thumbup: